Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,277,816 times

Advertisements

All falsehoods eventually run their course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 07:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I'm someone that thinks that the BibleJesus character didn't exist but I do love this...which fits in with what you said about today's Christians.

'Jesus rode on an ass, now asses ride on Jesus.'

We see it every day with the likes of Jeff, Ozzie, BaptistFundie and a few others here.
lmao ... great post. whatever we ride we have to make sure we don't let our belief poop all over other people roads (journey) .

Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,963,369 times
Some Christians have raised the issue:

Jesus is not responsible for his churches' success or failure.

* So Jesus isn't responsible for answering prayers despite what he says in the gospels.

* Jesus isn't responsible for keeping his houses of worship open so Christians can meet to worship him and fellowship with one another.

* Jesus isn't responsible for Christianity thriving and for keeping people saved instead of dropping out of Christianity by the millions.

What exactly is Jesus good for---just saving our souls and then leaving us homeless and sick in the streets to take care of ourselves?

Didn't Jesus say, "If you ask the Father for anything in my name he will give it it to you"?

Try praying, "Father, in Jesus name I just ask for a warm meal and a place to sleep this Christmas Eve." Go ahead you destitute Christians, pray that prayer and then see if a warm meal and a bed magically appear.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:17 AM

1,675 posts, read 579,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you have a problem interpreting the subtleties in the way things are written.

The comment you are responding to shows that it's thrillobyte who can't differentiate between two different issues and keep confusing them in an attempt to prove his believes, not me, I understand perfectly well. It's you all here who can't follow what I am saying because I am not talking neither from the christian side nor the atheist side. This is the never ending discussion you like to engage in. It's the same in the left/right polarization of the politics section.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The comment you are responding to shows that it's thrillobyte who can't differentiate between two different issues and keep confusing them in an attempt to prove his believes, not me, I understand perfectly well. It's you all here who can't follow what I am saying because I am not talking neither from the christian side nor the atheist side. This is the never ending discussion you like to engage in. It's the same in the left/right polarization of the politics section.
You're the one that said, "English is not my first language". And as a result, you are failing to sense subtleties in people's posts, and as a result sometimes misinterpreting what exactly they're saying.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
It's you all here who can't follow what I am saying because I am not talking neither from the christian side nor the atheist side.
In other words:
"There's nothing wrong with my English comprehension, it's all you Americans who cannot comprehend your own native language."

Old 12-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You're the one that said, "English is not my first language". And as a result, you are failing to sense subtleties in people's posts, and as a result sometimes misinterpreting what exactly they're saying.

When I was in high school 3 years into learning English I got 510 in the reading section of the SAT. I few years ago I took a non-official test of the SAT I scored 535. That's above average for white people. I am not white.

If you could point out what I misinterpreted I would gladly apologize.

However, It is obvious thrillobyte is just sticking this little comment: "If Not Imaginary", to push his believes.
So your entire premise is flawed by basing your response on me saying "Jesus is non-existent."
No, it's not. That's what he has been saying throughout the thread:
Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist...

If you have any tangible evidence Jesus is alive today and is answering prayers and delivering his church from impending extinction I would love for you to present it to us.

We'll understand your inability because frankly there is no evidence you have to offer that would satisfy the average skeptic Jesus is alive today.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:01 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
When I was in high school 3 years into learning English I got 510 in the reading section of the SAT. I few years ago I took a non-official test of the SAT I scored 535. That's above average for white people. I am not white.

If you could point out what I misinterpreted I would gladly apologize.

However, It is obvious thrillobyte is just sticking this little comment: "If Not Imaginary", to push his believes.
So your entire premise is flawed by basing your response on me saying "Jesus is non-existent."
No, it's not. That's what he has been saying throughout the thread:
Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist...

If you have any tangible evidence Jesus is alive today and is answering prayers and delivering his church from impending extinction I would love for you to present it to us.

We'll understand your inability because frankly there is no evidence you have to offer that would satisfy the average skeptic Jesus is alive today.
Hey, you first brought up that English was not your native language.

And I've had extensive experience managing an ESOL program in my role as principal.

Technical aspects of English (and other languages) can be taught and learned. But it's the subtleties of any language that are most difficult for second language learners to full grasp. Thrillobyte explained his posts quite well in post # 77. But suffice it to say that English is not a language where you can simply rely on face value. Tone, body language, sarcasm (often missed in reading what has been written) and other such factors all play a part.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Old 12-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Hey, you first brought up that English was not your native language.

And I've had extensive experience managing an ESOL program in my role as principal.

Technical aspects of English (and other languages) can be taught and learned. But it's the subtleties of any language that are most difficult for second language learners to full grasp. Thrillobyte explained his posts quite well in post # 77. But suffice it to say that English is not a language where you can simply rely on face value. Tone, body language, sarcasm (often missed in reading what has been written) and other such factors all play a part.

The comment on English was about orthography, #71.
Tone, body language, sarcasm (often missed in reading what has been written) and other such factors all play a part.
I see this everyday in these forums among native speakers.

The issue here is dishonesty, and my last comment shows it at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality