Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Yeah, this thread has 'starving children' in the title but that's pretty much ignoring all the other afflictions that 'could' be wiped out if those who think prayer has that ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 06:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So how about if YOU pray for the starving children, Miss Hepburn? What will happen?
Nothing, same as when all the world's Church leaders get together to pray for peace.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I moved to the edge of wilderness a few years ago. The nearest town of 3500 is 20 miles away. There are a few tiny, scattershot communities within a couple hundred square miles of here and there.

And there's gay couples running a couple of businesses in town.
And the United Church Minister is a lesbian.
And folks don't much care what you do, or don't, for an hour or two once a week.
What a post. It read like a story of the old West or here in the mountains of Colorado.
(My aunt and Uncle made a living as farmers in Windsor, Ontario-pigs, cows, pastures, the real deal---lard and bacon prob killed my Uncle Otho).
I never new the sort of area you lived in, I mean, 20 miles from such small town!
Going to Canada (not cities like Toronto, Montreal or Quebec, of course) was always like stepping back in time by at least 20 years, now more.)

I just thought what a great wise phrase I will use sometime...about not caring what folks do, haha, a hr a week...or month!
'Scattershot' over 200 miles...that is wilderness!
Got dogs?A good SUV or Truck?How is Canada on having guns or a rifle up there?
I have 2 wood burning stoves, love 'em...you?

Old_Cold...'starving children' is the most common 'dig' thrown at people who speak highly of prayer or belief. Thank you for pointing out there are other issues, too.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Petunia, rafius...how much to you give to overseas aid, huh? How much and where?

(I don't care...but, do you see how inappropriate that ques is? How did it initially feel?

I 'added the, 'huh...?', so it would seem as much of the affront it is when posted to
very nice people, that just believe differently than you do.)

Prayer or asking the Universe or the Law of Attraction or positive thinking or affirmations can be
mysterious things to many people, so?
And too many people they are not mysterious at all....so?
And to others they try it to just be hopeful.

To try to confront or put down a nice person that 'asks or keeps positive thoughts' for their son to graduate or for their mom
to get over her grief soonis not something to mock with a:
"Oh, and what about the starving children in the world...do you keep positive
thoughts about THEM?" ♫ Nananana "Oh you just attracted money to come your way outta the blue?
How nice. What about people dying of cancer?" Grrr ...

And it happens all the time...and not just on forums it's like pushing a kid down in the sandbox
cuz they have candy and you don't...it reflects more on the pusher.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Petunia, rafius...how much to you give to overseas aid, huh? How much and where?.
Now, very little as I'm on a pension and struggling myself but if you would like to know what I've done in the past, feel free to PM me.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've written a lot about fishing over the decades. The adage is timeless and true. Fish are good teachers if one is open to the lessons.
Yes, that especially rings true for me when I think of the wild salmon. They like the cicadas and others are obviously on a mission.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:

And it happens all the time...and not just on forums it's like pushing a kid down in the sandbox
I disagree in that it generally is only brought up after someone brags about how some random incident was healed or helped by prayer, ignoring all the times when it didn't do a damn thing.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:05 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nothing, same as when all the world's Church leaders get together to pray for peace.
Exactly. Nothing happens. So, IMO, this sums up the reason for skepticism regarding prayer quite nicely.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Petunia, rafius...how much to you give to overseas aid, huh? How much and wher

(I don't care...but, do you see how inappropriate that ques is? How did it initially feel?

I 'added the, 'huh...?', so it would seem as much of the affront it is when posted to
very nice people, that just believe differently than you do.)

Prayer or asking the Universe or the Law of Attraction or positive thinking or affirmations can be
mysterious things to many people, so?
And too many people they are not mysterious at all....so?
And to others they try it to just be hopeful.

To try to confront or put down a nice person that 'asks or keeps positive thoughts' for their son to graduate or for their mom
to get over her grief soonis not something to mock with a:
"Oh, and what about the starving children in the world...do you keep positive
thoughts about THEM?" ♫ Nananana "Oh you just attracted money to come your way outta the blue?
How nice. What about people dying of cancer?" Grrr ...

Actually, I don't understand the hostility you have devolved into at all. It was "inapproprate" for me to ask about the results were you to pray, when you are the person who brought up the topic in the first place! Um, OK.

My opinion regarding the futility of prayer remains unchanged. If I want to know if prayer is futile or not, all I have to do is take a look around me. The answer is obvious. Starving children cry out for food, don't they? Of course they do. No one answers. That's the bottom line.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I Give lots locally but ZERO to overseas aid (other than what the Government sends of my Tax Money)
I never believed in "Missionary " work. From my point of view, the biggest "problems" in the world were those seated around me on Sundays. If anyone needed work, then it should have started there. I did not like the idea of giving money to some missionary who not only has no respect for other cultures but who tries to create cultures who=ich would be as dysfunctional as the one I was in every Sunday.

I also read this book and I can agree with why overseas aid needs to be reviewed. I also read one of Theroux's great travel books and read about his run-ins with African Missionaries. Many are the same kinds of lowlifes that I knew from Sunday mornings. The ones I will not support.

But locally, yes, buying extra food each week and sending it to the food bank is easy. Doing enough....that is much harder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality