Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The need to be "obedient"? what personality trait(s) focuses on that?
Make a list of traits, wouldya...cuz I was going to say 'smart', but that isn't a trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus demonstrated His love for the Father by being obedient.
That is the example I'm fallowing.
This may be an unusually accurate typo. Lying fallow means you have been cultivated but left unseeded by God because you obey but do not necessarily love each other every day and repent when you don't. The only way to be "conceived by God" (seeded) is to love and when you love you know God and Jesus. (Just making a point using your typo because I know nothing about you.)

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-24-2019 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Make a list of traits, wouldya...cuz I was going to say 'smart', but that isn't a trait.
I don't think it would be stupid to comply with things that are being directed by someone one knows has your best interests at heart. But if I don't know, with absolutely certainty, who is directing me, I'm sure going to have some safeguards in place to make sure I don't run off the rails. For instance, the bible … I'm not gonna unthinkingly put my fate in it's hands, assuming that everything in it is of God, when there's obviously plenty within it that is hateful and irrational. I'm not, for instance, going to offer my child (or anyone else) as a religious sacrifice in unquestioning obedience.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
The need to be "obedient"? what personality trait(s) focuses on that?
Insecure, childlike people.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Pay attention. Not everyone believes god made us. You have no respect for people who have different beliefs than your own.
Phetaroi, if I recall correctly, you are Buddhist? I believe I've heard that Buddhists are atheists, but tend to believe in reincarnation? Is that correct? Sorry, I've read Buddhist writings, long ago, and remember thinking some of it was very similar to Jesus' teachings in some ways (in regard to how to treat others, for instance), but I can't remember if those writings really touched on any doctrines about God and/or an afterlife.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Phetaroi, if I recall correctly, you are Buddhist? I believe I've heard that Buddhists are atheists, but tend to believe in reincarnation? Is that correct? Sorry, I've read Buddhist writings, long ago, and remember thinking some of it was very similar to Jesus' teachings in some ways (in regard to how to treat others, for instance), but I can't remember if those writings really touched on any doctrines about God and/or an afterlife.
1. There is nothing in Buddhism that every person must believe.
2. Yes, most Buddhists are atheists, but one is free to be both Buddhist and (for example) Christian. Buddhists are not required to believe everything in the Buddhist scriptures. You are expected to test principles for yourself.
3. Well rebirth...but close enough.
4. The general Buddhist thought (and others disagree) is that we cannot prove there is a god or how he works if he does exist, so we start our journey at a point beyond that. Why worry about what we can't substantiate?

Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Why worry about what we can't substantiate?
Yep.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
1. There is nothing in Buddhism that every person must believe.
2. Yes, most Buddhists are atheists, but one is free to be both Buddhist and (for example) Christian. Buddhists are not required to believe everything in the Buddhist scriptures. You are expected to test principles for yourself.
3. Well rebirth...but close enough.
4. The general Buddhist thought (and others disagree) is that we cannot prove there is a god or how he works if he does exist, so we start our journey at a point beyond that. Why worry about what we can't substantiate?
Okay, thanks.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Insecure, childlike people.
I was thinking co dependent? maybe? I must admit, "be obedient" is a puzzling trait to assign to god. Thats just not a more valid claim about the system we are in. In fact, its pretty inaccurate.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
I was thinking co dependent? maybe? I must admit, "be obedient" is a puzzling trait to assign to god. Thats just not a more valid claim about the system we are in. In fact, its pretty inaccurate.
OK guys....ex: you have obedience from a wretched King,
a brutal, egocentric, insecure dad.....Then, you have the obedience that is for you to learn and grow and
be safe and live happily from a loving teacher or parent, ie,
Don't cross the street, do your homework, practice your piano...be nice to your sister....And if you do all these ...there are rewards....top of your class, college scholarship, you're on your way ...etc...

I think some twist the word 'obey'.
That's why I first thought a person is 'smart' to obey...trust, rely on, listen to, follow...explains more to me as to our diff ways of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality