Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times

Advertisements

Ten pages of hilarity, and some very disturbing notions proffered up by the delusional believers. I left the world of religion early in my life, around age fourteen if I remember correctly, and now, almost sixty years later, I realize not much has changed. It's still the parade ground of crazy mystics and the truly terrified. I'm relieved that I was able to extricate myself from that nonsense, and yes, I'm still treating others well and have no evil in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
When is the last time people agreed on anything?
We gat get many people to agree about you and jeffbase and choir boy and the rest of your klan.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
We gat get many people to agree about you and jeffbase and choir boy and the rest of your klan.
But not all, hence my point. *gat?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Ten pages of hilarity, and some very disturbing notions proffered up by the delusional believers. I left the world of religion early in my life, around age fourteen if I remember correctly, and now, almost sixty years later, I realize not much has changed. It's still the parade ground of crazy mystics and the truly terrified. I'm relieved that I was able to extricate myself from that nonsense, and yes, I'm still treating others well and have no evil in my heart.
On behalf of all of us crazy mystics, best wishes.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:

I was atheist at age 9, or at least very young. But i just didn't believe the stuff. I had normal crazy theist parents so i never blamed religion. I don't see people that leave religion at that age still have venom. did something happen?

But if I did blame religion for things, i would have to blame it for making my parents good parents.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I was atheist at age 9, or at least very young. But i just didn't believe the stuff. I had normal crazy theist parents so i never blamed religion. I don't see people that leave religion at that age still have venom. did something happen?

But if I did blame religion for things, i would have to blame it for making my parents good parents.
Odd, I had parents that never spoke of religious things, not a Bible in the house...and my parents
were NOT good parents in, Oh, so many ways.
And at age 8 had my first STE...Spiritually Transformative or Transcendental Exp..and Oh my...
all alone on a summer country day. Rocked MY world.

We are direct opposites! Lol.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Odd, I had parents that never spoke of religious things, not a Bible in the house...and my parents
And at age 8 had my first STE...Spiritually Transformative or Transcendental Exp..and Oh my...

Read so many things from so many people that did not have good childhoods that it makes me wonder about the correlation/ causation of subsequent beliefs

Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

I don't think the term "blame" would suffice in my case. My mother was brought into her frame of religion early in her life, Baptist or Methodist I believe, in my case it was that I was young and couldn't relate to the seemingly dark aspects of a revengeful god, hyper judgmental clerics, phony moralists, not to mention the fact that we (kids) just wanted to play outside and have a fun time.

As an adult, I just never went back. I've been married to religious women, and don't have any problem with that. I don't want to put down anyone's beliefs, as in telling them to stop going to church, or stop believing. But---I expect the same courtesy in return, and usually don't get it We all need something to lean on, so, there's no blame in my view. I'm happy, and so is my Christian wife so it's all good.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

that's actually my point Miss H.

so my good parents were from religion and your bad parents were from no religion?

the problem with evil means there is the problem with goodness.

But, let me be clear, you know my real belief ... good parents and bad parents are independent of belief.

But, I am forced, by my nature, to explore every claim made by people. How I wish I could just follow blind faith in "deny everything due to a fear of religion." they have it so much easier not having to think.

claims that hold true under more conditions are more valid than those that don't.

"deny everything" is just so invalid that only fundy-think type atheist can buy into it.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think the term "blame" would suffice in my case. My mother was brought into her frame of religion early in her life, Baptist or Methodist I believe, in my case it was that I was young and couldn't relate to the seemingly dark aspects of a revengeful god, hyper judgmental clerics, phony moralists, not to mention the fact that we (kids) just wanted to play outside and have a fun time.

As an adult, I just never went back. I've been married to religious women, and don't have any problem with that. I don't want to put down anyone's beliefs, as in telling them to stop going to church, or stop believing. But---I expect the same courtesy in return, and usually don't get it We all need something to lean on, so, there's no blame in my view. I'm happy, and so is my Christian wife so it's all good.
yeah, I see that. I just don't see the things you described being a problem with religion as much as its a problem with people. For every person you describe as "bad" I see at least one that is good.

You seem to understand that if a person is rational and understanding you can "live" with them. If they are not, you may have problem with them. Like you pointed out, in the end, it has nothing to do with their beliefs.

The biblegod is better than the inkblot test in showing us a given brain state. You can ask my 11year old to describe me when I don't give her what she wants. is that truely me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality