Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That is assuming that their behavior is "wrong".
Raping, torturing and killing innocent people is wrong no matter how you want to slice and dice it.
Quote:
OTOH...it works for them...for survival and self-satisfaction.
None of this justifies what I listed above.
Quote:
I'd say deeply held religious beliefs are mostly based upon teachings and cultural experience as one grows up. They believe it because that is what they are taught by trusted people and institutions...and how most in their society are.
Interesting how some of us don't fall for this conditioning and realize it at a young age. That was my experience.

I think the issue lies with the human species being easily susceptible to brainwashing/conditioning/domestication. This is not a good trait that unfortunately most humans possess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
This suggests that most people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years have a brain impairment.
It's talking about 'fundamentalists' Oh foolish one!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
In every society, shamans have had no trouble gaining control over people who harbor fear. As long as fear of death cannot be dispelled, the great majority will remain easy pickings -- even those among us who are otherwise fairly logical and analytical. Call it a "brain impairment" if you wish.

Once you start out with a bias, it is human nature to confirm that bias. And our education system is set up to instill those early biases, knowing that confirmation bias will take over and do the rest.

No doubt that brain impairment evolved because it had survival value. Wars may be most often won by the side whose confirmation bias is the strongest.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
This suggests that most people that have ever lived over the last couple thousand years have a brain impairment.
Kind of human made evolution.

Didn’t they kill off the nonbelievers allowing the brain impairment to flourish?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Raping, torturing and killing innocent people is wrong no matter how you want to slice and dice it.
Interesting how some of us don't fall for this conditioning and realize it at a young age. That was my experience.

I think the issue lies with the human species being easily susceptible to brainwashing/conditioning/domestication. This is not a good trait that unfortunately most humans possess.
It's "wrong" to you because you grew up in a judeo-Christian Western society. It doesn't matter whether you are atheist or not. You abide by the laws established and conditioned into you by Christian theology. If you didn't grow up here or in an Eastern country also bound by religious idealogue (with similar or little modification in ethics), you wouldn't have the faintest conception of what a "moral" or "good" is. So how exactly do you measure raping, torturing, and killing innocent people when that's exactly what has gone on in the world b.c.? Homosapiens have never been docile and neither have most creatures.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sound like liberal opinions which is same a fake news
Lol, fake news from someone who believes the gospels.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's "wrong" to you because you grew up in a judeo-Christian Western society.
No, this is as false as it gets. If I grew up in an atheist country I would still view it wrong to rape, torture and kill innocent people and animals.
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether you are atheist or not.
And it should not matter either. Understanding that harming others is wrong should not be dependent upon your religious beliefs.
Quote:
You abide by the laws established and conditioned into you by Christian theology.
No I don't. You are spouting a huge myth here. This country is a secular country created as a result of a modern, and very radical, experiment. This country enshrines freedom of conscience. The Founding Fathers I learned about in history spoke of liberty, not duty; of equality, not hierarchy; of an “asylum for mankind,” not a Biblical commonwealth.
Quote:
If you didn't grow up here or in an Eastern country also bound by religious idealogue (with similar or little modification in ethics), you wouldn't have the faintest conception of what a "moral" or "good" is.
LOL at you trying to ascribe your narrow perspective onto me. You don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about.
Quote:
So how exactly do you measure raping, torturing, and killing innocent people when that's exactly what has gone on in the world b.c.?
The same as how I measure it a.d.

The quote below sums it up nicely.

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

Quote:
have never been docile and neither have most creatures.
Who's talking about docile? But since you mentioned it there are millions of docile creatures on this earth.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It's talking about 'fundamentalists' Oh foolish one!
Most have been Your Snarkness!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Those that rape, torture, and/or kill may not see it as "wrong". They like it...and seek to do it.
You don't see the cat working over the mouse before killing and eating it as "wrong", do you?
By what objective standard do you determine that it is "wrong" for humans to be like most other creatures...creatures that you do not see as "bad" for doing those things?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sound like liberal opinions which is same a fake news
Nothing fake about it, you take a Pentecostal 18 year old girl and get her obsessed with the bible and her own power of the holy spirit, and then let her teach her children from the time they could speak so he knows all about hell, and he knows he is going to hell even when he is 4 years old so he stays freaking terrified for a couple years so bad that he swallows a whole jar of pills thinking God would forgive him at 6 if he kills himself.

Then you send your kid to the Assembly Of God church and camps, and they show the kid terrifying horror movies telling the kids that very soon people would come to torture them to death so they will deny Jesus. You show these kids Asians taking young boys and driving bamboos into their ears and their eyes in a horrific torture chamber all the while telling the children to hang in there when they will be tortured because if they break and deny Jesus, well hell, they gonna burn and be tortured for ETERNITY by God, and this at 6 years, I mean, it is in times like these that a man wants to say a couple curse words like, '' What the hell are you talking about? LOL.

You think this wouldn't change the brain of a child to where he only thinks from one side?

I am just lucky to be alive, I never tried suicide again, but my whole childhood has been spent in terrifying horror and desires of death.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 01-10-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality