Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 10:57 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Straight out of the Bible, I knew it! But you have no INDEPENDENT sources apart from the Bible, right?
Yes, I noticed the new definition of 'independent', but it is Karnival time here so I did not bother to respond (with a ). But I have been sent into the office as I am not allowed to see my clothes for tomorrow that my daughters have made.

So for the new definition of 'independent'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 12:12 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Straight out of the Bible, I knew it! But you have no INDEPENDENT sources apart from the Bible, right?
The fact that some religious leaders incorporated SOME of the existing writings into their Bible does NOT change the fact that they were independent writings of that era. Failure to accept that is close-minded bigotry based on association.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:23 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Well, many were independent sources until it was decided which ones should be used to support the agenda of Christianity while the rest were cast aside.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what are you arguing VIC? any knuckle head can see that it doesn't matter. if he existed or not is only relevant to a certain type of person.

It is totally reasonable to say he existed. it is totally reasonable to say there isn't much evidence that he did. neither has any real legs to base a weeks pay check on.

whats your main point?
A good, succinct post.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

whats your main point?
Apparently I’m not the only one who fails to understand his nebulous posts.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:49 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The fact that some religious leaders incorporated SOME of the existing writings into their Bible does NOT change the fact that they were independent writings of that era. Failure to accept that is close-minded bigotry based on association.
The intent of my question was clear, Mystic. I'm looking for independent sources (and "independent" by its very usage means "apart from the New Testament" but Christians always try to hedge this definition as Vic just did and as you are trying to do now. "Independent" means "apart from the scriptures". So Vic said:

Quote:
Early, independent sources attesting to many of the same things about this man. Compared to most figures of his time, he's apparently very well documented.
And I'll ask again, "What "independent" sources apart from the scriptures are you referring to, Vic?" And if you only have scriptures, which secular Biblical scholars don't recognize as authority, then you're free to admit, "Ummm...I don't have any, Thrill." Go ahead, I won't bite. But I might send you to bed without a cookie for trying to put one over on us.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:11 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte

The intent of my question was clear, Mystic. I'm looking for independent sources (and "independent" by its very usage means "apart from the New Testament" but Christians always try to hedge this definition as Vic just did and as you are trying to do now. "Independent" means "apart from the scriptures". So Vic said:

And I'll ask again, "What "independent" sources apart from the scriptures are you referring to, Vic?" And if you only have scriptures, which secular Biblical scholars don't recognize as authority, then you're free to admit, "Ummm...I don't have any, Thrill." Go ahead, I won't bite. But I might send you to bed without a cookie for trying to put one over on us.
Your demand is unreasonable bigotry but you refuse to see it. They are independent writings culled from a whole lot more independent writings. Their selection and inclusion in the Bible does not change their status except to those who are bigoted against the Bible.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Your demand is unreasonable bigotry but you refuse to see it. They are independent writings culled from a whole lot more independent writings. Their selection and inclusion in the Bible does not change their status except to those who are bigoted against the Bible.
true, and its closer to a collection of books than a book. Its like stating encyclopedias can't be used to support themselves. or the internet can't be used to support anything from the internet.

so whats the middle ground?

thats rhetorical for you and more for the lurkers.

but thrill has a point. They bible isn't literally fact. But a king doing bad things and his people paying the price? yeah, thats real enough.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:

Well okay, Mystic. You insist on answering for Vic, who I assume is too red-faced to make an appearance so I'll ask you: WHAT SPECIFICALLY are these "independent writings culled from a whole lot more independent writings"? That's just vague gobbledygook and you know it. Give me some names of authors or historians and specific names of these "independent writings" apart from the New Testament. That about as succinct as I can make it. Again, if you have no SPECIFIC names of authors or historic volumes apart from the Bible that solidly support Jesus' historicity just say so and we'll be done with it.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
library at Alexandra would have been cool resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality