Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:12 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
they are afraid if words..
and product and a mentally of ( our chicken house like) education system..
"those meanies... don't agree with me "
Whatever that all means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 01:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
You mean words like:
  • Science
  • Evolution
  • Cosmic Microwave Background
  • Freedom from Religion
  • Kitzmiller v. Dover
  • The Bill of Rights
  • Protecting the First Amendment
  • The Establishment Clause
  • Truth

Those words are not scary, in fact they are mighty and empowering words.

The only thing that's scary are people who post incessant ramblings about their religious beliefs and who show no sign of civility or rational behavior.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Isn't that the truth! -- Otherwise, why protest so vigorously against something they do not believe is real?? -- I don't see a lot of Santa Clause or Easter Bunny-atheists railing against those make believe characters. Yet, when it comes to Bible Truth, Jesus Christ, God and faith, they are helplessly unable to simply not believe! (That's because everyone has an inborn knowledge of God's eternal power and deity (Rom 1:18-20)).

There is an enormous amount of verifiable, empirical evidence that the Bible is indeed God's inspired Word of truth (literary, archaeological, science, etc). Sadly, many so blind themselves in their rebellious rejection of the things of God, they are only willing to see their own baseless opinions (while pretending they are seeking "truth").
Yes, the part about atheism having fundy mental personality disorders in their ranks is clearly true. they will try the "activism' angle but that's just not the case for some of them. If List the traits of a fundamentalist there is no possible way that personality type is not in atheism.

riigid, unchanging, unyielding, black/white, my way or your wrong. we most certainly have them in our atheist ranks. religion just has more of them and religion offers them a voice where atheism has so many places to place the disorder that they tend to be diluted and less dangerous.

Their is no proof that the bible was anything but human written. You can say that, ultimately, the universe wrote it, but that's as far as we can go.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. There's nothing brave about meekly following a semi-fictional book.

2. Once again, you don't hold yourself to the standards you proclaim. I see no evidence whatsoever that you are taking "every opportunity to learn from others experiences".
Religion damages some people.

Some damaged people find solace in religion.

I tend to leave them be.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Religion often serves as a wonderful conduit for aberrations and illnesses of the brain.

This is not a slam on the religious, or to say that religion causes mental illness, nor is it a slam on the mentally ill. As someone who has a person very close to me with a thankfully controlled mental illness, I will speak out against the stigma that still exists in our society re the mentally ill.

There is not much point in arguing with a person who does not have a firm grip on reality, whether the subject is religion or something else. Even Billy Joel said so.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I tend to leave them be.
It's clearly seen in the posts of those who are damaged to the core by whatever it is that damaged them in life. It's evident that many of those folks find solace in fundamental religious beliefs...sadly it's their band-aid for their unresolved suffering.

Other's find solace in calling people names such as militant atheists, or militant fundy atheists.

Nothing about either behavior is rational or civil. It's sad to see so many damaged souls on this earth who don't know how to help themselves other than clinging or attacking.

Seems like a total waste of a lifetime to me.

The posts that we've seen in the past few days are a stark reality of why it's important to protect ourselves from the oppression of religion in modern society.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is not much point in arguing with a person who does not have a firm grip on reality, whether the subject is religion or something else. Even Billy Joel said so.
Agree!

BTW Joe Walsh also sang about it.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Religion often serves as a wonderful conduit for aberrations and illnesses of the brain.

This is not a slam on the religious, or to say that religion causes mental illness, nor is it a slam on the mentally ill. As someone who has a person very close to me with a thankfully controlled mental illness, I will speak out against the stigma that still exists in our society re the mentally ill.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I tend to leave them be.
I agree, damaged people are damaged people. The only time we need to intervene is when these damage people are start hurting people around them.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree, damaged people are damaged people. The only time we need to intervene is when these damage people are start hurting people around them.
Yep. And as a wise person told me when I became a mod, better that they're wielding keyboards rather than guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality