U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 01:08 PM

43,014 posts, read 18,682,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is morality another topic that athesists are not supposed to discusx with theiets? BaptistFundie claims that morality for atheists is just personsl.opinions and not based om anything. I attempted to show him tjat all morality is partially based on personal.opinions and from other things.

Is it perferred by you that I allow BaptistFundie to post hie opinions on where we get our morality unchallegened and for all future readers to read his opinon in a vacuum and accept it?
For a poster who seems to think that much should be discussed openly, CC sure posts a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 01:31 PM

10,666 posts, read 5,399,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yet, many here excuse the slavery of the times. Why?
For that very reason, I guess: "Slavery*was a generally accepted way of life in many cultures".
I know that when I mentioned it...that's the reason I got.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:34 PM

10,666 posts, read 5,399,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The key word there is 'excuse'. They tend to be people who will excuse anything their religion does or has done.
Or to cover for people they admire that were slavemasters and other evil things.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:44 AM

14,313 posts, read 3,441,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think you even realize what you just said in this post.

What I bolded...that's precisely what we atheists have been telling you.
We do have an innate, evolved morality that allows us to live in small groups. The more subjective morality you are referring to is because of the larger societies that we live in imposing their group morality on to us as individuals.

This becomes even more interesting when we consider that we now live in a society where we live in more than one or two groups.

But once one realizes why we have a basic morality, then objective morality will follow from that. We do not need a god to explain morality.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:45 PM

6,041 posts, read 2,200,243 times
Quote:
Is morality another topic that athesists are not supposed to discusx with theiets? BaptistFundie claims that morality for atheists is just personsl.opinions and not based om anything.
Too funny. Where are you getting the idea I think morality (or any topic, for that matter) shouldn’t be discussed with theists (or anyone else)? I was doing just that, in fact, by way of my own point re: morality is not measurable nor contingent upon any religion.

Actually, I’m surprised you don’t agree as I’m looking at it from an atheistic standpoint re: lack of measurability (only by way of behavior); and even then, absent a criminal act, one is on shaky ground. How does one measure thought? In other words, stating one is moral (and someone else is not) is ridiculous, in and of itself, particularly relative to any group. By whose standard, and what evidence?

Quote:
Is it perferred by you that I allow BaptistFundie to post hie opinions on where we get our morality unchallegened and for all future readers to read his opinon in a vacuum and accept it?
I don’t read BaptistFundie’s posts; I don’t take her/him seriously and don’t care what she/he thinks re: morality (or any other subject). Who would with a name such as that?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 08-14-2022 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2022, 09:52 PM

4,544 posts, read 3,051,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

I don’t read BaptistFundie’s posts; I don’t take her/him seriously and don’t care what she/he thinks re: morality (or any other subject). Who would with a name such as that?
Hey, my name used to be Day of the Lord, give her/him a break.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:31 PM

59,224 posts, read 34,969,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Hey, my name used to be Day of the Lord, give her/him a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality