Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
you sound like you are the same age as someone that needs 1
He's already gone through 6 of them this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
He's already gone through 6 of them this month.
Lol

Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
you sound like you are the same age as someone that needs 1

Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The client could certainly recognize himself. Whether it would happen or not is not the point; it’s professional ethics. This is a public forum and a professional code of conduct applies in regard to clients.
We don't even know what type of service LKC provides or who his clients might be. Maybe a professional code of conduct doesn't apply. He could be a bartender.

Anyway, let it go, kids. Professional ethics are not the subject of this thread.

Back to starving children. Has it ever been established in the first place that there are people who pray for starving children but don't give to charities that feed the poor? I know there are cases where food is provided with strings attached, but I think such situations are rare. (One that I know of from years long past was a friend's mother and her sister who would go to The Salvation Army for a meal as children but wouldn't be fed until they could prove they knew how to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers". I kind of like to fantasize that the Salvation Army members who made that little rule are roasting in some sort of appropriate hell where they feel hunger and must sing that hymn over and over again...)

For the record, I prefer helping local soup kitchens and food pantries, but I also regularly support City Harvest in NYC. We throw out so much perfectly good food in this country every day, and City Harvest exists to rescue food from restaurants and supermarkets and give it to various places around the city to distribute it. The donations go to paying people for the use of their trucks to get it where it needs to go.

At this point in time in the USA, I think there are food donation opportunities everywhere. Grocery stores have drives. Even an engineering conference I attended in the NY state capital last month had a huge display of canned goods that had been collected though the efforts of one of the organization's committees and was being given to a local pantry.

Most religious organizations certainly do support the soup kitchens and pantries in their areas, if they don't run one themselves.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-26-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
This is a really good question....
I gave you no demographic info other than that he is male and that if he sees me, then psych services are involved. Lets leave it as case number xyz and move on.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:49 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't even know what type of service LKC provides or who his clients might be. Maybe a professional code of conduct doesn't apply. He could be a bartender.

Most religious organizations certainly do support the soup kitchens and pantries in their areas, if they don't run one themselves.
Id love to be a bartender. They probably make more money than I feel like I do some days.

Moving on

When I was younger, we had a local food bank and assistance program run by volunteers from most of the area churches. It worked well because if church A had a food drive on the first Sunday of January, church B had one on the 3rd sunday, church C had one two weeks later......we never ran out of food. Each church .....somewhere .....was having a food drive for us once a year but because they were staggered, food was always being collected somewhere. Plus all the local grocers gave us food that was short dated but usable, and random people would drop off food.....we reached the needs of some of the communities neediest people.
So yes,people did give as they could.

As for sams and conditions, ask Paul Theroux or Richard Grant about the "missionary" types in Africa. I do not support missionary work never have and never will. According to those who have been there, making someone sing "onward Christian Soldiers" for a cup of soup is mild compared to the crappola Missionaries deal out to African people. A good example also is "Dead Aid" by Mayo. But that is another topic
My favorite phrase is
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life. "

I have no problem feeding kids and those who are disabled. For the rest I try to coach them as to how to better help themselves. But I will not watch someone starve.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Id love to be a bartender. They probably make more money than I feel like I do some days.

Moving on

When I was younger, we had a local food bank and assistance program run by volunteers from most of the area churches. It worked well because if church A had a food drive on the first Sunday of January, church B had one on the 3rd sunday, church C had one two weeks later......we never ran out of food. Each church .....somewhere .....was having a food drive for us once a year but because they were staggered, food was always being collected somewhere. Plus all the local grocers gave us food that was short dated but usable, and random people would drop off food.....we reached the needs of some of the communities neediest people.

As for sams and conditions, ask Paul Theroux or Richard Grant about the "missionary" types in Africa. I do not support missionary work never have and never will. According to those who have been there, making someone sing "onward Christian Soldiers" for a cup of soup is mild compared to the crappola Missionaries deal out to African people. A good example also is "Dead Aid" by Mayo. But that is another topic
My favorite phrase is
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life. "

I have no problem feeding kids and those who are disabled. For the rest I try to coach them as to how to better help themselves. But I will not watch someone starve.
Amen!

I've recently acquired a second favorite phrase, "I will not applaud a fish for swimming".

Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Moving on

My favorite phrase is

Good post. Yes, I grew up in a church that emphasized foreign missionaries. They would come visit us to talk and tell us about the bugs where they lived and the disgusting things they had to eat. They convinced me that I'd never want to be a missionary.

At Christmas, they would have us bring in a can of fruit to Sunday School for "the poor", and there was a "mitten tree" for hats and gloves to be given away, but it was always the perception that the poor were far away. They weren't, and there was always this idea that those who did struggle brought it upon themselves.

My first Episcopal Church back in the 90s was part of an organization then called The Interreligious Coalition for the Homeless. It was formed when a county official recognized the growing need to feed people in the county seat of Bergen County, NJ, one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, and no funds to do so. He wrote to six area churches asking for assistance. By the time I came along, there were 80 religious entities involved, including all sorts of Christian churches, a few synagogues, and a Sikh temple.

I coordinated the effort for the three or four times a year when our little parish had their day. I enjoyed it. Went to the markets in nearby Paterson to get food in bulk, got everyone cooking in the church kitchen, then we schlepped everything to Hackensack where the tables were set up to feed about 125 people every day. The clients were all sorts of people, some would yell at us, some were grateful, some barely spoke, some you could tell had mental problems. It didn't matter. Everyone should be able to eat, says The Mighty Queen.

I've since done something similar from time to time in the area where I live now, and I hope to get more involved in something along those lines in the future as my work life winds down and I move into full-time retirement mode.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Amen!

I've recently acquired a second favorite phrase, "I will not applaud a fish for swimming".
I've written a lot about fishing over the decades. The adage is timeless and true. Fish are good teachers if one is open to the lessons.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 PM

I moved to the edge of wilderness a few years ago. The nearest town of 3500 is 20 miles away. There are a few tiny, scattershot communities within a couple hundred square miles of here and there.

Winters are long and hard. Jobs can ebb and flow with how good the previous summer's tourism business was. Or wasn't.

There's more churches within that couple hundred square miles than you can shake several sticks at. Of every, and a whole bunch of non, denominations.

And there's gay couples running a couple of businesses in town. And the United Church Minister is a lesbian.

And folks don't much care what you do, or don't, for an hour or two once a week.

What's important is being a good neighbour in good times and bad. Because both will be along.

There is strong community support for those in need. There's regular food drives and fund raisers sponsored by churches, community groups, civic organizations, charities etc.

We just need more people to realize that our little, blue planet is nothing more than a tiny community in a vast universe, not 92 splintered, arguing, regional, small-minded, navel-gazing countries with no interests outside their own.

Earth needs to grow up and see itself as a whole that can be nothing else but the sum of its parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality