Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

"A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group. ...

...These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness."

(Bolding mine.)

This explains quite a bit. I may have to temper my scorn with a little more pity. Many fundies can't help it.

Link to full article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
That explains my brain damage to this very day.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Sound like liberal opinions which is same a fake news

Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
"A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group. ...

...These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness."

(Bolding mine.)

This explains quite a bit. I may have to temper my scorn with a little more pity. Many fundies can't help it.

Link to full article.
lamo, we been saying it for years. addicts, abused, mentals, and the rest of us.

we are out numbered.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sound like liberal opinions which is same a fake news
Congratulations! That won you an ignore.

There is no sense of reading or responding to someone with that attitude...because there is no reasoning involved.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sounds like liberal opinions which is the same as fake news.

Did you actually read the study?
BTW-I turned your whatever it was into a sentence. You're welcome!

Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Even stronger link, I imagine, between brain damage and militant atheism.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times
CT scans were analyzed comparing 119 vets with brain trauma to 30 healthy vets with no damage, and a survey that assessed religious fundamentalism was administered.
People call this garbage "science". Grabbing the ct scans of 149 Vietnam War veterans, 119 of which have brain damage lead these "scientists" to conclude that:
Religious fundamentalism is partly the result of a functional impairment in the prefrontal cortex,
That is just from reading the article, who knows how many more deceptions can be found from reading the "study."

Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Even stronger link, I imagine, between brain damage and militant atheism.
I tend to agree that brain damage people will behave similarly, well, similar damaged that is. the problem is religion gives a broken brain something to latch onto. where as atheism doesn't offer that. Yeah, we will see similar behaviors but with an atheist there are other places for the damaged brain to look and latch onto.

for example, arguing with a angry Narcissist. Well religion gives them something to lock onto. "christianity" around me. The angry narcissist christian can find more believers supporting their cause. The angry Narcissist atheist may do some arguing against religion or they may not, they pick some other fight at various other times. Thus spreading out their sickness so to speak.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
CT scans were analyzed comparing 119 vets with brain trauma to 30 healthy vets with no damage, and a survey that assessed religious fundamentalism was administered.
People call this garbage "science". Grabbing the ct scans of 149 Vietnam War veterans, 119 of which have brain damage lead these "scientists" to conclude that:
Religious fundamentalism is partly the result of a functional impairment in the prefrontal cortex,
That is just from reading the article, who knows how many more deceptions can be found from reading the "study."
I think people who call science garbage are fundies. It's one of their hallmarks.

Sure it's not just fake news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality