Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

Wow. I never heard of personal targeted ads in this way. Pretty fascinating.

His primary motivation was for friends and family to understand why he left. He would post a provocative topic, like how Joseph Smith would send men on missionaries and then marry their wives, and then lead them to an LDS approved site for a defense of polyandry and the church in general.

Or talking about JS taking a 14 year old as a bride, then onto a page defending that.

Actually quite genius. No good Mormon is going to click on an anti-Mormon source. But doing this got several to read about things from an approved LDS site, which he calls a whitewashed version, but better than nothing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside...arts-and-minds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
That screeching sound you hear is an axe grinding.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Oh boy, that is totally incorrect. It could be about any religion and I would find it noteworthy to post here.

Targeted ads to family and friends. Then he was given lots of names and email addresses from other ex-members to target them.

Whether it is right or wrong, good or bad, IDK. It is genius and fascinating how all that works. How we are manipulated by social media.

Like the article says, we are used to ads targeting us like we glance at an item to purchase and suddenly have ads about it. Heck I have mentioned an item in a supposedly private email and gotten ads.

This is talking about individuals doing targeted ads at others religious beliefs. So if it were still going on, I could provide the names and email addresses of Mormons I know and they would send them these ads to learn the truth.

I would never do that. But I can understand why he would want to.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Oh boy, that is totally incorrect. It could be about any religion and I would find it noteworthy to post here.

Targeted ads to family and friends. Then he was given lots of names and email addresses from other ex-members to target them.

Whether it is right or wrong, good or bad, IDK. It is genius and fascinating how all that works. How we are manipulated by social media.

Like the article says, we are used to ads targeting us like we glance at an item to purchase and suddenly have ads about it. Heck I have mentioned an item in a supposedly private email and gotten ads.

This is talking about individuals doing targeted ads at others religious beliefs. So if it were still going on, I could provide the names and email addresses of Mormons I know and they would send them these ads to learn the truth.

I would never do that. But I can understand why he would want to.
But you repeatedly attack Mormonism.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
. No good Mormon is going to click on an anti-Mormon source. ]
I click on anti-Mormon sources all the time.The old 'Salamander Society' page was hilarious.Of course I never claim to be a particularly 'good' Mormon.

Prior to joining the church I read a lot of stuff off anti-LDS sites.I still do to some extent.Some of it is pure BS,some of it is mere conjecture and opinion often postulated as verified history,a some of it IS verified history.Some of the actual history is in fact disturbing,especially to the mindset of those born in the late 20th or early 21 century.

There are of course disturbing aspects to pretty much every religious organization that exists or has ever existed.Religions are all run by humans and humans are fallible and do screwed up things,sometimes in the name of religion.Jesus is thought to be perfect,church leaders and members are not and if one understands and accepts this fact there is no need to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'.

I do find it odd that the two groups most obsessed and opposed to the LDS church aren't atheists,which tend to scoff at all churches equally,but fundamentalist Christians and ex-Mormons.I was raised a Methodist and attended a fundie Baptist school for years when I was young.Neither of those routes interest me but I can't imagine wasting any time and energy trying to dissuade others from hanging out there if they so choose.I don't desire to build up my church by tearing down others church of choice.

If I ever leave the LDS church I guarantee I won't need an internet ex-Mormon support group or a therapist to survive.I won't spend endless hours of my life trying to pry others away from the church either.I'll just move on with my life.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I click on anti-Mormon sources all the time.The old 'Salamander Society' page was hilarious.Of course I never claim to be a particularly 'good' Mormon.

Prior to joining the church I read a lot of stuff off anti-LDS sites.I still do to some extent.Some of it is pure BS,some of it is mere conjecture and opinion often postulated as verified history,a some of it IS verified history.Some of the actual history is in fact disturbing,especially to the mindset of those born in the late 20th or early 21 century.

There are of course disturbing aspects to pretty much every religious organization that exists or has ever existed.Religions are all run by humans and humans are fallible and do screwed up things,sometimes in the name of religion.Jesus is thought to be perfect,church leaders and members are not and if one understands and accepts this fact there is no need to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'.

I do find it odd that the two groups most obsessed and opposed to the LDS church aren't atheists,which tend to scoff at all churches equally,but fundamentalist Christians and ex-Mormons.I was raised a Methodist and attended a fundie Baptist school for years when I was young.Neither of those routes interest me but I can't imagine wasting any time and energy trying to dissuade others from hanging out there if they so choose.I don't desire to build up my church by tearing down others church of choice.

If I ever leave the LDS church I guarantee I won't need an internet ex-Mormon support group or a therapist to survive.I won't spend endless hours of my life trying to pry others away from the church either.I'll just move on with my life.
Well, of you change your mind reddit has a good one. I'm exJW not exMo by the way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/

Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I don't think he is trying to pry people away, he said he wanted them to understand why he left. Understanding doesn't have to mean agreement.

He doesn't link them to anti-Mormon sites. If they clicked on the ad, they were sent to LDS approved sources for some of the controversial aspects explained by the Church.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:32 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Well, of you change your mind reddit has a good one. I'm exJW not exMo by the way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/
Lol,i've looked at it occassionaly although I fail to see the need for such sites but to each his own.

It doesn't bother me when people leave the church,if you don't find it a net positive in your life or if you no longer buy into it you probably should.My sons haven't attended in several years,I don't stress about it.If they start again someday that's cool....if not i'm cool with that too.

Some people seem to build their whole life around the church......and if they leave they build their whole life around being against the church,which is a waste of time and energy.Just go join the wiccans or odinists….the parties are probably a lot more fun!

Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Lol,i've looked at it occassionaly although I fail to see the need for such sites but to each his own.
Some people apparently need to vent. It's also reassuring to them to hear from a bunch of total strangers how they should be so proud of themselves. My sister and both of my adult kids have left the Church. They're happy and we all have a good relationship with one another. None of them wasted a moment of their lives commiserating with a bunch of like-minded cry-babies. Life's too short to spend it wallowing in self-pity over the fact that you no longer believe something you once did, and trying to blame it on somebody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality