Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 01:13 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah - I agree. One can take ‘God’ out of the equation and still have the same result i.e. love and acceptance of others. So what is the point of loving ‘God’?
Because He is our maker. He gave life to us. He loves us and resides in our midst. He is our Father and desires our love back.

Without God, there is no love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 01:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because He is our maker. He gave life to us. He loves us and resides in our midst. He is our Father and desires our love back.

How can you even possibly demonstrate that assertion? Would you also state that without God there is no hate? And if not why not?

Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

To the contrary, there is love on this earth - and it is measurable and knowable. I’m not referring to the ‘state of mind’ type love of a God.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:02 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's pretty much what my old priest used to say. "We love God by loving others."

It's really the only thing that makes sense. It goes back to what I've said was always the base problem I had with Christianity. We are supposed to believe that God loves us, but you don't ever get to FEEL loved by God. You are supposed to just believe "God loves you" without experiencing any of the feeling of warmth that you experience when you know you are loved by another human being. It's awfully hard to believe someone loves you when they seem distant and uncaring and heck, maybe just not real.

So, again, what good is being loved by God when that doesn't mean you actually get to feel loved?

Well, maybe that's it. Being loved by God means you ARE loved by other human beings, and loving other human beings means that you are loving God.

Because...God is Love Itself, not an invisible person looking down demanding you believe he loves you while not allowing you to actually experience love.
As I see it as well.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah - I agree. One can take ‘God’ out of the equation and still have the same result i.e. love and acceptance of others. So what is the point of loving ‘God’?
If God is love, what you’re asking is what is the point of loving love. Not loving the “feeling” of love, but loving love itself. And no, I don’t think one needs to believe that they are loving God to love love.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If God is Love, what you’re asking is what is the point of loving love. Not loving the “feeling” of love, but loving love itself. And no, I don’t think one needs to believe that they are loving God to love love.
No, I was asking what the point there is to loving ‘God’ when the end result is the same i.e love and acceptance of other people. Our actions on Earth is what matters (wouldn’t Christians agree with that anyway?) If not, then what Christians are saying is - loving God is more important than loving other people?

Old 02-23-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
No, I was asking what the point there is to loving ‘God’ when the end result is the same i.e love and acceptance of other people. Our actions on Earth is what matters (wouldn’t Christians agree with that anyway?) If not, then what Christians are saying is - loving God is more important than loving other people?
I’m not a Christian, but your post was in response to MQ who said that God is love itself which is why I responded as I did. To love God (assuming God is love) IS to love others.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How can you even possibly demonstrate that assertion? Would you also state that without God there is no hate? And if not why not?
Platitudes are all he's got.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Then that experience should be reflected in the love and acceptance of other people on this earth.
It IS and it cannot be otherwise.
Quote:
Because love is much more than a state of mind; it is measurable by our actions, what we say, what we do, etc. On this earth is where it is important. Loving a ‘God’, on the other hand - yes, that is merely a state of mind (and really of no measurable importance).
Wrong. It is our state of mind that produces the other outcomes, not the other way around. A loving state of mind (consciousness) IS what we are supposed to produce to reproduce God as offspring.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I love God by being obedient to Him on a personal level.
I choose to Love God on the basis He deserves it, by giving me existence .
The more I seek after His will the more I am lead, and as I obey His direction I receive blessings . I can't loose.
Even if i die doing as He asks I have nothing to fear.
I know this ,knowing His intervention through out my life and that I have purpose in heaven. this on earth is merely training ground . How critical a task do you give some one, trust has not yet been developed ?
Jesus Christ provided the Holy Spirit so one can know this relationship and actually Love God .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality