Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:39 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

Some who post on the religion forums were once religious, like me, so we may have a different perspective on the subjects being discussed. I was deeply involved in fundamentalist Christianity for a majority of my life. Today I'm more of a pantheist or deist.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:

I believe it is for a variety of reasons. The vocabulary of these individual are indicators of their intent in participating in this forum.
Some may participate because of their disdain towards religious people and/or religious views.
Others may do so to feel smarter than others.
Others do not like differing views so they want to show to others how wrong they are.
Some are legitimately inquiring about others views.

Again, you see the intent by the way the express themselves. Some are condescending, some are rude, some love to put down others views, and others love to be nags.

Some of them claim to be curios but their posts show otherwise. They think people do not notice their ulterior motives.

However, again, some are very honest and open minded.

In my case, I do love to learn about philosophy. To me religious/theological views are not different then different philosophical views in life. So I read about religion no differently than reading about Hume, Lock, or other philosophers just as I may read about what Moses wrote or Jesus said.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
A few possible different reasons (FWIW):

They were a one time 'true believer' of one manner or other, who, after long searching couldn't rectify what they were taught and periodically come to a forum such as this to encourage cognitive dissonance. Or help reinforce why they do not believe what they do or why they are indifferent.

They were a one time true believer of one manner or other, who, after some traumatic experience in some belief construct chooses to inflict hurt back on those who they perceived as causing it or enabling it.

They are simply juvenile minded looking to get a rise out of others and attention since they really have no life outside of the digital realm they choose to live and have lot of time.

They actually seek some way to reinforce why they feel more comfortable in their lack of a belief construct by having some inquisitive parrying, a la, the biblical concept of iron sharpening iron.

They may have never experienced any belief construct in their formative years and after educational reinforcement which tends to denigrate beliefs think its fun to agitate for personal kicks.

They may have never experienced or had reason to investigate belief constructs and their standoffish 'prove it to me' attitude may be a plea toward seeking something beyond the physical realm (spiritual / or not).

It may be analogous to when one finds say, comments on music that are disparaging on a music video, and the performers 'fans' get all up in arms over their appearance asking, 'why listen and post when you don't like the music?'

Some are agitators or there may be some who have a valid musical explanation and they want to say why.. i.e. no talent, strictly a creation of today's corporate marketing machine to promote and sell something, a la, the prosperity preaching televangelist or some such equivalent in the religious realm. I.e. "My God's better than your god"....

Perhaps they think they are 'saving' others? (You may have more in common than you think!)

Old 12-13-2018, 09:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Because they used to be more religious, and don't realize the extremist view they are now taking by trying to deny everything about God.

Immaturity.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
I am simply perplexed.
Try to think of it from a "Zen" standpoint, Yin and Yang, matter and negative space! Just as the solid form of a tree (religion) would not be able to exist if there was not the negative space (Atheism/Agnosticism) for it to occupy. If there was a solid mass of wood everywhere, with no atmosphere or open air space, what existence would you imagine there would be?

Now imagine yourself as a Zen philosopher and artist teaching a pupil to look upwards into the sky and tree branches, but not to focus on the branches, but rather the negative open spaces that are framed or outlined by the branches.

Your'e welcome to grab an easel, sketch pad and some vine charcoal and join us, if you wish...

Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some who post on the religion forums were once religious, like me, so we may have a different perspective on the subjects being discussed. I was deeply involved in fundamentalist Christianity for a majority of my life. Today I'm more of a pantheist or deist.

Exactly right. We all have a unique perspective. It's a bit of catharsis for me to post my story, and it's not unique in the sense that many of us have perspectives that are remarkably similar. I've read stories of religious persecution that make me think about my own reality. If these posts aren't appropriate for the Religion and Spirituality, I don't where they would fit. This is a part of religion, not atheism, not agnosticism.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
First, this part of the forum is about religion and spirituality. As for me, I'm Buddhist.

Second, there is a part of the forum specifically about x-ianity.

Third, to tell people like the OP that they and their egos don't own the world.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
They post to help everyone understand a few things about these certain specific topics.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Why does anyone post on any forum? Obviously, because they want to.

What is the motivation of skeptics and atheists? Well, we don't share a hive mind, so you would have to ask this question of individuals. You should expect differing answers.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that religion has no relevance to skeptics and atheists? We live in a country where a very vocal minority are attempting to legislate their religious beliefs and force them on to everyone else. I consider that quite relevant. I grew up in a religious home, have many relatives and friends who are religious. Religious beliefs impact those relationships, to varying degrees. How could that be not relevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality