Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
More likely he'd put you to work sewing lace around Peter Pan
collars so you could earn all that stuff you ask for
Santa's boring, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Santa's boring, then.
I agree!!!

Old 12-21-2018, 09:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I agree!!!
Where did you get this picture of me!!!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Don't you just love it when Todd Bentley gets his Fred Flintstone on.
Todd Bentley was convicted of committing "heinous" sex crimes as a youngster, and has been accused of murder as a preacher. If the girl in the video escaped being in contact with him unharmed she's fortunate.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 12-24-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 02:10 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Todd Bentley was convicted of committing "heinous" sex crimes as a youngster, and has been accused of murder as a preacher. If the girl in the video escaped being in contact with him unharmed she's fortunate.
I didn't know about either of those things.

I was aware that his marriage broke down during a period of time that he was ministering. We had his Spanish interpreter come and speak at our church one Sunday, so I quizzed him after about matters. He said Todd would spend so long in his room seeking the Holy Spirit that he'd come out "dripping" with the anointing. I also heard Bob Jones first hand say that one of his own ministering angels,.called Emma, also swapped over to Todd Bentley's ministry, on an occasion that they met - a kind of promotion I suppose.

The problem is in judging others. And with respect to those who perform, demonstrate gifting or anointing, seeking to get something of perceived value from that person, especially in a public setting is not something I'd go for. It is better to seek the Father for oneself, which is what Todd apparently does, despite his failings. In that regard he quite well fits biblical archetypes.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
The problem is in judging others. And with respect to those who perform, demonstrate gifting or anointing, seeking to get something of perceived value from that person, especially in a public setting is not something I'd go for. It is better to seek the Father for oneself, which is what Todd apparently does, despite his failings. In that regard he quite well fits biblical archetypes.
I find there is a BIG difference between 'personal judging' ( imputing a wrong or bad motive to another )
and someone judging 'God's Judgement' on matters as recorded in Scripture.
Even the human judges in ancient Israel were to use 'God's recorded judgement' as to what was right or wrong.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find there is a BIG difference between 'personal judging' ( imputing a wrong or bad motive to another )
and someone judging 'God's Judgement' on matters as recorded in Scripture.
Even the human judges in ancient Israel were to use 'God's recorded judgement' as to what was right or wrong.
I've got to be honest, I'm not sure that God judges us, anymore - I mean, I used to believe that, but now I'm not so sure. I'm more inclined to think that it was man's ideas of right and wrong that were projected onto God as being from Him, and supposedly written down verbatim.

My understanding is that earthly laws are written by man, for man. There were no other cultures prior to the Jews who had had laws from their own God.

People who have NDE's attest to the notion that we judge ourselves - during the life review one experiences the feelings of the other person one did the harm to. That ingeniously accords entirely with let a man examine himself, and with reaping what we have sown, which appears to be the more fundamental laws of how the universe works. If God spoke any law into the fabric of how things are, then it has to be that of reaping and sowing, also known as natural / spiritual law, and karma, depending what background one views it from.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
When I ask Santa for something ...it always comes about. Does that bother anyone? If so, why?
For me the question goes the other way. _Not_ doing the Santa thing in my family with my children has bothered a lot of people over the years. Some seriously so - and on this very forum. Some of the reactions to it have been weirdly disproportionate in fact. I have been accused of literally destroying their childhood for example - and told I should not even be allowed parent for another. And they are just the repeatable comments.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
For me the question goes the other way. _Not_ doing the Santa thing in my family with my children has bothered a lot of people over the years. Some seriously so - and on this very forum. Some of the reactions to it have been weirdly disproportionate in fact. I have been accused of literally destroying their childhood for example - and told I should not even be allowed parent for another. And they are just the repeatable comments.
no, maybe not mom. I will be direct with you because you are direct. I don't believe. I sent my children to ccd so that I can teach them how to form a belief weighing all the options. I taught my children christmas so they can navigate the society they are going to live in. My teachings were certainly geared around allowing people to believe and do what they want, with reason.

I also taught them they have a responsibility to people around them.

I know its harsh, but its true. I see the unwarranted stress on children done by parents with an axe everyday in my life. They can't teach their children without the axe. Their kids gets chopped, even with love. i feel you could have eased them into society, guiding and showing them the pitfalls of christmas and beliefs like it. helping them to navigate the insane world we live in.

over all i agree with you. I wish it was different too. but what would you have us celebrate? newton? newton was a jerk of a person.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
i feel you could have eased them into society, guiding and showing them the pitfalls of christmas and beliefs like it. helping them to navigate the insane world we live in.
Errrr - I do do all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
but what would you have us celebrate?
I would not. What anyone else celebrates is absolutely no care of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality