Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:18 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You sound like a lawyer.

"Thrillobyte, you used "is" when you should have used "are". Your argument is invalid."

If you're going to defend your Christianity in this manner then what's the point of holding a discussion with you? You can raise any cockamamie issue you want right down to my argument being invalid because I didn't put a period at the end of my sentence.

I have not said anything about your orthography, English is not my first language and I myself misspell words. I am criticizing illogical arguments. If you are trying to show that Jesus doesn't exist you shouldn't begin your argument with "Jesus doesn't take care of his churches."
When you ask: "Doesn't Jesus care about his churches and his people?" Whatever answer I give, you are accepting Jesus exist.

So what are we discussing, His existence or that he just "doesn't care"?

Last edited by thelogo; 12-21-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Given the fact that the church in the US has hitched itself to a corrupt, divisive, anti-Christ Presidential administration that lives and breathes hate, rage, and cruelty, I think this trend will only accelerate in the coming years.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:14 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you have any data to back that up?
Which U.S. religious groups are oldest and youngest? | Pew Research Center

Pew demonstrates that mainline church members are markedly older than other churches. This is the phenomenon I am describing. It's real and particularly true in neighborhoods/towns where the majority of residents are older.

I don't have data but I'd expect any typical supermarket megachurch had a congregation that averaged significantly younger than 55 years.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Which U.S. religious groups are oldest and youngest? | Pew Research Center

Pew demonstrates that mainline church members are markedly older than other churches. This is the phenomenon I am describing. It's real and particularly true in neighborhoods/towns where the majority of residents are older.

I don't have data but I'd expect any typical supermarket megachurch had a congregation that averaged significantly younger than 55 years.
And megachurches are a nearly-uniquely American phenomenon.

One built on hubri$, lie$, promi$e$ and proving P.T. Barnum correct.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:59 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I have not said anything about your orthography, English is not my first language and I myself misspell words. I am criticizing illogical arguments. If you are trying to show that Jesus doesn't exist you shouldn't begin your argument with "Jesus doesn't take care of his churches."
When you ask: "Doesn't Jesus care about his churches and his people?" Whatever answer I give, you are accepting Jesus exist.

So what are we discussing, His existence or that he just "doesn't care"?
Logo, if you look carefully at the title you'll see this:

10,000 Churches a Year Close--Pointing to a Savior Who, If Not Imaginary, is An Absolute Do-Nothing

So you see I am not flat-out stating Jesus imaginary. I am stating if he does exist he's negligent--a do-nothing for his people. Personally, I believe he is imaginary and I titled another thread such about a dead missionary. Such is not the case here. Are we clear so far?

So your entire premise is flawed by basing your response on me saying "Jesus is non-existent."

Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Logo, if you look carefully at the title you'll see this:

10,000 Churches a Year Close--Pointing to a Savior Who, If Not Imaginary, is An Absolute Do-Nothing

So you see I am not flat-out stating Jesus imaginary. I am stating if he does exist he's negligent--a do-nothing for his people. Personally, I believe he is imaginary and I titled another thread such about a dead missionary. Such is not the case here. Are we clear so far?

So your entire premise is flawed by basing your response on me saying "Jesus is non-existent."

I am going to respond one more time. In one thread you say a missionary killed proves Jesus is imaginary. Your thinking process is very confused; one thing doesn't follow from the other. Missionaries have been killed since the foundation of Christianity. Then in this thread you open the possibility that Jesus could exist. Again, showing your confusion.

In response to this "hypothetical" case in which Jesus exist, but doesn't do anything, apparently you missed my comment.
...Jesus was killed by organized religion, yet you really think that when he said "his people" he was talking about another organized religion just because it was named after him?
That would be reducing Jesus to modern day revolutionaries who fight against oppression and when they get in power become the new oppressors. I have read many atheist books and they all make good arguments against organized religion. However, their main conclusion is not supported by such arguments. It just means priests and people who believe in them are wrong. It hasn't occurred to you that both priests and atheists are wrong, and there is another path(s).

Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
I am going to respond one more time. In one thread you say a missionary killed proves Jesus is imaginary. Your thinking process is very confused; one thing doesn't follow from the other. Missionaries have been killed since the foundation of Christianity. Then in this thread you open the possibility that Jesus could exist. Again, showing your confusion.

In response to this "hypothetical" case in which Jesus exist, but doesn't do anything, apparently you missed my comment.
...Jesus was killed by organized religion, yet you really think that when he said "his people" he was talking about another organized religion just because it was named after him?
That would be reducing Jesus to modern day revolutionaries who fight against oppression and when they get in power become the new oppressors. I have read many atheist books and they all make good arguments against organized religion. However, their main conclusion is not supported by such arguments. It just means priests and people who believe in them are wrong. It hasn't occurred to you that both priests and atheists are wrong, and there is another path(s).
logo, you know, the fact you say that English is not your native language shows that you are not capable of grasping the finer nuances of English usage. That you cannot tell the difference between one thread where I express my personal opinion that Jesus is imaginary based on the evidence I see, from an entirely DIFFERENT thread where I give the readers/Christians the benefit of the doubt by saying "Maybe Jesus isn't imaginary; maybe he IS real but if he is he's the most do-nothing savior I've ever seen" ---the fact you cannot differentiate between these two stances shows that it's pointless to converse with you, in which case I am ceasing to respond to your posts.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
logo, you know, the fact you say that English is not your native language shows that you are not capable of grasping the finer nuances of English usage. That you cannot tell the difference between one thread where I express my personal opinion that Jesus is imaginary based on the evidence I see, from an entirely DIFFERENT thread where I give the readers/Christians the benefit of the doubt by saying "Maybe Jesus isn't imaginary; maybe he IS real but if he is he's the most do-nothing savior I've ever seen" ---the fact you cannot differentiate between these two stances shows that it's pointless to converse with you, in which case I am ceasing to respond to your posts.

I am responding just because I find this very funny.

Your very first respond in this thread:
Quote:
Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I am responding just because I find this very funny.

Your very first respond in this thread:
I think you have a problem interpreting the subtleties in the way things are written.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It ultimately has no bearing on Christianity per se. It's in totality the fault of modern people and humanity; idiots smearing Jesus' name and message.
I'm someone that thinks that the BibleJesus character didn't exist but I do love this...which fits in with what you said about today's Christians.

'Jesus rode on an ass, now asses ride on Jesus.'

We see it every day with the likes of Jeff, Ozzie, BaptistFundie and a few others here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality