Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,443,868 times

Advertisements

i agree that the case needs to be able to be made without involving religion. partially because it is not a problem that applies only to religious people, and partially because if we cannot make it without citing scriptures and creeds, we are not going to be able to make the case in the first place.

i remember how hard it was for my wife when she had a miscarriage. it was really a traumatizing event. it was sad for me, and the whole pregancy was surreal and hard to comprehend in the first place, so losing the baby was even harder.

i cannot understand the mindset that decides that since the baby 'probably' cannot feel/experience/associate pain, it must be ok to do.

in the court of law, a tie goes to the defender. in the case of abortion, we have just decided that since there is no 100% evidence supported and agreed upon by all parties stating that the baby is an actual, living being with feelings, personality, and sensory capability, that we are going to convict.

for the most part i see people who were too selfish, thoughtless, or lazy to use birth control, abstinence being the only 100% method, but deciding that they are not ready to be parents. i think that this kind of reasoning (or lack thereof) is self-destructive and societally destructive as well as cruel to the child.

i realize that there are exceptions. i think that the option should remain on the table for a mother-to-be that is facing a complication that would endanger her life, and i am considering the factors of rape and incest, though i am not sure that abortion is an answer to the pain that is going to be caused there.

al in all, i think that abortion is a crime. i feel that it is past time that america should have seen it for what it is and stopped sitting on the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,129,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
IMHO, abortion can only be considered "wrong" by someone who regards a fetus as a person rather than a collection of cells and biological matter.

I am adamantly pro-choice and don't believe any law should abridge a woman's right to choose.

I agree with the poster who says that if someone thinks an abortion is wrong, then that person shouldn't have one. It's her body, her choice, her philosophy of when life begins. My philosophy happens to be that life as a human being begins at birth, and not before.

May I remind those who claim that unwanted pregnancies are the result of "sexual hedonism" that the only 100% effective method of birth control for is by either vasectomy or tubal ligation (and there have been cases of even those occasionally failing). Abstinence is one thing for teens, but does anyone honestly think that it's the answer for adults in their 40s, 30s, or even late 20s who don't happen to be married or in an exclusive relationship? Come on, get real.

I'd be curious to know how many people who spout pat answers about how unplanned pregnancies "should" be handled, have ever actually BEEN in that situation. Not many, I bet. Talk is easy; real-life situations aren't.
I have and I previously posted it in this thread.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM

184 posts, read 1,542,532 times
Quote:
i feel that it is past time that america should have seen it for what it is and stopped sitting on the fence.
Did you know that among developed countries (defined as all of Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the United States) 71% of those countries permit abortion on demand?

There is an interesting graphic breaking down the abortion laws in Developed Countries, Developing Countries, and the World overall, here:

Abortion in Context: United States and Worldwide

It's interesting that even in the entire world (and that includes countries in which abortion is illegal under ANY circumstances.... places like Iran, Iraq, and other "bastions of individual freedom"...) 41% of countries allow abortion on request, and another 20% allow it to protect the woman's life, physical health, mental health, or socioeconomic reasons. That's more than half of all nations on earth. I hardly think the USA is a fence-sitter on this topic.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,819,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
exactly what evidence......
by gestational week 8 - all major brain regions are present
by week 9-12 brain continues to enlarge and spinal cord curves at cervical and lumbar regions
by week 13-16 cerebellum becomes prominent, general sensory organs differenciate, eyes blink and sucking motions of lips occur
by week 17-20 something called 'quickening' occurs...mother feels spontaneous muscular activity
by week 30 it can suck its thumb and MOVE around, kick, punch...

so what exactly makes you think it cannot feel pain....I do believe it may depend on the age of fetus ...but it certanly is able to withdraw from pain before delivery day....
My evidence?

According to a recent study (JAMA -- Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence, August 24/31, 2005, Lee et al. 294 (8): 947), a fetus does not have the capacity for pain until the third trimester. 98% of abortions are performed before the third trimester, and personally, I'm not a fan of late-term abortions. However, this is the evidence that points that it is rather unlikely that a fetus will feel pain before it's third trimester.

Quote:
call it like it is....if you think its ok to litterally rip apart a moving entity in anothers body...fine more power to you...

but dont try to disguise whats really happening...if you feel better thinking it dont know whats goin on...it probably does not comprehend....brain maturity is not reached until about age 19-22.
Is it really anyone's business what another person does to what is inside their own body? I'm not trying to disguise what is happening. I'm merely providing the information that I have.

Are you trying to imply that one cannot comprehend anything before the ages of 19-22? Because that goes into psychology, something I'm studying, and I'm not sure if I really want to get into Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development at 4 AM.

Quote:
whatever helps you sleep at night...
You know what helps me sleep at night? Knowing that I'm smarter than the average Jane and my panda plushies.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 AM

123 posts, read 303,548 times
It is; it is; it is. It's not the privacy which is a human right I would think about. It's the belief in the true knowledge for opinion about abortion on demand.

That one is just, because of religion and whatever concerning the faith in doctors, medicine, and people's mental prejudice. (These aren't our core beliefs) people can and must have the wrong idea for the thinking about "cognitional development" at 4 a.m.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
Did you know that among developed countries (defined as all of Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the United States) 71% of those countries permit abortion on demand?

There is an interesting graphic breaking down the abortion laws in Developed Countries, Developing Countries, and the World overall, here:

Abortion in Context: United States and Worldwide

It's interesting that even in the entire world (and that includes countries in which abortion is illegal under ANY circumstances.... places like Iran, Iraq, and other "bastions of individual freedom"...) 41% of countries allow abortion on request, and another 20% allow it to protect the woman's life, physical health, mental health, or socioeconomic reasons. That's more than half of all nations on earth. I hardly think the USA is a fence-sitter on this topic.
those are some very enlightening stats. thank you for posting them. i was in no way trying to compare america to other countries. i was mostly complaining about the fact that we can never seem to agree on anything, even something so core as the sanctity of life.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to imply that one cannot comprehend anything before the ages of 19-22? Because that goes into psychology, something I'm studying, and I'm not sure if I really want to get into Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development at 4 AM.
i don't think that the poster was trying to argue that point. it struck me that they were arguing against the flaw in saying that abortion is ok because the brain is not fully developed yet. so they were mentioning that the brain is not actually developed fully until puberty is over and done with.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,431,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
It is estimated that the bible tells us that god killed 32,920,670 people, just in the bible stories alone.

Why do people who worship such a blood thirsty god, worry about the sanctity of life ?

Seriously, christians say abortion is wrong yet god kills kids, they say murder it wrong yet god kills men, woman and children.

Christians will say "well Jesus changed all that" but the bible says god does not change. He has no turning of shadow.

More and more I am astounded at how vastly different christians are from what the bible they claim they follow actually teaches.

Oh, do not get me wrong, that is a good thing, they are bad enough already without becoming the same as their blood thirsty god.
God does not change. He was good and just in the old testament as he is in the new testament even to this day. Yes, God destroyed alot of sinful people but not until their sin was full. That means he waited to see if they would turn from their wicked ways.

Noah preached to the people of his time but only him and his wife, his three sons and their wives entered the ark. Not because they wouldn't let the others in, but because the others did not want to be saved.

When Jesus returns there will be many who will end up in hell because they thought they had time or they thought that certain scientists were right (and God didn't exist). These people are foolish because they trade eternity of peace and joy for a few years of satisfying their lustful desires.

So what have I said in all of this. You judge God because you think that you are better than him. You think that killing is wrong if it goes against your philisophical beliefs. The governments of many contries retain the right to execute people who have defied them in some way. So, to God who is creator of all retains the right to remove those he deems have proven themselves unworthy of life. And even if he removes the righteous along with the un-godly, the apostle summed it up well, "absent from the body, present with the Lord". But of course how could God be so mean you might say. But I am sure if Hitler was living in the house next to you I am sure that you would not fell so tollerable especially if you were a jew. So you can see that there is only so much time we are each given on this earth to prove ourselves wheather for righteousness or ungodlyness.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,951,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Personally, I don't believe it's a big deal. If someone doesn't want to have a baby, alright, let it go.

But, what's the big hold up and why does it need to be illegal?
The Bible speaks of two men fighting, by accident one man hits a woman that was pregnant. The woman losses her child, the man that hit her is ordered to pay a fine to cover the loss of the child. If he refuses, the Bible then tells us his life will be required. BECAUSE IT IS A LIFE FOR A LIFE. The Bible has raised the bar on human life. Abortion is murder, and the Bible is clear that unrepentant murders will not enter the kingdom of heaven. It might not be a big deal to you now, but the day will come when you stand before the Throne of God. On that day, those who supported legal abortion will understand that legalized murder may of passed Americas Surpream court, but it will not pass Gods.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,129,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The Bible speaks of two men fighting, by accident one man hits a woman that was pregnant. The woman losses her child, the man that hit her is ordered to pay a fine to cover the loss of the child. If he refuses, the Bible then tells us his life will be required. BECAUSE IT IS A LIFE FOR A LIFE. The Bible has raised the bar on human life. Abortion is murder, and the Bible is clear that unrepentant murders will not enter the kingdom of heaven. It might not be a big deal to you now, but the day will come when you stand before the Throne of God. On that day, those who supported legal abortion will understand that legalized murder may of passed Americas Surpream court, but it will not pass Gods.
If God told you he wanted you to go out and make the case against abortion withour ever mentioning his name or the bible, what would you say to people? How would you make the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality