Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Thus, God simply chooses Not to know our choices in advance.
Well, Matthew, it's been rare that I've ever seen even christians tell us exactly how god thinks and acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
This assumes that the only two possibilities are:
1. God decreased violent crime in answer to prayer.
2. It was random chance.
But aren't there other possibilities?
I'm not doing the assuming.
I don't even know if TM people believe in God. I don't remember saying God decreased crime....Other possibilities?
Ah... yeah...I'm not here to defend the darn Universe...I placed links so if anyone is interested
Gregg Braden is your man.
Quote:
But, that wasn't the question. Thrillobyte offered a prayer, which you stated would not be answered as he is not a believer. This is a Biblical POV and I accept it. What if you, a believer, were to pray for the starving children? What would happen? You claim God miraculously heals people because you ask him to. Would he feed starving children if you asked?
Did I say cuz he was not a believer or did I say he had attitude which is a set up for failure...in anything, looking for a job...

Jesus did not/does not have the only edge on answered prayer...as far as Bible point of view comment.
No I couldn't have 'asked Him', I don't ask...I don't believe I would ever say it that way.
I remember saying I don't go into a room to heal someone saying..."In Jesus' name,' and
expecting anything. If not, I'm saying it now.

The thread's intention was to learn how the System works, so as not to think God doesn't ans prayers for feeding kids..how this whole thing of blaming God for starving children is a none issue...or bringing up why don't I pray for something...
I can't play the game of ''if'' I asked something.
Been around this forum too long...and I play pool.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
but yes, does a building have traits just before we build it from the prints? You could say "it doesn't have literal traits". But I would say that the building couldn't be built without any concept of traits.
That was a great response! You're not just a pretty face I see.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
May I ask, who then are you praying to? Who is performing the miraculous healing?
I think prayer is personal...how about to both questions I could say the Powers That Be....
conceptualized by many names by many cultures.
An 'Angel' reference.

But, again this thread is not about 'me'.
Added: I went back to see and I never said "God" in the op...and my 2nd post brought up God only in reference to Moses thing.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Except you mentioned the scale of influence individually is limited - which is really nothing more than saying ‘more people united toward a common goal can cause more change’. Well, yeah - that’s rather obvious! How does God or prayer even enter into that equation, then?
Well in my view, WE are embryonic cells of God, not separate beings.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
May I ask, who then are you praying to? Who is performing the miraculous healing?
God is through us because we are part and parcel of God.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
God is, as represented by us, and the scale of our effect is determined by how many of us sincerely desire it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thanks.

Gregg Braden speaks extensively on what the 'tipping point' to effect change is...it was the proverbial 100th monkey that changed it all on an island...there's even a book about it.

Meditation, Prayer and Intent...from an article..
4000 did this in '93
In 1993 a successful experiment was performed in Washington DC in America to demonstrate
the effect of a large group of transcendental meditators on crime levels.
In fact, the findings later showed that the rate of violent crime decreased by 23 percent during the June 7 to July 30 experimental period.
The odds of this result occurring by chance are less than 2 in 1 billion.

Btw, if anyone else would like to suggest for me to pray, as if they know anything about what
I actually do or think no one has ever said that, lol, thinking it uniquely clever...I say always...
'You pray'.
Another possibility is a good percentage of the would be miscreants were at the demonstration, praying

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-us-prisoners/
religious affiliation of inmates in U.S. prisons

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

I think the main thing is there is power in numbers, is all.

Would you be as psyched at a Queen concert all alone....or more in a crowd?
Focused mind power is intense.
Ha, imagine someone hated you and was giving you the evil eye....now imagine they got 25
of their friends to sit and all give you the evil eye....while taking a test! Ha!
There IS a difference!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM

8,714 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well in my view, WE are embryonic cells of God, not separate beings.
So you are saying, in essence, we are all God (and not separate). That is really nothing more than a creative way of saying we control our own lives and are responsible for our own resolution to world hunger (and prayer is useless), which is my point. You are defining God as an energy - which is nothing more than our conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality