Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
One would imagine that they are the very people that your god would be welcoming. After all, isn't there more joy in your heaven over one sinner that repents??

So does heroin.

If one wants their prayers heard by God, they should first "repent" and restore what they stole from their neighbors (Matthew 5:23-24). Of course their is also the option for those perishing, to turn to booze and drugs.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-21-2018 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Don't use red text. Read the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're quite Rafius. But none of us are going to stop people from using heroin any more than we're going to stop people from believing in Jesus. Eh! I'm burned out. No more Jesus threads for me.
Don't give up bro. It's just what they want. We need to fight the good fight. Just take a short break to recharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
If one wants their prayers heard by God, they should first "repent" and restore what they stole from their neighbors (Matthew 5:23-24).
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
John 14

I don't see anything there about having to 'repent' first. Apparently one just has to be a Christian.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:29 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Don't give up bro. It's just what they want. We need to fight the good fight. Just take a short break to recharge.
Maybe you're right, R. Ironically, whose words should come to my mind but Jesus:

Quote:
Verily I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for non-believer to convince a believer I am imaginary Matthew 19:24

Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Love may not be able to be proved scientifically but those who love do show it by their observable actions.
That is not the case with the disappearing god or Jesus

You haven't been following the comments. We have already established that the disappearance of christian churches has nothing to do with the existence of a deity. If that was the case, to be consistent, you would have to say the increase of mosques proves the existence of Allah.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
You haven't been following the comments. We have already established that the disappearance of christian churches has nothing to do with the existence of a deity. If that was the case, to be consistent, you would have to say the increase of mosques proves the existence of Allah.
logo, you're really mixing apples with oranges here. Allah takes care of his mosques, Jesus doesn't take care of his churches. Why is that? is it possible Allah is working today and Jesus is not? Why do you think Jesus is letting all these churches collapse and all these Christians walk away? The question begs:

Doesn't Jesus care about his churches and his people?

Now some here have said "Any church that doesn't pay its bills or gets dilapidated will shut down." But then isn't it Jesus' responsibility, as someone who can manufacture money out of thin air and actually owns ALL the money in world, can't he raise the funds for the churches to stay open?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-21-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:18 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Churches closing - if true, and everything on the Internet must be verified these days - it would be due to the hate and nonsense within. Jesus would likely be appalled at much that goes on in modern churches, but those people remain clueless and willfully in the dark.

It ultimately has no bearing on Christianity per se. It's in totality the fault of modern people and humanity; idiots smearing Jesus' name and message.

An analogy and parallel could include a business with a great product, that goes out of business do to fools running it. Or a country with wise originating philosophies and defining documents that goes to the shyter due to the jokers and slugs who get elected.

It's too easy and simplistic to glue the origins and the modern follies of these cases together as one - and then bash the entire system from start to finish - but wise are those who don't fall for that tactic.

The last thing God/Jesus is going to do is jump in and rescue us from our own foolish ways. All through the Bible it is clear that we will be held accountable, and have to face the results of our actions. Jesus isn't going to save a church; he'll let it fall as it should. This makes Jesus all the more honorable and true to his words.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-21-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Churches closing has nothing to do with belief or Jesus or God. Believe it or not, churches are a business. Business wise they are no different than any other business. If the revenue doesn't cover expenses they go out of business. Lots of people, me included believe in God, pray at home, and cut out the middle man. A formal structure, dressing up, singing with congregants, listening to a sermon, are social functions and are not really required in order to have faith. Years ago I played guitar at mass and realized the mass was a performance, the people behind the alter the performers, and the people in the pews the audience. It doesn't mean we weren't all happy to do it, but it was a performance. The religious or spiritual part was when you close your eyes and pray to God, and you can do that anywhere, anytime, for free.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
logo, you're really mixing apples with oranges here. Allah takes care of his mosques, Jesus doesn't take care of his churches. Why is that? is it possible Allah is working today and Jesus is not? Why do you think Jesus is letting all these churches collapse and all these Christians walk away? The question begs:

Doesn't Jesus care about his churches and his people?

Now some here have said "Any church that doesn't pay its bills or gets dilapidated will shut down." But then isn't it Jesus' responsibility, as someone who can manufacture money out of thin air and actually owns ALL the money in world, can't he raise the funds for the churches to stay open?

This is why discussions on religions are fruitless, Religious people are the worst, but so called skeptics are not much better. You are making yet another invalid argument. If you say: "Allah takes care of his mosques, Jesus doesn't take care of his churches." You are de facto accepting that god (of any religion) exist. It is a null argument.

Again, all christian churches can collapse tomorrow. It does not follow from this that Jesus doesn't exist. You are asking yet another poorly made question. Jesus was killed by organized religion, yet you really think that when he said "his people" he was talking about another organized religion just because it was named after him?

I have my own opinion about the usefulness of churches and that's a different subject. I am just focus on this illogical argument you people keep repeating about how it's Jesus job to maintain churches. Now you come with something even more absurd: "someone who can manufacture money out of thin air".

Last edited by thelogo; 12-21-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:28 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Business are of man, and will come and go, just as man. Many churches/religions are run by man, for man, and will also come and go and be tossed around due to human behaviors.

Spirituality needs no church or person, and cannot be tainted or altered by man. It is timeless and universal. Most miss it, distracted by babblings over religion or no-religion, and that we must all go this way or that. Anything that has pushing and pulling is not of God.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-21-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
This is why discussions on religions are fruitless, Religious people are the worst, but so called skeptics are not much better. You are making yet another invalid argument. If you say: "Allah takes care of his mosques, Jesus doesn't take care of his churches." You are de facto accepting that god (of any religion) exist. It is a null argument.

Again, all christian churches can collapse tomorrow. It does not follow from this that Jesus doesn't exist. You are asking yet another poorly made question. Jesus was killed by organized religion, yet you really think that when he said "his people" he was talking about another organized religion just because it was named after him?

I have my own opinion about the usefulness of churches and that's a different subject. I am just focus on this illogical argument you people keep repeating about how it's Jesus job to maintain churches. Now you come with something even more absurd: "someone who can manufacture money out of thin air".
You sound like a lawyer.

"Thrillobyte, you used "is" when you should have used "are". Your argument is invalid."

If you're going to defend your Christianity in this manner then what's the point of holding a discussion with you? You can raise any cockamamie issue you want right down to my argument being invalid because I didn't put a period at the end of my sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality