Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
If something is not clear a person prays for clarity.
And talks it over with God. And asks for guidance to do the right thing, to make the best choice.
Ok, Tza, so in some cases could God's answer be "either way is fine" even tho the options seem opposite? E.g., in the context of an individual's decision: "You have my blessing whether you get the abortion or not." Or in the social context: one woman could pray and God's answer to her would be "Abortion is the best option for you in this situation", whereas another woman in a similar situation prays and God's answer is "Despite the great challenges ahead, it is important that you give birth."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 PM

22,195 posts, read 19,233,374 times
A person has the right to accept medical advice or refuse it. Even if it means losing their own life.

I work in healthcare. People decline medical treatment if they so choose. They decline surgery. They decline chemo. They have that choice.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-04-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 AM

"Be true to your authentic self" sounds a lot like "do whatever you feel like" "act on every base urge you have" "anything goes"

That sounds like an absence of morality. And a preference for self indulgence. Are you able to articulate why self indulgence is NOT a good thing? And why a set of moral guidelines in place of self indulgence is beneficial?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-05-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 AM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
"Be true to your authentic self" sounds a lot like "do whatever you feel like" "act on every base urge you have" "anything goes"

That sounds like an absence of morality. And a preference for self indulgence. Are you able to articulate why self indulgence is NOT a good thing? And why a set of moral guidelines in place of self indulgence is beneficial?

I agree ‘be true to your authentic self’ is nebulous and can be self indulgent. But we all have our own code of moral guidelines; and despite our differences, most are universally accepted (without religion).

Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM

If someone rejects God then they probably are not going to understand the concept of seeking to clarify "God's will" in a given situation.

If someone rejects God then they ignore altogether God's will. They choose self over God.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 AM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
If someone rejects God then they probably are not going to understand the concept of seeking to clarify "God's will" in a given situation.

If someone rejects God then they ignore altogether God's will. They choose self over God.
One doesn’t need to accept God to be a compassionate person or do ‘the right thing’.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
One doesn’t need to accept God to be a compassionate person or do ‘the right thing’.
my view is that "doing the right thing" exists.
or making the "best choice" possible from among the alternatives.

i disagree with the premise that suggests or promotes that "doing the right thing" or "making the best choice" does NOT exist.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
my view is that "doing the right thing" exists.
or making the "best choice" possible from among the alternatives.

i disagree with the premise that suggests or promotes that "doing the right thing" or "making the best choice" does NOT exist.
Personally, I would not suggest that moral "best choices" don't exist. I believe that with or without a Supreme Intellect to determine moral/immoral, there can be something like a "science" of morality based on objective features of the world. But my question is whether every moral question has a "best choice" answer or, instead, are there some grey areas where, by the standards of science and/or a Supreme Intellect, there simply is no best answer for those particular types of situations.

Basically, in theistic terms: Did God design the world with some indeterminate/ambiguous moral situations? Or does every moral choice imply a particular correct choice? And is there anything in holy scriptures that suggests an answer to this question?

I'm also curious about the spiritual and social aspects of believing that moral ambiguity does or does not exist. Are we, as individuals, or as social creatures, "better off" if we believe or don't believe that some moral situations can be morally ambiguous?

Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Personally, I would not suggest that moral "best choices" don't exist. I believe that with or without a Supreme Intellect to determine moral/immoral, there can be something like a "science" of morality based on objective features of the world. But my question is whether every moral question has a "best choice" answer or, instead, are there some grey areas where, by the standards of science and/or a Supreme Intellect, there simply is no best answer for those particular types of situations.

Basically, in theistic terms: Did God design the world with some indeterminate/ambiguous moral situations? Or does every moral choice imply a particular correct choice? And is there anything in holy scriptures that suggests an answer to this question?

I'm also curious about the spiritual and social aspects of believing that moral ambiguity does or does not exist. Are we, as individuals, or as social creatures, "better off" if we believe or don't believe that some moral situations can be morally ambiguous?
this post states that "moral best choices" only exist some of the time and NOT all of the time.

God is in every situation. Not just some situations.
Nothing is too large or too small for God to be present in and actively supporting us and caring for us.
We have free will. God wants us to use our free will to do the right thing to make the best choices.

Not just some choices but all choices, not just some situations, but all situations.
We are not meant to do it on our own, we are meant to turn to God for help in all things all the time large and small.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-05-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
this post states that "moral best choices" only exist some of the time and NOT all of the time.

God is in every situation. Not just some situations.
Nothing is too large or too small for God to be present in and actively supporting us and caring for us.
We have free will. God wants us to use our free will to do the right thing to make the best choices.

Not just some choices but all choices, not just some situations, but all situations.
We are not meant to do it on our own, we are meant to turn to God for help in all things all the time large and small.
So I should ask for God's guidance in deciding whether I'd rather have a calendar with pictures of cute puppies verses one with nice mountain scenery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality