Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
When I ask Santa for something ...it always comes about.
Does that bother anyone?
If so, why?
I wrote this so long ago I had to go back and see what the heck I wrote.
I rem now it was stirred by people that get bothered by what other people do or believe.
I don't really ask Santa for a thing, btw ...I just am not bothered by
people asking the Universe, Krishna or their Aunt Betty for help - if it works, good for them!

I think it's funny, thus ' '---that these things bother people...and a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I don't see the need for regrets or doubts. Even if the point you made was invalid, and that was pointed out, we'd all learn from it. Being wrong is sometimes more valuable than being right. Certainly more valuable than never admitting being wrong.

But your point seemed valid, like the atheist analogy of praying to a milk - jug, my cat or Joe Peschi (George Carlin). As he says, the success -rate was about the same; sometimes you got it, sometimes not. It's the same with praying to Santa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlzbFxYy08c

I might pray to Joe Peschi too, if he can handle neighbours with barking dogs. Have you even noticed, they have the same barking pooch for decades, even if dogs don't live that long. The conclusion is they get another dog and teach that to bark, too. Yeah...I think it's done deliberately, just to annoy the neigbours. Time for a touch of Joe.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-26-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2019, 06:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
I rem now it was stirred by people that get bothered by what other people do or believe.
people asking the Universe, Krishna or their Aunt Betty for help - if it works, good for them!

I think it's funny, thus ' '---that these things bother people...and a lot!
thats right miss. when we look at "why it bothers one" we then can start comparing why people are making the claims they do. We can see if the those reactions are distorting assigning the proper weights to observations.

"why does it bother one to focus on things like "something more, not more gods."?
"why does it bother one when we state the man didn't die and rise for our sins as some teach."?

Why is the focus on proving anti-god or my-god only? The answers shed light on what we are up against.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:40 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:

I think it's funny---that these things bother people...and a lot!
but that describes you, because you consistently post how you don't like "religion"
you specifically disparage holy books by name,
so you are clearly bothered by what others believe.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but that describes you, because you consistently post how you don't like "religion"
Ah, correcting me again.
Not liking religion = being bothered now - ok.

I can get bothered by many things for less than a minute, that I would really get worked
up about before.
I'm growing in leaps and bounds...even if you looked at a post from 2 yrs ago here.
So?

Religion is something that teaches my brothers and sisters things that are not only untrue, but, stifle their soul growth. I used to care about that.
As I grow and get older - I care less and less, since I get more and more that each is on
their own Path...
and all going Home eventually, yay.

I used to be bothered by people that didn't use capitalization, too ..not anymore.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I think it is about religion being like a cast sometimes. It helps people heal. That single line of logic is why I can't be anti-religious.

But also, like a cast, it stunts the growth of healthy people. and since most people are healthy I feel it holds them down . Where I differ from most is that I apply that logic to my statement of belief about your god also.

religion is just like pain killers. from natural herbal pain relief to aspirin to heroin. Its when a heroin addict tells us that "deny all pain killers is what we need to do." that I have trouble with. or they defend being n active addict despite the destruction around them

Old 10-27-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think it is about religion being like a cast sometimes.

It helps people heal. That single line of logic is why I can't be anti-religious.
But also, like a cast, it stunts the growth of healthy people.
Are you sure some brilliant philosopher like Bertrand Russel didn't say that?
Kidding.
That was VERY impressive!

And quotable.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:10 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Ah, correcting me again.
Not liking religion = being bothered now - ok.

I can get bothered by many things for less than a minute, that I would really get worked
up about before.
I'm growing in leaps and bounds...even if you looked at a post from 2 yrs ago here.
So?

Religion is something that teaches my brothers and sisters things that are not only untrue, but, stifle their soul growth. I used to care about that.
As I grow and get older - I care less and less, since I get more and more that each is on
their own Path...
and all going Home eventually, yay.

I used to be bothered by people that didn't use capitalization, too ..not anymore.
One of the things I most like about you is your open-mindedness, which I see online and have seen, of course, in person.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
....I used to be bothered by people that didn't use capitalization, too ..not anymore.
it still bothers you enough to point it out

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-27-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Are you sure some brilliant philosopher like Bertrand Russel didn't say that?
Kidding. That was VERY impressive!

And quotable.
Miss H if you find it "impressive" and "quotable" to say religion "stunts the growth of healthy people" then clearly religion still bothers you very much. Yet again, yet another display and demonstration of the intolerance and denigration you continue to express for those with a different path to God than yours. More disapproval from you towards paths that honor, love, worship, and connect to God.

Not a post from two years ago, a view you expressed today, a few hours ago.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-27-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality