Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking this group might have an issue with monks...of any order.. Doing nothing 'for' anyone
to the naked eye accept
tilling their garden so they can be self-sufficient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 03:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Any takers?
Can you muster love for your neighbor cutting trees that give you shade, out of spite?
Can you manufacture love for someone fee loading off the government or a woman, ha?
Can you make yourself just genuinely love period?
Love God?

How do you do it?

Agape love, unconditional love...how do you accomplish that state?
Thanks
I am not exactly sure what exactly does this term “Love” mean when we associate it with God?

The term “Love” is so over exaggeratedly used in our daily lives that it has almost lost its meaning.

“I love tomatoes”
“I love salad”
“I love walking”
“I love beach”
“I love rollercoasters”
“I love Mickey Mouse”
“I love summers”
“I love sleeping”
“I love this” and “I love that”

Whatever this term “Love” means, IMO, human beings in general may not have the capacity to “Love” God.

We can only “obey” God within our means, and also we can try our best to live a peaceful and morally cautious life within the boundaries set by God’s guidance till the bell rings and our time is up.

It’s all about how much effort we have honestly put in.

This “God loves you” and “I love God” sometimes seem very shallow terms without the support of any action.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I love God by being obedient to Him on a personal level.
I choose to Love God on the basis He deserves it, by giving me existence .
The more I seek after His will the more I am lead, and as I obey His direction I receive blessings .
I can't lose.
Even if i die doing as He asks I have nothing to fear.
I know this ,knowing His intervention through out my life and that I have purpose in heaven. this on earth is merely training ground . How critical a task do you give some one, trust has not yet been developed ?
Jesus Christ provided the Holy Spirit so one can know this relationship and actually Love God .
Thank you, as usual.
Same with me ...what I bolded...the more I do His Will...and lemme tellya there
are plenty of times I don't want to!!!!...the more befalls me.

I didn't realize the Holy Spirit was so we could know God...I don't rem anyone
saying that to me before...I love the Holy Spirit...it's so funny He pops up when I least expect it!
Like a breeze going through me to my bones suggesting I do 'something'...if I hesitate there He is again compelling me to do 'the thing'.
One x on an airplane on the 5th x....I said inside, "OK! Already!" And did what He wanted me to do.
And people reading this think it's nuts...I get it.
Wasn't that long ago I might have at least thought. "What the heck?"
And then one day it happens to you!

Thanks Go Cardinals...another honest take.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
I'm thinking this group might have an issue with monks...of any order.. Doing nothing 'for' anyone
to the naked eye accept
tilling their garden so they can be self-sufficient?
Why would anyone have an issue with it?

Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I try to remember to thank every day for letting me be a part of it.
I think that's the gist of it. Appreciation for what you have, where your focus goes. Do the problems in your life overshadow the love or does the love overshadow the problems? Of course, it has to be reciprocal. If a person's been convinced they aren't allowed to feel that right where they stand then they probably will block it.

Love is strength. I heard a good quote:
“The stronger you become, the gentler you will be!”

Love to me means a person has an invisible barrier between them and the world. Who cares if someone cuts you off in traffic, calls you names, owns you on the internet, makes you look stupid because the only opinion of you that matters is the object of your love. A person shouldn't be afraid of those things either if they have love. As long as that's good all is good.

Love is also a drug, I would think that person might act a little buzzed up at times. They might not register a slight, they might assume the best in others, they might forgive, they might let someone else be strong or smart if that's what that person needs at the time.

I'd like to quote the prophets Firefall "That's a strange way to tell me you love me when your sorrow is all I can see."

Old 02-23-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Why would anyone have an issue with it?
Wait let's see what some others might say...I would think...because they aren't 'doing' anything...no good works or loving their neighbors... no money to give to charity..
being all reclusive?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Wait let's see what some others might say...I would think...because they aren't 'doing' anything...no good works or loving their neighbors... no money to give to charity..
being all reclusive?
Oh. But, why would anyone have a problem with what someone who isn’t harming anyone else is doing?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Not all monk orders are reclusive. Many engage with their surrounding communities. I buy cheese that was originally made and sold by Trappist monks in Quebec. (They've since sold the recipe to a commercial operation.)

Old 02-23-2019, 04:32 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Shouldn’t it be more about acceptance (and loving others) rather than loving a ‘God’? I mean, even if you believe in God, doesn’t it make sense to look at it in those terms? What would be the point otherwise?
Yes.

As I started reading this thread, I was thinking about this whole forum. I have to believe that with the exception of the religious part of the overall forum, that the people on this forum are a cross-section of our nation's population. Not exactly, of course, but roughly so. Go into the Politics & Other Controversies part of the forum, which I assume has to be made up of mostly people who believe in god. Read the discussions there. It's disgusting. Appalling. It makes me gag at how little compassion the people in that part of the forum tend to have. And I've seen this in my own life...regular church-goers who do anything but treat people with compassion. At the same time, I've seen many non-god people who are as compassionate as is possible. In every religion -- and in non-religion -- there are people who understand compassion and people who do not. But all of those people, including the non-believers can love their neighbor.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. There is no more or less importance. Since we are part and parcel of God, it is the same thing. Whatsoever you do to these the least of me you do to me.
No. Because your statement requires there be a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality