Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This is an interesting question, and one I don't have a proper answer for.
The comment "keep sin alive" in Heaven is not mine, but one used in Christian arguments, and presumably one that is in scripture somewhere.
I recall Bryan Melvin also stated this in his Hell testimony as well.
You see my point? If, according to Christianity, Yahweh gave us 'free-will' because he didn't want us to be robots and, having had free-will, we chose to do evil thing with it- if they have free-will in your heaven, what is to stop them choosing to do evil things with it as is done here - or - is Yahweh going to take away your free-will and thus have the robot that Christianity has always claimed that he doesn't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmp3UNjeu0k[/quote]Oh dear! Not another hell visitor!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You see my point? If, according to Christianity, Yahweh gave us 'free-will' because he didn't want us to be robots and, having had free-will, we chose to do evil thing with it- if they have free-will in your heaven, what is to stop them choosing to do evil things with it as is done here - or - is Yahweh going to take away your free-will and thus have the robot that Christianity has always claimed that he doesn't want?
The irony is that pagan god yahweh gives us a free will because he doesn't want robots worshiping him out of duty and then he sends us to hell for exercising our free will to not worship him. Crazy! The entire Christian belief system is crazy to the core.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:38 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The irony is that pagan god yahweh gives us a free will because he doesn't want robots worshiping him out of duty and then he sends us to hell for exercising our free will to not worship him. Crazy! The entire Christian belief system is crazy to the core.
Ya ' know, I ask myself sometimes, how can I think that "I'm alright, it's the world that's all wrong" when it comes to this god belief stuff, most especially Christianity since I'm in the USA and definitely in the (supposed...which is a different subject) minority.
But, day-em! It does seem to be crazy to the core unless you have such fear or ego or misunderstanding about death.
I realize how difficult it is to try to imagine yourself as just 'not here'.
I do, too. I imagine most nonbelievers have those moments when they "see' themselves thinking or doing or judging themselves in this afterlife...…...until they remember...…"oh, yeah, there ain't one"

I even find myself "apologizing" to my mom as if she can hear me. But I realize I am only trying to assuage my own guilt in how I feel I didn't treat her as good as I should have.
It's difficult but human, which is what we are and that's all we have to work with.

But, if there is some kind of a god (the allowing for the intellectual small % pathway for one or some) the Biblical one doesn't have much going for it

Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Your deliberate obfuscations to further your agenda are based on the fallacious "Obey God" meme that is necessary in the early stages of our spiritual development and evolution. How we think, feel and behave ultimately has nothing to do with obedience to God but is determined by what we become. Any and all our desires will be determined by what we have become, NOT what we are willing or unwilling to obey.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

So you rather have a system where every human is fully allowed to do anything they want without consequence? Well then you would be here blasting God for being so immoral by not putting an end to evil and wicked people who are hurting others.

Even if God took all the unsaved and let them live for eternity on their own planet, it would still be hell with man even murdering off each other or have the ability to inflict pain over and over again if everyone can't die. Would you really want to live forever with people like Hitler or Ted Bundy?

Old 02-19-2019, 02:14 PM

8,664 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your deliberate obfuscations to further your agenda are based on the fallacious "Obey God" meme that is necessary in the early stages of our spiritual development and evolution. How we think, feel and behave ultimately has nothing to do with obedience to God but is determined by what we become. Any and all our desires will be determined by what we have become, NOT what we are willing or unwilling to obey.
I don’t believe in ‘God’ - but I do respect (and rather enjoy reading) your perspective.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you rather have a system where every human is fully allowed to do anything they want without consequence? Well then you would be here blasting God for being so immoral by not putting an end to evil and wicked people who are hurting others.

Even if God took all the unsaved and let them live for eternity on their own planet, it would still be hell with man even murdering off each other or have the ability to inflict pain over and over again if everyone can't die. Would you really want to live forever with people like Hitler or Ted Bundy?
What about a system where laws and morality are set to maximize well being for both individuals and society while providing protection where needed? How about a society where people are held responsible for their words and actions whether good or bad? Where they cannot blame Satan instead of solving problems with actual solutions that address those problems.

It's rather sad that you think humans would spend all their time and energy raping, murdering and stealing if your God does not exist. I have never believed in a God and never once was tempted to rape some even once in my life or thought of murdering anyone. My crime spree in my youth was 2 speeding tickets and a parking ticket. I cannot even contemplate your thinking that it is only your faith in a God that might keep you from rape and murder. I would genuinely be surprised if you do contemplate raping and murdering.

You have no proof that Hitler was not a Christian. Nor do you have any evidence that we should be concerned about an after life. If there is an afterlife

Old 02-19-2019, 03:54 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Leaving out your obvious Christian/ Jesus bias,( Harder and harder to do lately) that sounds great except for your original (supposedly nonChristian ) synopsis that our "good thoughts, emanations, electrical impulses or whatever" coalesce with your mythical 'thing that is just nature"'.
So, do you have a rule book we haven't gotten other than, love each other? (I kinda think we all know that would be nice)
It might be easier to dialogue with you if it was clear whether or not you are arguing from a Christian/Jesus believer bias stance or your supposedly 'scientific' one

Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t believe in ‘God’ - but I do respect (and rather enjoy reading) your perspective.
Thanks.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Sure! I'd prefer that over burning hell in excruciating torment for eternity. You're so into this "let 'em burn" thing you probably wouldn't even begin to comprehend the pain. But as usual, jeff, you inject pointless sensationalism into the conversation. Don't you believe humans can do even a single decent thing without using a book as flawed as the Bible for their moral compass? Let's follow laws like this:

Quote:
A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones. Leviticus 20:27
There go about 10 million Harry Potter fans.

Or this

Quote:
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Leviticus 20:13
There go about 100 million gays.

And this corker:

Quote:
If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. Deuteronomy 21:18-21
There go about 2 billion kids!

Yep, when it comes to ethical guides, nothing beats the Bible!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality