Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You don't 'know' it. You believe it.

Ah, a simple but profound difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not so far old thing. It's been a bloody disaster.

I'm so sorry. *hugs*

If I could make it better I would.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
some of us have seen our dead ancestors .. so thus we KNOW IT!
just as eyewitnesses of history declared and recorded it !
you chose to "believe" those who would never want to see it.
niether would they have recorded the truth if they saw it ! would they ?
They would have proclaimed their eyes were "seeing things" like "tricks" and pretend "magic" ... thus they would have refused to witness the truth..

Jesus died so that we can Have Liberty in all things except to choose to harm others in anyway. and thus harm God's and his creations!
His intentions is very simple and very pure for us to love each other . mankind choses every day to take other mens liberty and free will.. one day they will cross that line...

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 01-12-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree with you. the study wasn't really proof of much past some mentally broken soldiers had issues.

I don't follow you. "killed because they made a mistake according to scriptures." isn't that punishment?

I am no expert in the ot. But I think their point is that god killed people for not following him (god) and they think its murderous.. I mean as presented by the fundy.

I am an atheist so I see a story about an oppressed people that revolted and fought their way out. They were able to accomplish because of a series of natural and man made events that weakened the egyptians.

we are arguing the point of the fundy, not the regulars (right now). God killed these people because they we weren't praising him and enslaved his chosen people. and we feel that specific interpretation is wrong

we are saying that is whoopdee doo doo.

I am just going to respond one more time because this is really fruitless.

I am glad you can see the study for what it really is. If science was a religion Matadora will be its most fundamentalist follower. Not only is the conclusions totally deceptive, they are based on a belief: that religious thoughts are created in the brain. You hit the brain in a certain region and you become religious, what an absurd fantasy some people accept as indisputable fact. The amount of faith put into those scientific studies are higher than the faith for religious beliefs, Why? Because these new beliefs are based on materialistic misconceptions rather than tradition.

When I said that people in the past were killed for mishandling the scriptures that is not something I have taken out the bible, that is recorded history. When the bible says that sinners will be punished by god, that is not something to be taken literally. You cannot understand the bible if you read it like that. Only a very few facts can be taken literally, rest is talking about things not perceptible. People in the past had to prepare for many years just to be allowed to read the bible. And it took many years more to fully understand what it is about. But people today think that anyone who can read understand the bible.

I have given examples in another thread of how our lives also consists of non-material, intangible aspects. I talked about love, most things that matter are immaterial. The bible talks about soul and spirit. And that is the context in which it has to be read. I will say one more thing, religious fundamentalists and people who criticize them have a lot in common. It is irrelevant that both come to the opposite conclusions, your thought process is exactly the same. Matadora is the perfect example.

Last edited by thelogo; 01-12-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 01:08 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
like the REVelation of Jesus says.. and proof He is 100% about everyone's free will..

as one of the last verse of the bible instructs us ..

Rev 22:11

Let the one who is doing harm continue to do harm; let the one who is vile continue to be vile; let the one who is righteous continue to live righteously; let the one who is holy continue to be holy.”

one translations says it this way !
Rev 22:11

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

which one are you?
because if we let you do YOU>>>>>> as the churches have usually been instructed . then the YOU YOU chose to be will have no excuses ..
not every church wants a church full of filthy this one is tough on families and the young . but some churches deal only with them, and some (sunday or night )classes in churches deal only with them and their addictions... so you can find a church if you want too.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 01-12-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
If science was a religion Matadora will be its most fundamentalist follower.
Wish all you want logo. Science is not a religion thus it has nothing to do with following, nor is it a non-thinking belief system such as religion. Do you even know what science is?

I do know that you despise science as you demonstrated this in another forum on global warming. Religious fundamentalists are anti-science for a reason that is very clear to those of us who are not fundamentalists.

It's clear from your posts that you are a religious fundamentalist. You posses every trait of one.

If you don't like that study how about these?

Analytic Thinking Promotes Religious Disbelief

In the study below scientists assigned individuals to either write about a recent positive event in which they either possessed self-control or one in which they didn’t. Interestingly, individuals who were primed to think about their self-control were significantly less likely to believe in a controlling god afterward.

God and the Government: Testing a Compensatory Control Mechanism for the Support of External Systems

Old 01-12-2019, 02:00 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Not only is the conclusions totally deceptive, they are based on a belief: that religious thoughts are created in the brain.
Were are any thoughts are beliefs generated in humans?

Does this study offer any suggestions? Neural correlates of a mystical experience in Carmelite nuns

Perhaps you can learn something from both studies and see their correlation to the OP's study that you keep misinterpreting.

Neural correlates of mystical experience
Quote:
You hit the brain in a certain region and you become religious, what an absurd fantasy some people accept as indisputable fact.
Here I will post the study again and I suggest if you don't want to read the entire study skip to Section 4. Discussion. I challenge you to find where this study makes the silly claim you just made.

Biological and cognitive underpinnings of religious fundamentalism
Quote:
The amount of faith put into those scientific studies are higher than the faith for religious beliefs, Why? Because these new beliefs are based on materialistic misconceptions rather than tradition.
Poor thing...you are putting your science illiteracy on display again.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-12-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.[/color] meaning they will all have a FREE WILL!
Are you going to have 'free will' in this 'heaven' that you think you are going too?

Quote:
OH But these antichrist men .. ( Christ died for love and for our free wills....)
Got any verifiable evidence for that - or even that your 'Christ' ever existed? No? Thought not.

Quote:
... to take someone free will , that is making them the worst kind of slave.
So again. Will you have free-will in your heaven or will it be taken from you, making you the worst kind of slave?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 PM

23,169 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm so sorry. *hugs*

If I could make it better I would.
Sweet, but I gotta say, a salty dog cur hound like Rafiusness, he don't need no hugs, dude is like flint, he is a freaking elephant ear that no water can touch, the dirty, dirty bastard that he is, it's neither here nor there, Behold, a cur dog is a cur dog, he loves him some bicuits.

He will come grinning from ear to ear and it is such a strange thing because he tries to smile but it's forced, makes me laugh everytime, and anyone who has seen a cur dog grin is blessed like an angelic visitation, the fruit of the earth is his. That person has seen secret mysteries

Those damned cur dogs, so smug, damn my eyes.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Sweet, but I gotta say, a salty dog cur hound like Rafiusness, he don't need no hugs, dude is like flint, he is a freaking elephant ear that no water can touch, the dirty, dirty bastard that he is, it's neither here nor there, Behold, a cur dog is a cur dog, he loves him some bicuits.

He will come grinning from ear to ear and it is such a strange thing because he tries to smile but it's forced, makes me laugh everytime, and anyone who has seen a cur dog grin is blessed like an angelic visitation, the fruit of the earth is his. That person has seen secret mysteries

Those damned cur dogs, so smug, damn my eyes.

He is kinda salty, but I like that about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality