Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
therefore....nothing to be "amazed" about
unless someone fails to grasp really basic concepts. Raf's post falls into that category
Well if you can't see the very real difference between the two I'm clearly wasting my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Raf not grasping basic concepts.

He is using hyperbole to make a point... He wonders why faith in an afterlife that is supposed to far surpass the tribulations of our life here doesn't somehow override the survival instinct.
Yes. I don't understand why Christians aren't falling over themselves to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No, I got no such thing, Pleroo. Fundies like jimmij and Baptistfundie and their compadres are experts at apologizing for Jesus. They're not fools. They see that God doesn't listen to prayer requests. But they have to keep the lie alive that He does, right?
I don't think they can see that God doesn't listen. Answering in the manner which by all appearances one would expect based on some of the passages in the bible, that's a different matter. But my point is, I don't know any Christians who DO take those passages at face value to mean all their requests will be answered and no harm will come to them. That's what you said you wished, I thought.

But now that I go back and read, it seems what you really wish is that Christians believed that God is nowhere to be found and doesn't care? May I ask why you think people would be better off going from one extreme of thought to another?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well if you can't see the very real difference between the two I'm clearly wasting my time.

Yes. I don't understand why Christians aren't falling over themselves to get there.
And my reply to that was, the survival instinct. I don't believe that is easily overridden.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
And my reply to that was, the survival instinct. I don't believe that is easily overridden.
Suicide bombers don't seem to have a problem overcoming it. I think that if Christians REALLY believed that they were going to spend an eternity in paradise with the entity that they have grovelled before for most of their lives then nothing would hold them back. That they are not lining up to go is a good indication of their doubts.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Suicide bombers don't seem to have a problem overcoming it. I think that if Christians REALLY believed that they were going to spend an eternity in paradise with the entity that they have grovelled before for most of their lives then nothing would hold them back. That they are not lining up to go is a good indication of their doubts.
Okay, Is doubt a bad thing in your mind?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Okay, Is doubt a bad thing in your mind?
Doubt would have me going along with Pascal's Wager which I do not do.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Doubt would have me going along with Pascal's Wager which I do not do.
Not all Christians (or other "believers") treat their faith like a get out of jail free card or a ticket to heaven. Their faith/trust that God is present in the here and now is profoundly important to them. Not being certain about how/if that will translate to an afterlife doesn't negate the value it has for them now.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
I don't think they can see that God doesn't listen. Answering in the manner which by all appearances one would expect based on some of the passages in the bible, that's a different matter. But my point is, I don't know any Christians who DO take those passages at face value to mean all their requests will be answered and no harm will come to them. That's what you said you wished, I thought.

But now that I go back and read, it seems what you really wish is that Christians believed that God is nowhere to be found and doesn't care? May I ask why you think people would be better off going from one extreme of thought to another?
Your post has two questions, Pleroo. I'll take them one by one:

Quote:
I think all Christians, except the deranged ones, don't hear an audible voice of God talking back to them. Most get this warm fuzzy feeling in their heart which they interpret as the Holy Spirit talking back to them. They may imagine they heard a "Yes" or a "No" sometimes. They didn't of course. That was just their subconscious or their emotions talking back to them in response to some difficulty they are facing. "Should I leaven my church?" "No" their emotions says back to them so they go to their friends and say, The Holy Spirit told me I shouldn't leave." Happened to me all the time when I was a Christian. So in their minds God is really listening and answering. But He isn't, of course. It's all in their heads. That's point #1.

You say,

"But my point is, I don't know any Christians who DO take those passages at face value to mean all their requests will be answered and no harm will come to them."

I imagine if they're in their right minds some realize this on some level. But then if they know they stand just as good or bad odds of winning the lottery or being killed on the highway as an atheist why do they bother to pray for protection? Is it because Paul commands them to "pray in all thing without ceasing"? There doesn't seem to be any value to praying for protection except for some vague feeling of supernatural protection they may feel is now surrounding them after they pray. From a practical point there's no value to the prayer. So why pray?

My only wish is that all Christians would come to realize that, as Mike555 and Thoreau and a few other Christians admitted, "Jesus never promised to protect Christians from harm". And that includes dopey ministers who pray for protection for a month before stepping into a river of crocodiles and getting torn to shreds in a matter of minutes

Quote:
A Pastor Tries to Walk on Water and Gets Devoured by Crocodiles in Front of His Whole Church
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...athan-Mthethwa

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply He doesn't care. What I was trying to say is that as a deist God he has deliberately removed Himself from taking part in what goes on in this earth and has fixed natural laws in place to govern everything. There hasn't been a single incidence of a supernatural intervention by God that can be demonstrated scientifically i.e. video, photo, medically, geologically or otherwise. I'd say until someone can produce a video of Jesus that passes muster with the scientific community it is certain to stay that way.

Now as I said, if Christians want to have conversations with themselves and pretend or fool themselves into believing they're talking with Jesus that perfectly fine. I find great value in that because talking out one's problems with someone, even if they are imaginary, has great therapeutic value for relieving distress, heartache, pressures from life, etc. I'm all for that. Ultimately, it helps not just the person but all of us if the person is deranged enough to go on a shooting spree and prayer calms him down. But no Christian should ever believe they get a supernatural benefit from God for food or a job or a roof over their heads or an auto to get to work as a direct result of prayer because they won't. If it happens, it happens with the same frequency of chance as it does for any other kind of person, Hindu, Krishna, atheist, Muslim, etc.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:18 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Your post has two questions, Pleroo. I'll take them one by one:

I think all Christians, except the deranged ones, don't hear an audible voice of God talking back to them. Most get this warm fuzzy feeling in their heart which they interpret as the Holy Spirit talking back to them. They may imagine they heard a "Yes" or a "No" sometimes. They didn't of course. That was just their subconscious or their emotions talking back to them in response to some difficulty they are facing. "Should I leaven my church?" "No" their emotions says back to them so they go to their friends and say, The Holy Spirit told me I shouldn't leave." Happened to me all the time when I was a Christian. So in their minds God is really listening and answering. But He isn't, of course. It's all in their heads. That's point #1.

It doesn't have to be an audible voice. It's a clear voice in your mind and your heart. Not a vague feeling. I had a friend in college that told me God spoke to her in this way and clearly revealed the name of the man that she was to marry. She didn't know the guy or ever met him, but some time later, he walked into her life and they fell deeply in love. There is all kinds of amazing things going on in Christianity if you don't shut yourself off to the truth.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It doesn't have to be an audible voice. It's a clear voice in your mind and your heart. Not a vague feeling. I had a friend in college that told me God spoke to her in this way and clearly revealed the name of the man that she was to marry. She didn't know the guy or ever met him, but some time later, he walked into her life and they fell deeply in love. There is all kinds of amazing things going on in Christianity if you don't shut yourself off to the truth.
Rubbish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality