Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiloui View Post
As a Christian I am interested in getting through this life and my Savior is helping me do that. The Old Testament is a little hard to take, but I would never think to compare God to an abusive husband.
May I suggest you read “Mere Christianity” by C.S.Lewis? He really does a good job of explaining the OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
As a Christian I am interested in getting through this life and my Savior is helping me do that. The Old Testament is a little hard to take, but I would never think to compare God to an abusive husband.
Good start for entrance to fundieville.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You know the truth is, man is responsible for all the evil in this world, god or no god.
If humans are responsible for all the evil in this world then it must logically follow that humans are responsible for all the good in this world. I look forward to never again reading any of your posts telling us about all the wonderful things that your god does in this world. We agree. It is humans not gods that do good and bad.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Why not? Yahweh fits the profile of an abusive husband to a tee.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
It always amazes me about you weak minded xians that thank your savior for KEEPING YOU OUT OF PARADISE.

You should at least be driving your car and not wear a seatbelt.

That would be one of your true tests for your loving savior and it’s plan for you.

Derp!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Although I don't think the hell doctrine gels with the idea of an all-loving and omniscient god (I'd encourage the Christians to subscribe to Universalism instead), the caricature of it here is laughable. Christians do not believe that god chooses to send people to hell because they reject him/Christianity. Rather, god literally cannot look upon sin and so the story goes that people freely choose the path leading there contrary to what he wants (but will not force).

As for the husband comparison, I'd say a better (but still not perfect) comparison would be that of a father whose child is, at least on the hell doctrine, running straight toward a highway where they'll surely get killed if not controlled. If we were to be charitable, we could say many of these behaviors just as easily smack of a parent desperate to steer their kid straight. Right down to being jealous of and trying to monopolize their time.

But again, it's never going to be a perfect comparison because we're talking about an all-knowing deity, who doesn't just claim to know what's best for you but actually does.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Although I don't think the hell doctrine gels with the idea of an all-loving and omniscient god (I'd encourage the Christians to subscribe to Universalism instead), the caricature of it here is laughable. Christians do not believe that god chooses to send people to hell because they reject him/Christianity. Rather, god literally cannot look upon sin and so the story goes that people freely choose the path leading there contrary to what he wants (but will not force).
Your description of the story isn’t any better, and doesn’t solve any philosophical problems. I also don’t believe that you are describing standard Christian doctrine (as much as there is a standard) correctly.

Christians acknowledge that everybody is sinful. God is also omniscient. Therefore god looks upon sin with everybody he admits into heaven, because all have sinned. He also looks upon sin at all times, because he looks upon his alleged creation where people are sinning. To say he cannot look upon sin ignores those realities if his nature, because he must look upon it.

Many Christians do believe that the single most important event in a persons life is being born again, which is a positive affirmation of Christianity. Those who affirm Christianity this way go to heaven, those who do not go to hell. That is essentially the same as saying that people go to hell for rejecting/not accepting Christianity.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your description of the story isn’t any better, and doesn’t solve any philosophical problems. I also don’t believe that you are describing standard Christian doctrine (as much as there is a standard) correctly.
Well I am. The idea that god sends people to hell is an anti-theistic caricature. Nothing more.

Quote:
Christians acknowledge that everybody is sinful. God is also omniscient. Therefore god looks upon sin with everybody he admits into heaven, because all have sinned.
Having sinned and being in sin are two different things.

Quote:
He also looks upon sin at all times, because he looks upon his alleged creation where people are sinning. To say he cannot look upon sin ignores those realities if his nature, because he must look upon it.
Perhaps. I'm not saying the hell doctrine is rescued by any of this (I don't think it can be rescued, as I said), just correcting the misinformation given earlier.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You should at least be driving your car and not wear a seatbelt. That would be one of your true tests for your loving savior and it’s plan for you. Derp!
Not much chance of them risking driving without a seat belt or jumping off a cliff. I've yet to find one that will even do THIS test. They don't even have to go outside with this one.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4vbS6c4p4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality