Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Although I don't think the hell doctrine gels with the idea of an all-loving and omniscient god (I'd encourage the Christians to subscribe to Universalism instead), the caricature of it here is laughable. Christians do not believe that god chooses to send people to hell because they reject him/Christianity. Rather, god literally cannot look upon sin and so the story goes that people freely choose the path leading there contrary to what he wants (but will not force).
I've answered this laughable assertion before, but I will answer it again: this stupid assertion that people send themselves to hell was invented simply as a means of getting god off the hook for something he is entirely responsible for, that of assuring we get into heaven. Churchmen couldn't explain why a perfect god is so incompetent and impotent that he fails to save 90% of people so the churchmen said, "Let's make god so holy that he cannot look at sin...." But the rest of it it is still so laughably stupid that I cannot explain away the stupidity. "God is holy therefore people send themselves to hell." It's like saying "My son is so brilliant he fails every exam he takes." I mean it's on that level of insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing. That could be a metaphor for so many things......

Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing. That could be a metaphor for so many things......
First time I've laughed out loud in two days!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Laughed out loud.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Anybody notice how the Biblical god shares so many attributes with an abusive husband it's practically impossible to tell the difference? One of the many hallmarks of an abusive husband is wrath followed almost immediately by pity and remorse for what he's done. "Return to me, for I have redeemed thee".

In one moment an abusive husband tells his wife how much he loves her--how she means the world to him--and then when she innocently says something or does something that would be completely innocuous to a normal person, in the abusive husband it triggers an abnormal reaction that any normal, well-adjusted person would find completely inexplicable. The husband out of nowhere punches, kicks, slaps and throttles his spouse and then, as she lay bleeding, half-conscious on the floor in a heap, says sorrowfully to her, "Darling, I hate doing that to you, I really do. Why do you force me to beat you that way?"

How is the Biblical god any different? In one moment he tells us how much he loves us, how we mean the world to him and then for a senseless thought crime like not trusting in Jesus for forgiveness of our sins he throws us into hell with, "Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting flames prepared for the devil and his minions for I told you to believe in my son so that you would not perish in eternal fire and ye would not do it. But don't feel bad, I do this with tears in my eyes. Remember, I'll always love you!"

So one moment it's "I love you" and the next moment it's "Depart from me, ye cursed!" Does that sound like a schizophrenic psychopath or doesn't it?

The normal person would find torturing their spouse for years on end while telling them how much they love them to be about the most heinous thing a person could do but for the Christian god to torture his spouse/child for eternity it's business as usual: "Hey, I got no problem with that, as long as you say and do EXACTLY what I tell you!"

Here are eight indicators of a domestic bully. How many of you can honestly say, "That sounds like the god of the Bible."

*Bullies, threatens, or controls you Matthew 25:41
*Accuses you of having an affair 1 Kings 14:15
*Blames you for abuse 2 Kings 17:19-20
*Criticizes you Isaiah 64:6
*Tells you what to wear and how you should look Leviticus, Isaiah 3:16-23
*Threatens to kill you or someone close to you Numbers 14:36-38
*Throws things or punches walls when angry Numbers 21:4-9
*Yells at you and tells you you are his property 1Corinthians 6:20
*Extremely jealous when you glance at other men Exodus 20:5

This is but a small exposé of what the Biblical god is really like underneath all that "love".
I must admit, I do find it a little disturbing that the Lord could be weeping while all of this humanity is being thrown in the fiery pit.
This is what is commonly described in NDE's and Visions of Hell as well. (Fundies don't believe in these because they usually do not follow the Bible word for word)
Even Bill Wiese, who spent 23 Minutes in Hell, described this vision of the Lord weeping as another one arrived and was cast into the fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FkyF4ux70

Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Even Bill Wiese, who spent 23 Minutes in Hell, described this vision of the Lord weeping as another one arrived and was cast into the fire.
Let me alter that for you....

Even Bill Wiese, who CLAIMED to have spent 23 Minutes in Hell, described this vision of the Lord weeping as another one arrived and was cast into the fire.

You don't even see how daft that it is do you? I mean...23 minutes precisely not 'about 20 minutes' or 'around half-an-hour' but precisely 23 minutes. How did he arrive at that? Did he think that he'd better check the time as he was disappearing into hell and then, having experienced such a phenomenon, thought he'd better check the time when he got back?

Ye gods! What utter tripe and balderdash. You people will suck up anything.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Even Bill Wiese, who CLAIMED to have spent 23 Minutes in Hell, described this vision of the Lord weeping as another one arrived and was cast into the fire.

You don't even see how daft that it is do you? I mean...23 minutes precisely not 'about 20 minutes' or 'around half-an-hour' but precisely 23 minutes. How did he arrive at that? Did he think that he'd better check the time as he was disappearing into hell and then, having experienced such a phenomenon, thought he'd better check the time when he got back?

Well, as soon as one finds oneself in Hell, doesn't one immediately set the stopwatch on one's smart phone?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
LOL

No, you don’t take responsibility and you are inconsistent. If there is a god, it’s his/her/it’s fault people get AIDS. If there is no god, well, I guess you’d have to blame the person.
It is not always the person who contacts aids that was responsible for it. The Canadian Tainted Blood Scandal for example. But otherwise the person contacting aids propably is responsible for that due to unprotected sex or sharing needles etc. They did not get Aids because they are terrible or evil people though. And it is people who have developed treatment for aids victims.

The God of the OT supported slavery and genocide. He also ordered punishment for women who were raped putting the responsibility upon the victim. If there is a God and that God is fair and loving it is not the God of the OT. And if it is not the God of the OT then it cannot be the God of the NT as that book claims it to be the same God.

Yes any relationship in which one is given 100% of the credit and the other 100% of the blame regardless of who did what, or didn't do what is an abusive relationship. You refuse to see how your God can be anything but perfect and man be anything other than sinful.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:43 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Do you think he was just making it up?
Did you watch the video in it's entirety?
Then you will realise it is likely factual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FkyF4ux70

Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Well, as soon as one finds oneself in Hell, doesn't one immediately set the stopwatch on one's smart phone?
No, they text their literary agent on their smart phone and exclaim, "Have I got a hot one for you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality