Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 02:00 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times

Advertisements

God demonstrates His love for me every day in ways I never had dreamed.
Though you might call it chance, I experience what I comprehend as "God's intervention" often.
Though a friend and I both got coved19, she died under hospital care, and I came through with flying colors with out going to the hospital at all. More than that there are many events in my life that I know for a fact God intervened need on my behalf.
I weigh 270 lbs and working on cleaning off the patio roof I fell through, but not all the way through and was prevented from going to the concrete floor below and lifted my self out of that hole between the rafters.
That was just 2 weeks ago. It's not the first time God prevented me from falling from a roof.
I have injured myself several times in my 71 years and seen His healing in my life often quite fantastic.
Along with my own healing, I have many times laid hands on the sick and injured and seen their own healing and even years later those folk remarking on the healing God did in their lives. Some folk near death, some with scoliosis, and even after a serious fall their back remains straight.
God has altered the weather at my request and done many things for me and I trust Him with my life completely.
I do not manipulate God , I cooperate with Him, and He steps in for me when I reach my limits.
God is Just, and the justifier of those that obey Him, but He has no obligation to listen to rebels unless they choose to repent of their rebellion. God accepts people on His terms not your terms.
This is why the proud will not likely ever change their mind till judgment day.
Who is man that he thinks to Judge God?
Man fails over and over, not by accident, but by rebellion.
God's intention from the beginning was to teach man Himself, man chose rebellion.
Jesus Christ is "God's living word" in the flesh. Put Himself in jeopardy for your sake to provide forgiveness taking the punishment for you, if you will yield to Him.
Refusing to yield you will face the consequences for your rebellion on your own.
You will be your own worst Judge on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 02:02 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I see morality as a quote I developed. It's a bit kitschy, but if you think about it, it works.

"If it feels good, do it.

If it harms you or someone else, don't"
I can buy into that, informal though it may be.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:07 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I agree. I'm not immune. I have sin, and will this side of Heaven. Only Jesus deals with it. Buddhism has no answer to the problem of sin other than to tell you to try harder.
Buddhism has no response to sin because it does not recognize sin or afterlife. It believes suffering is inevitable and then you die. The relief from suffering is in living a life moment to moment in mindfulness and in kindness.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God demonstrates His love for me every day in ways I never had dreamed.
Though you might call it chance, I experience what I comprehend as "God's intervention" often.
Though a friend and I both got coved19, she died under hospital care, and I came through with flying colors with out going to the hospital at all. More than that there are many events in my life that I know for a fact God intervened need on my behalf.
I weigh 270 lbs and working on cleaning off the patio roof I fell through, but not all the way through and was prevented from going to the concrete floor below and lifted my self out of that hole between the rafters.
That was just 2 weeks ago. It's not the first time God prevented me from falling from a roof.
I have injured myself several times in my 71 years and seen His healing in my life often quite fantastic.
Along with my own healing, I have many times laid hands on the sick and injured and seen their own healing and even years later those folk remarking on the healing God did in their lives. Some folk near death, some with scoliosis, and even after a serious fall their back remains straight.
God has altered the weather at my request and done many things for me and I trust Him with my life completely.
I do not manipulate God , I cooperate with Him, and He steps in for me when I reach my limits.
God is Just, and the justifier of those that obey Him, but He has no obligation to listen to rebels unless they choose to repent of their rebellion. God accepts people on His terms not your terms.
This is why the proud will not likely ever change their mind till judgment day.
Who is man that he thinks to Judge God?
Man fails over and over, not by accident, but by rebellion.
God's intention from the beginning was to teach man Himself, man chose rebellion.
Jesus Christ is "God's living word" in the flesh. Put Himself in jeopardy for your sake to provide forgiveness taking the punishment for you, if you will yield to Him.
Refusing to yield you will face the consequences for your rebellion on your own.
You will be your own worst Judge on that day.
What a beautiful testimony!
You have such a lovely Belief arleigh...and just look at all the Blessings!
I really do wish you'd write on this board more often...I love to read your posts.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Point being, how does childishly bickering with said theists (or joining in stereotypes) change anything? Seriously, have you ever actually read some of the posts sans bias or anger - and been able to see it for what it is? It’s unbelievable. Keep in mind the subject of this thread is relative to the R&S Forum as well.

I wouldn’t think to participate in a forum intended for electricians or blue-collar workers, yet alone in order to tout law or business. It’s logical to know what one is fighting for as well as the most effective/sensible place to do so - whether one is promoting a college education, as a whole, or atheism.

I consider it strongly relative to (a lack of) psychological health - particularly re: select (multiple) posts I’ve noted (on both sides of the spectrum). The acceptance of other people and their (non) belief(s), even when we strongly disagree or don’t like them, is a necessary component of being emotionally well-adjusted as is the ability to process anger in a healthy way. Else, people allow their (stored) anger to consume/propel them into foolish behavior/choices or to narcissistically think they have the power to manipulate others’ thoughts (and people will thank them for ‘showing them the light’, so to speak).

I don’t want your religion, and you don’t have to take/adopt my atheism - but you do have to accept my rights (and vice versa). That said, outside of this forum, I think most atheists understand the difference between what we must/can change vs. what we can’t. Hence, it’s really about education - although a different sort than what is (often angrily) presented (or disguised as such) here.

It requires logic/good judgment to see the forest through the trees, and anger is notorious for squashing both.
Us your only message is that atheists should simply shut up and not communicate with theists? Besides here is one of the few opportunities I actually have to mix with Evangelicals and Buddists for example. And in discussions one gets to read the views of Christians that do not agree with each other.I

And I see a lot less anger on these forums than you must. Disagreement and arguing are not signs of anger. I have personally gained great insight into the why and how some theists think and how it affects societies. I also see some differences in Canadian and American societies differ in sone ways because ofvdifferentvreligioys influences.

You can start educating theisis anytime you wish . As I am unsure of what type and style of education you want Ill leave it to you.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:49 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Buddhism has no response to sin because it does not recognize sin or afterlife. It believes suffering is inevitable and then you die. The relief from suffering is in living a life moment to moment in mindfulness and in kindness.
And....God says differently. But what you believe is between you and God on judgment day.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
And....God says differently. But what you believe is between you and God on judgment day.
You presume we believe in judgement day. You just don't get it.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:24 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Yes. Between me and god. Everyday is judgement day.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:48 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think we use the word "sin", but then again we are talking about an English word, rather than a Pali word. We have the Five Precepts that define 'moral behavior' in Buddhism:

Abstain from killing
Abstain from stealing
Abstain from sexual misconduct
Abstain from wrong speech
Abstain from the use of intoxicating substances that cause inattention

They are not commandments, because they are not imposed on people. They are the path to reducing or eliminating suffering for oneself and others. But what is moral behavior? In Buddhism these virtues are not just do this, do that. They get down to the underlying motive of intent.
regarding bold above, the five precepts listed are YES a list of do this, do that. "Abstain from _________"
It is a list of five DO THIS and DO THAT

Old 08-11-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regarding bold above, the five precepts listed are YES a list of do this, do that. "Abstain from _________"
It is a list of five DO THIS and DO THAT
They are not commandments.
There is no supreme being who is going to punish a person for not following them.
The consequences are karmic, and that is, in my view, a cause and effect situation that is not guaranteed.

But of course, as a non-Buddhist, you must be the expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality