Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times

Advertisements

I can't count how many times I've heard someone who is religious state that before they became a Christian that they were worthless, had no sense of direction, no moral compass, and only cared about themselves. I do have a feeling that religion tends to paint the human race as evil by it's very nature but I don't believe that this is true. The overwhelming majority of people I have come into contact with in my 59 years of living (I just turned 59 today) have been basically good irregardless of their religious or non religious beliefs. I just don't accept the notion that mankind is rotten to the core and only a conversion to Christianity can save them. I also believe that promoting a sense of guilt in people is a kind of marketing tool to push individuals to accept this religious framework. This can be a very self destructive way of thinking in my opinion. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,345,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I can't count how many times I've heard someone who is religious state that before they became a Christian that they were worthless, had no sense of direction, no moral compass, and only cared about themselves. I do have a feeling that religion tends to paint the human race as evil by it's very nature but I don't believe that this is true. The overwhelming majority of people I have come into contact with in my 59 years of living (I just turned 59 today) have been basically good irregardless of their religious or non religious beliefs. I just don't accept the notion that mankind is rotten to the core and only a conversion to Christianity can save them. I also believe that promoting a sense of guilt in people is a kind of marketing tool to push individuals to accept this religious framework. This can be a very self destructive way of thinking in my opinion. Any thoughts?
My religious heroes see Christ, when they look at people.

BTW: Enjoy the your 50's while they last

Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,176,343 times
Quote:
I would say that's accurate.

As many fundamentalists say, "Humans are naturally evil and need direction."

I don't believe that for one minute. I guess it makes some feel guilty about not being religious though, so they can use that to their advantage.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM

756 posts, read 2,575,689 times
I disagree also.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,982 times
"Does Religion Promote The View That People Are Basically Evil And Instill A Sense Of Guilt?"

Yes, it's a fundamental part of Christianity.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I just don't accept the notion that mankind is rotten to the core and only a conversion to Christianity can save them. Any thoughts?
This (above) I disagree with.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,886,054 times
Happy Birthday Montanaguy!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Its not about a "conversion", Its about a relationship with Jesus, The Son of God.
He made the path to God and forgiveness of sins.

Romans says "we all have sinned and fallen short"....Jesus was the LAST sacrafice, He took our place on the cross.

Those who choose (and it is a choice) not to believe this.....well its their choice.

Montana does not buy it, fine. It does not change the fact that it is the Truth.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Guilt comes from the devil. Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,176,343 times
Are you finished yet? We don't care if you believe it's the truth. We're addressing the viewpoint, not who believes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality