Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does that include the non-white religious folks that accuse others of racism because they disagree politically? The ones that cry "racism" every time they see a white person and claim that the only way to express their faith is a government program?
Do not listen to the lie.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Racism is caused by ruling forces essentially pitting the working classes against each other. Divide and conquer, as a way of maintaining their privileged positions.
Do not listen to the lie.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I left "religion" when I just could not take all the hatred and anger spewed from the pulpit and from the mouths of my "brotherss and sisters"in Christ.

And that was just at the Wednesday night prayer meetings.against other races, other colors, other partner preferences and other denominations of Christianity. I still see it all around me here where I live, but I actually feel sorry for those people now. Many preachers, Sunday school teachers just seem to be able to biblical feed the deep seated hatred in their congregations or organizations.

My "church" is in the stillness and quiet time alone spirit to spirit with the creator. It is very peaceful there.
May you continue to find peace within the comfort of yourself.
I like visiting. Sunday mass is always a blast.
Peace .................

Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Perhaps rephrase that in a way that cannot be mistaken as being racist?
Seriously.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
I left "religion" when I just could not take all the hatred and anger spewed from the pulpit and from the mouths of my "brothers and sisters" in Christ.

And that was just at the Wednesday night prayer meetings.against other races, other colors, other partner preferences and other denominations of Christianity. I still see it all around me here where I live, but I actually feel sorry for those people now. Many preachers, Sunday school teachers just seem to be able to biblical feed the deep-seated hatred in their congregations or organizations.

My "church" is in the stillness and quiet time alone spirit to spirit with the creator. It is very peaceful there.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Study finds religious people live longer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8396866.html

So what?
Would studies find that racist people live longer?

After all, living longer is the goal if you want to keep heaven waiting.

Somehow, I don't think the OP was suggesting that religious or racist people do not live longer than non-religious or non-racist people.

I also don't think that presenting such a "counter-fact" would really contradict the original point all that much.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
I left "religion" when I just could not take all the hatred and anger spewed from the pulpit and from the mouths of my "brotherss and sisters"in Christ.

And that was just at the Wednesday night prayer meetings.against other races, other colors, other partner preferences and other denominations of Christianity. I still see it all around me here where I live, but I actually feel sorry for those people now. Many preachers, Sunday school teachers just seem to be able to biblical feed the deep seated hatred in their congregations or organizations.

I hear you, I have witnessed my fair share of bigotry among people that call themselves Christians. Even so racism is commonly swept under the rug too among many Christian circles. They have the nostalgia of a time when they perceived that society was many years ago was Christian, and can see there is nothing wrong with living in racially segregated neighbourhoods, blacks that know their place, disown their daughter or son if they marry someone outside their race. Seeing people like Martin Luther King Jr as a communist. Are fearful and have a hate of people of different skin colour or religion or sexual preference.

However, there are many, many Christians that have fought against bigotry and will continue to so.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Would studies find that racist people live longer?

After all, living longer is the goal if you want to keep heaven waiting.

Somehow, I don't think the OP was suggesting that religious or racist people do not live longer than non-religious or non-racist people.

I also don't think that presenting such a "counter-fact" would really contradict the original point all that much.
The point is, you can find almost any kind of study on Google that suits your narrative.
There will be quite a few “studies” out there that put Atheists into a bad light vs Diests who get to put into bad light. And vice a versa.

I guess what triggers my interest more is religious base philosophical discussions and how the logic and intelligence play their roles to make our minds process the information differently, and arrive at different assertions - while no one knows the truth.

A Study finds this, and a study find that? oh well!

A new study finds that you can make people believe anything you want, as long as you start it with the words, “A new study finds”.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, of course.
there are Black Baptist Churches and White ones.
synagogues, temples, whatever, are super-segregated.
the most segregated part of my life is when i attend services.
There's an old saying that the most segregated hour in America is Sundays between eleven and noon.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Perhaps rephrase that in a way that cannot be mistaken as being racist?
I don't think he should restate it at all. He's stated his position and made his feelings clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.