Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Miss H if
you find it "impressive" and "quotable" to say religion "stunts the growth of healthy people", then clearly religion still bothers
you very much. Yet again, yet another display and demonstration of the intolerance and denigration
you
continue to express for those with a different path to God than
yours
You
disapprove strongly of many many paths that honor, love, worship, and connect to God.
Not a post from two years ago, a post from today, a few hours ago.
The ones that call my Heavenly Father a murderous monster, that punishes innocents to an eternal, fiery, (((hell))),
bringing children up to live in fear of a loving God used to more than bother me --but, what good
does that really do?
Better to give up and say, ''Oh well''. Disapproval and being bothered are different.
I know what 'bothered' feels like.

Everyone is on their own Path to the same place...a wonderful place.
If someone wants to think that bothers me now - 'Oh well'.

Intolerance to paths to God, that's actually pretty funny ---'All roads lead to Rome' -
all paths lead to God;
Buddhist, Sufi, Sikh, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Native Am beliefs, etc...as far as I believe.
The ones that think He's a monster, are needlessly unhappy paths, tho-- to me.
But, again, whatever floats their boat.
Not bothered by them thinking my Dad is a cruel monster, like years ago.

I used to roll my eyes about some beliefs; consider the self-chain-flogging of Catholics, climbing on their bloody knees to a Shrine.
Now all I can say is, "Oh well...they're doin' what they gotta do."

If there is a chain flogger, knee climber reading this,
"Jesus already suffered so you wouldn't have to...be happy!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 11:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Are you sure some brilliant philosopher like Bertrand Russel didn't say that?
Kidding.
That was VERY impressive!

And quotable.
It was a good quote. It's the same idea as 'Religion is good for you."

"So is medicine - if you're sick. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money."

"We are all sick."

"No. That is a lie told by religion to sell you its' snake -oil."

Old 10-27-2019, 12:11 PM

22,203 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It was a good quote. It's the same idea as 'Religion is good for you."
"So is medicine - if you're sick. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money."
"We are all sick."
"No. That is a lie told by religion to sell you its' snake -oil."
the view was put forth in this thread that religion is for those who are sick, that religion stunts the growth of healthy people, and that religion stunts a person's soul growth, that it is like a cast, that the person is broken, unhealthy, needs to be fixed. Pew Research shows that 84% of the world identifies with religion. So the view expressed in this CD thread is saying 84% of the world is sick and not healthy and their soul growth is stunted.

a person doesn't have to look very far to see that is illogical, irrational, and inaccurate.
the view that "religion is for those who are sick" is entirely about contempt and arrogance and superiority, it is condemnation.
as is the view that religion is "lies to sell you snake oil"

it is transparent when views are expressed that are virulently anti religion. when someone makes a blanket condemnation such as "religion does this" as if all religions act the same, do the same, think the same, it reveals a person's ignorance. it also reveals the ugliness of contempt at the core of those virulently anti-religion.

there is a difference between disagreeing, and condemning others as sick, unhealthy, liars, broken, in need of being fixed.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-27-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
the view was put forth in this thread that religion is for those who are sick, that religion stunts the growth of healthy people, and that religion stunts a person's soul growth, that it is like a cast, that the person is broken, unhealthy, needs to be fixed. Pew Research shows that 84% of the world identifies with religion. So the view expressed in this CD thread is saying 84% of the world is sick and not healthy and their soul growth is stunted.

a person doesn't have to look very far to see that is illogical, irrational, and inaccurate.
Fallacy ad populum.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:47 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
<snip>

First, thanks for teaching me a new word.

Second, while I would not use that word to describe the issue, you make a valid point. Admittedly, all of us -- or at least most of us, by far -- can be hypocritical from time to time. Our passions get ahead of us. We may think we're open-minded only to actually be rather narrow-minded. I am reminded of a website called RateMyTeachers.com. On it, parents and students could rate their teachers, including with comments, and it could get pretty harsh. But, while many teachers summarily dismissed the site, I (as a principal) and some teachers did look over our ratings every once in a while, and while anonymous postings need to be taken with a grain of salt, I and others always learned something about how our community and students perceived us. And sometimes they were right.

Moderator cut: Remarks about members removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-27-2019 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Edited, & quoted post removed.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
<snip>

Learned 2 things harridan and that someone is very bothered...but it isn't with me - I hardly fit the bill as the target.
But, will not be expecting any apology.

Note: A love of God or happily following Jesus' teachings are different than following rigid dogmas/
doctrines/ rituals set by powerful
men in the early centuries...the very same that relished the Inquisitions.

Oh added: The whole premise of the thread was not to be bothered by what others believe - even if Santa was my guy now. Thus, - indicating this isn't some deep, hot discussion.
It wasn't til the the 20th page and a year later that religion being like a cast was brought up.
It does heal people.
Then, the whole going 'off the deep, over-reactive end' started up; projecting the whole thing onto me started.
And I never said the things in the post after this one...others have, tho.

Um, just sayin' ---I notice these things.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-27-2019 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Quoed post removed.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:59 PM

22,203 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, thanks for teaching me a new word. Second, while I would not use that word to describe the issue, you make a valid point. Admittedly, all of us -- or at least most of us, by far -- can be hypocritical from time to time. Our passions get ahead of us. We may think we're open-minded only to actually be rather narrow-minded. I am reminded of a website called RateMyTeachers.com. On it, parents and students could rate their teachers, including with comments, and it could get pretty harsh. But, while many teachers summarily dismissed the site, I (as a principal) and some teachers did look over our ratings every once in a while, and while anonymous postings need to be taken with a grain of salt, I and others always learned something about how our community and students perceived us. And sometimes they were right..
is it "open minded" or "narrow minded" to claim all religions are the same, do the same, think the same, teach the same?
is the view that religion is for people who are sick, broken, unhealthy "open minded" or "narrow minded"?
is the view that 84% of the world population is buying snake oil from liars "open minded" or "narrow minded"?
is it "open minded" or "narrow minded" to say that 84% of the world population has stunted their soul growth?

to say a person can only find God without religion, is no different than saying a person can only find god within a certain religion, or by following a certain prophet. is that "open minded" or "narrow minded"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-27-2019 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
is it "open minded" or "narrow minded" to claim all religions are the same, do the same, think the same, teach the same?
is the view that religion is for people who are sick, broken, unhealthy "open minded" or "narrow minded"?
is the view that 84% of the world population is buying snake oil from liars "open minded" or "narrow minded"?
is it "open minded" or "narrow minded" to say that 84% of the world population has stunted their soul growth?
1. The problem is not necessarily the content of the various religions. The problem is often how religious organizations behave, and it is not very different than how most any organizations behave. And, over time, organizations -- including religious organizations, follow certain patterns of organizational behavior that are negative to the very concepts that caused them to develop to begin with. We certainly see that in the Catholic Church. I see it in the Supreme Sangha in Thailand. And we have seen it in any number of other religious groups.

2. Is religion for people who are sick, broken, and unhealthy? Yes. At least that is much of Jesus' teaching. But religion is for others, as well.

3. Are there lots of snake oil salesmen in religion? Yup. Are they all snake oil salesmen? Nope.

4. In terms of "stunted their soul growth", let me ask you this question: Pick any of the mainstream religions in the United States (catholic, methodist, baptist, prebyterian, etc.). I wonder if a member from 1820 or 1920 would look at a member in 2019 and think they were caring for their souls in the proper way.

If a church organization -- any church organization -- cannot handle and survive serious critiquing, then there's something wrong. It's like Jeopardy. The questions and answers get tougher the higher you go.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:47 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It does heal people.
True, but I'm not in it for the healing. I'm in it because it's just right for me.

I'm glad you're doing what's right for you, too, Miss H. Keep on being your lovely, funny, quirky self.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,513 times
Well God always taught me about The Elves & Little People He has working for Him. The Angels of The Most High would take me to all the different worlds on parallel universes around us & Elves would often appear & start to communicate. Then one day when The Angels of God returned me to the earth I found that one of the Elves had come back with me. I was so surprised. It stayed at my house for 3 years & introduced me to all the different types of Little People & The Giants. I was taken to visit all of their lands. The Egyptians knew all about the Elves. That is why they show Little People in a lot of their art.
The Bible only mentions The Giants & not The Little People. But The Little People are a very big deal in the minds of people who follow the Saint Nicholas Tradition

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality