Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Shouldn’t it be more about acceptance (and loving others) rather than loving a ‘God’? I mean, even if you believe in God, doesn’t it make sense to look at it in those terms? What would be the point otherwise?
Factionalism and Fascism are preferable to lots of people's fallible emotions and rationalizations.

To truly love you must know and test.
To truly love you must acknowledge and confront.
To truly love you must respect and correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 11:18 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Factionalism and Fascism are preferable to lots of people's fallible emotions and rationalizations.

To truly love you must know and test.
To truly love you must acknowledge and confront.
To truly love you must respect and correct.
There is no God. But it doesn’t mean I lack acceptance of other people.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Shouldn’t it be more about acceptance (and loving others) rather than loving a ‘God’? I mean, even if you believe in God, doesn’t it make sense to look at it in those terms? What would be the point otherwise?
That would be the reason for the teaching that if you do not love who you can see you cannot love God who you can not see.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be the reason for the teaching that if you do not love who you can see you cannot love God who you can not see.
But, in theory, wouldn’t the whole point be to love others? Or are you saying loving others - is simply a way to the ultimate goal, of loving God? Because that’s what it sounds like you are saying - and if loving God is the ‘important’ point, well - that loses me.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
But, in theory, wouldn’t the whole point be to love others? Or are you saying loving others - is simply a way to the ultimate goal, of loving God? Because that’s what it sounds like you are saying - and if loving God is the ‘important’ point, well - that loses me.
No. There is no more or less importance. Since we are part and parcel of God, it is the same thing. Whatsoever you do to these the least of me you do to me.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
That's pretty much what my old priest used to say. "We love God by loving others."

It's really the only thing that makes sense. It goes back to what I've said was always the base problem I had with Christianity. We are supposed to believe that God loves us, but you don't ever get to FEEL loved by God. You are supposed to just believe "God loves you" without experiencing any of the feeling of warmth that you experience when you know you are loved by another human being. It's awfully hard to believe someone loves you when they seem distant and uncaring and heck, maybe just not real.

So, again, what good is being loved by God when that doesn't mean you actually get to feel loved?

Well, maybe that's it. Being loved by God means you ARE loved by other human beings, and loving other human beings means that you are loving God.

Because...God is Love Itself, not an invisible person looking down demanding you believe he loves you while not allowing you to actually experience love.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's pretty much what my old priest used to say. "We love God by loving others."

It's really the only thing that makes sense. It goes back to what I've said was always the base problem I had with Christianity. We are supposed to believe that God loves us, but you don't ever get to FEEL loved by God. You are supposed to just believe "God loves you" but without experiencing any of the feeling of warmth that you experience when you know you are loved by another human being. It's awfully hard to believe someone loves you when they seem distant and uncaring.

So, again, what good is being loved by God when that doesn't mean you actually get to feel loved?

Well, maybe that's it. Being loved by God means you ARE loved by other human beings, and loving other human beings means that you are loving God.
Love is a state of mind and you experience it by creating that state of mind. We mistakenly think our thoughts and feelings are fleeting and insubstantial but they are the most real of all. The best part of the love state of mind is that it only increases when you add to it. It is NOT a zero-sum game.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's really the only thing that makes sense. It goes back to what I've said was always the base problem I had with Christianity. We are supposed to believe that God loves us, but you don't ever get to FEEL loved by God. You are supposed to just believe "God loves you" without experiencing any of the feeling of warmth that you experience when you know you are loved by another human being.
Yeah - I agree. One can take ‘God’ out of the equation and still have the same result i.e. love and acceptance of others. So what is the point of loving ‘God’?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
I totally get why you would say
loving God loses you.
What on earth does that even mean? I get it...and double that for an atheist.

The point for me "this thing that we are taught to love God"...and here I am asking how do you do that personally, really love God.
For me that is my thing....several times a day stopping and giving God my attention.
How does one love a doggy, their baby, their wife, their car.....it's the attention they give them.

I am 2 things...I am selfish and want Grace like you can't believe, (dunno what that feels like? Well,
I can't help that one) and 2nd I am selfless and JUST want to give love to Him, period...no
extra blessings, favor, Grace...nothing...just to love Him because THAT is what 'He' (Who has no gender),
wants and deserves.
Loving others? All that falls into place naturally...once you seek the Kingdom of Heaven first.

Those that think God has no needs? Um, nope...that is all He is...a bottomless well of need...
and what fills that well....is our love.
Why do you think He created this place? (Rhetorical to
non-atheists, of course.) He was alone!!!! Absolutely alone, the Unmanifest, The Only One.

Pls, no one believe me...get to know God intimately....may He show Himself to you.
He is One Bleeding Heart of Love...I say with profound, humbling reverence. ❤️
Loving Him is the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced....
way more than feeling His love for me.

I am a junky for that, I admit it.
And He knows that, it was He that ruined me!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Love is a state of mind and you experience it by creating that state of mind. We mistakenly think our thoughts and feelings are fleeting and insubstantial but they are the most real of all. The best part of the love state of mind is that it only increases when you add to it. It is NOT a zero-sum game.
Then that experience should be reflected in the love and acceptance of other people on this earth. Because love is much more than a state of mind; it is measurable by our actions, what we say, what we do, etc. On this earth is where it is important. Loving a ‘God’, on the other hand - yes, that is merely a state of mind (and really of no measurable importance).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-23-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality