Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Most feel we should love God, now, how exactly does one do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Believe His Son.

John 6:29
Does this sound like a typical Christian propagandist reply or doesn't it?????????

God: "How do you love me? By loving my son, Jesus Christ as you would love me. By believing in my son, Jesus Christ as you would believe in me. (cue deep rumbling voice). By acknowledging my son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (cue thunder and lightning). And most important--NOT by helping out the poor and disenfranchised, but by worshiping my son, Jesus Christ as you would worship me."

God, don't you just love Christians?! Oh, and their propaganda too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Does this sound like a typical Christian propagandist reply or doesn't it?????????

God: "How do you love me? By loving my son, Jesus Christ as you would love me. By believing in my son, Jesus Christ as you would believe in me. (cue deep rumbling voice). By acknowledging my son, Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (cue thunder and lightning). And most important--NOT by helping out the poor and disenfranchised, but by worshiping my son, Jesus Christ as you would worship me."

God, don't you just love Christians?! Oh, and their propaganda too?
The worship meme is ancient and stems from very primitive roots of fear and placation of ANY powerful Ruler. God was a natural fit so the idea that God needed to be appeased and needs to be worshiped undergirds most obedience-oriented religions. It is the main corruption of Christ's Gospel that still exists even among modern minds. It is very sad.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The worship meme is ancient and stems from very primitive roots of fear and placation of ANY powerful Ruler. God was a natural fit so the idea that God needed to be appeased and needs to be worshiped undergirds most obedience-oriented religions. It is the main corruption of Christ's Gospel that still exists even among modern minds. It is very sad.

This is one of the few times I have agreed with every word you said, Mystic.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
yeah, its funny how god looks like man. Almost every trait assigned to it looks like a trait we would assign to a family member sometimes. or a family would demand from us?

"worship god", for me, only makes sense when I look at it as being needed by the worshiper. the system the person is in only needs that person to function "Properly".

Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Can a person 'love' this Supernatural Being like you would love a pet, a mother, a spouse, a baby?
I think you can.
How do you express love to another? Could you pick out anything that could be applied to that 'thing'
that is breathing you right now and looking out of your eyes? That Pure Awareness? From the list below?
(Forget religions and dogmas and words from the many scriptures out there.)

-You care about them...listen to them, spend time with them, encourage and support them.
-Nurture them, comfort them, keep them warm and safe....cook for them, buy them their favorite things
-Hug them, be affectionate to them
-Play ball with them.
-Accept their love
-You think about them during the day and let them know...ha, and it puts a smile on your face.
-Help them with their chores to ease their work load

Are there any things in the above you could add...and could any of these things be applied
to a Spiritual Being that dwells in all?

How would 'He' be different than any other love?

-oh, Remember their birthday or your anniversaries with 'their' special treats...not what you think they will like... ha, been there!!!~

Would loving an Infinite Intelligent Spirit be much different?

(Oh and for the religious: would it be loving to tell others if you don't love 'Him' you will be cast into eternal hell? Does that make sense? Does fear have any part in love?)

Thanks

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,548 times
Quote:
And yet Jesus said to do so !

Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Can a person 'love' this Supernatural Being like you would love a pet, a mother, a spouse, a baby?
I think you can.
How do you express love to another? Could you pick out anything that could be applied to that 'thing'
that is breathing you right now and looking out of your eyes? That Pure Awareness? From the list below?
(Forget religions and dogmas and words from the many scriptures out there.)

-You care about them...listen to them, spend time with them, encourage and support them.
-Nurture them, comfort them, keep them warm and safe....cook for them, buy them their favorite things
-Hug them, be affectionate to them
-Play ball with them.
-Accept their love
-You think about them during the day and let them know...ha, and it puts a smile on your face.
-Help them with their chores to ease their work load

Are there any things in the above you could add...and could any of these things be applied
to a Spiritual Being that dwells in all?

How would 'He' be different than any other love?

-oh, Remember their birthday or your anniversaries with 'their' special treats...not what you think they will like... ha, been there!!!~

Would loving an Infinite Intelligent Spirit be much different?

(Oh and for the religious: would it be loving to tell others if you don't love 'Him' you will be cast into eternal hell? Does that make sense? Does fear have any part in love?)

Thanks
Let's see, you don't approve of how Jesus said to love God ?

Remember His words to Peter;

"Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things."

Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 PM

"The Lord is the God of the living not of the dead."

Those who keep the commandments and walk in the light stand in the presence of God.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Any takers?
Can you muster love for your neighbor cutting trees that give you shade, out of spite?
Can you manufacture love for someone fee loading off the government or a woman, ha?
Can you make yourself just genuinely love period?
Love God?

How do you do it?

Agape love, unconditional love...how do you accomplish that state?
Thanks
I am generally a loving person, but I have my limits with people who are evil, support evil, or act like asses. Jesus himself castigated the Pharisees because of their religious hypocrisy, calling them whited sepulchres full of dead men's bones. Maybe part of love is speaking the truth?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Let's see, you don't approve of how Jesus said to love God ?

Remember His words to Peter;

"Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things."
Remember that Peter was showing love for Jesus - he didn't want him to die. The only one who acted to ensure that Jesus carried out his plan was Judas, and we are told that Satan entered into him. So explain hos Satan was helping God's plan to work while somebody (out of love) was supposedly on the side of Satan by opposing the plan?

Can you explain that to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality