Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:34 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because He is our maker. He gave life to us. He loves us and resides in our midst. He is our Father and desires our love back.

Without God, there is no love.
That statement alone is the antithesis of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am not exactly sure what exactly does this term “Love” mean when we associate it with God?

The term “Love” is so over exaggeratedly used in our daily lives that it has almost lost its meaning.

“I love tomatoes”
“I love salad”
“I love walking”
“I love beach”
“I love rollercoasters”
“I love Mickey Mouse”
“I love summers”
“I love sleeping”
“I love this” and “I love that”

Whatever this term “Love” means, IMO, human beings in general may not have the capacity to “Love” God.

We can only “obey” God within our means, and also we can try our best to live a peaceful and morally cautious life within the boundaries set by God’s guidance till the bell rings and our time is up.

It’s all about how much effort we have honestly put in.

This “God loves you” and “I love God” sometimes seem very shallow terms without the support of any action.
Most people understand that almost all words in English have numerous meanings. No one - no one - thinks that love applied to, for example, tomatoes is the same as love applied to, for example, one's child.

How anyone can fail to comprehend this abundantly obvious fact is beyond me. Have they never once used a dictionary?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/love

Thus, the examples you list could not be more irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:50 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
To the contrary, there is love on this earth - and it is measurable and knowable. I’m not referring to the ‘state of mind’ type love of a God.
Love is not a human invention. It comes from our creator, who is love.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Love is not a human invention. It comes from our creator, who is love.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Love .... It comes from our creator, who is love.
And that is exactly how I was able to feel unconditional or Divine Love....I got a huge taste of it...
I went to the Source.
I couldn't "make" love happen in my heart...not Divine Love, I couldn't.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. There is no more or less importance. Since we are part and parcel of God, it is the same thing. Whatsoever you do to these the least of me you do to me.
Yet, you stated in a previous post loving others is sort of a ‘step’ in order to love God (who can’t be seen). Why any correlation or connection at all? It is taking the importance off of the here and now, what we see and what we do - and placing it on a love for God as the reason. That He ‘needs’ love. The world (and its people) is what needs love, not a God.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yet, you stated in a previous post loving others is sort of a ‘step’ in order to love God (who can’t be seen). Why any correlation or connection at all? It is taking the importance off of the here and now, what we see and what we do - and placing it on a love for God as the reason. That He ‘needs’ love. The world (and its people) is what needs love, not a God.
The step refers to the action of "loving". A god of love is cool, but the act of loving is cooler. "loving people" is our greatest "love". this stuff gets religious and religion isn't my thing, but thats my guess ... I guess.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Most people understand that almost all words in English have numerous meanings. No one - no one - thinks that love applied to, for example, tomatoes is the same as love applied to, for example, one's child.

How anyone can fail to comprehend this abundantly obvious fact is beyond me. Have they never once used a dictionary?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/love

Thus, the examples you list could not be more irrelevant to the subject of this thread.
Yes exactly!
And you conveniently ignored the very first sentence of my post.

Please explain it to me, what EXACTLY does “Love” mean associated to God?

Here are two examples,

“God loves you” or “God loves all humans”
“I love God”

Old 02-23-2019, 08:20 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That statement alone is the antithesis of love.
Explain, please.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Explain, please.
If a person is of a religion that does not believe in god, or is simply a non-believer, then your sentence implies that person cannot love. Baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality