Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:11 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

News article: "Fiery Head-On Crash Kills 5 Children [Christians] on Way To DisneyWorld"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-crash-n954726

Children dying in not news. Sadly, even Christian toddlers dying horribly mangled in accidents through no fault of their own is not news anymore. But it has to make Christians wonder deep down what kind of a savior they worship--a savior who once said, "Suffer the little children to come unto me" Who knew Jesus was speaking literally "Suffer pretty horribly and then die when you come unto me"

Many Christians have a tough time coming to terms with tragedies like these: little 4-year-old Christian girls abused and raped by their pedophile pastor fathers. Others who are raped and then strangled and dumped in a ditch. Always the question comes up, "Where was Jesus when all this was going down? Why...watching the show from a front-row seat, of course, and doing absolutely nothing to stop it, not even to the extent of just killing the child with a heart attack or something to relieve the child of the suffering. But apparently even that is too hard for Jesus to manage. Or maybe he simply doesn't care. Or maybe he doesn't even exist. That would be the most logical explanation.

But the excuse-making Christian apologists come up with has reached a new level of complete drivel. From "God's ways are mysterious. Who can know them" to "Protecting little Christian children would be showing favoritism toward them and God is not a respecter of persons" to "It would rob them of their free will". To choose between living or dying, I suppose the apologists mean. Of course when a Christian child is mangled in a horrific fiery crash and then dragged under an auto for 100 feet it does make one wonder that if Jesus truly wanted these children dead couldn't he have found a little gentler way of killing them? It's even more ironic when you read Psalm 91:

Quote:
"He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague. … For he orders his angels to protect you wherever you go.
I have to laugh every time I read that. Jesus does a pretty good job of protecting his children, doesn't he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I must say...I would want you on my debate team in college.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
News article: "Fiery Head-On Crash Kills 5 Children [Christians] on Way To DisneyWorld"

Children dying in not news. Sadly, even Christian toddlers dying horribly mangled in accidents through no fault of their own is not news anymore. But it has to make Christians wonder deep down what kind of a savior they worship--a savior who once said, "Suffer the little children to come unto me" Who knew Jesus was speaking literally "Suffer pretty horribly and then die when you come unto me"

Many Christians have a tough time coming to terms with tragedies like these: little 4-year-old Christian girls abused and raped by their pedophile pastor fathers. Others who are raped and then strangled and dumped in a ditch. Always the question comes up, "Where was Jesus when all this was going down? Why...watching the show from a front-row seat, of course, and doing absolutely nothing to stop it, not even to the extent of just killing the child with a heart attack or something to relieve the child of the suffering. But apparently even that is too hard for Jesus to manage. Or maybe he simply doesn't care. Or maybe he doesn't even exist. That would be the most logical explanation.

But the excuse-making Christian apologists come up with has reached a new level of complete drivel. From "God's ways are mysterious. Who can know them" to "Protecting little Christian children would be showing favoritism toward them and God is not a respecter of persons" to "It would rob them of their free will". To choose between living or dying, I suppose the apologists mean. Of course when a Christian child is mangled in a horrific fiery crash and then dragged under an auto for 100 feet it does make one wonder that if Jesus truly wanted these children dead couldn't he have found a little gentler way of killing them? It's even more ironic when you read Psalm 91:

I have to laugh every time I read that. Jesus does a pretty good job of protecting his children, doesn't he?
What you have is, a crictique on a certain aspect on Christian theology.

I am not sure what’s the point of posting such posts?
Did someone ask you to open the OP and tell about your findings? Probably not.

Are you subtlety proselytizing that since you found a flaw in the Christian doctrine so the rest of the Christian world could also take a note from your “deeply thought philosophy” and leave their religion?

If certain aspects of Christianity does not sit well with your logic and intelligence then reject it and move on. But that’s where the problem comes in.

“Move on”, but to where?

You probably don’t have a destination so you are wandering around picking up on things for fun and time pass. In such cases, usually one runs out of doing things and gets fed up.

Otherwise if you had a destination and if you were on a journey to recognize God by his signs then you would perhaps an idea that if Christianity does not sit well with your logic, then it doesn’t automatically mean that God does not exist. You would continue with your and “Moved on”.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

With your reading of Psalm 91, all humans would need to be immortal on Earth, right?

Old 01-05-2019, 03:52 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
1) This world is under the curse (Gen. 3) and bad things happen to everyone;

2) Any Christians involved in the accident are now in paradise (Heaven) with Jesus.

Sincerely,
jimmiej, Christian

Old 01-05-2019, 05:23 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I must say...I would want you on my debate team in college.
Now see that people?

Good O'll Miss H, that is how you find the good, good on ya Miss H.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Thread topic doesn't seem to have anywhere to go. Closed.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Thread reopened as posters have indicated interest in furthering the discussion.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
MightyQueen has been gracious enough to reopen the thread and I promise this will be my last thread on Jesus. But GoCardinal made a good post and I wanted to respond with my talking points. I'm going out for the day but will resume when I get back tonight.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
When bad things happen to good people, (let's make that sweeping statement to cover lots of things)...
I have never once blamed God.
(It would never cross my mind to blame Jesus or Krishna either.)
When I was very immature, I blamed my parents a lot, tho.....ha, no more; wisdom prevailed!
I thank them now and the Universe that figured out for me to be with them.

For one thing, even tho I have had my share of enormous heart ache from deaths and injuries, oh my...(if I told you
you wouldn't believe this pain could happen to anyone unless they stepped on a landmine....
but I'm ok, took 2 yrs)...
I never thought anything was done or not done by the 'Supreme Being that created everything'.
Just like a friend that was in the hospital for 6 months after a car hit him while he was on a sidewalk...I look at myself.

All the good, the bad and the ugly comes from me. All of it...all the lessons, the boomerang reaping of what I have sown...all about ME.
It is the System that has been brilliantly set up.

I don't know why you, Thrill or a Catholic woman in my old Book Club, thinks to blame Jesus or God that they didn't step in.
I will be one of those that falls into the category of saying: There is a much bigger picture at play...we don't have all the info..so be quiet, don't judge the situation.

To those that don't have belief or direct exp from, say, an NDE, or an STE, (spiritually transforming exp of any kind)...
I understand this is a tough statement to swallow, of course!!!
So don't believe a word I say.

Seeing is believing...I am a big proponent of that..hang in there, maybe a roof tile will fall on
your head someday and open some Cosmic Insight in your brain!
Ya never know.
Cuz the logical intellect is not ever going to give you satisfactory answers into the Unseen...
I realized that when I was 19. (Well, with help from Jung, B. Russell and Einstein...they said it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality