Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,632 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't believe it's a big deal. If someone doesn't want to have a baby, alright, let it go.

But, what's the big hold up and why does it need to be illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Personally, I don't believe it's a big deal. If someone doesn't want to have a baby, alright, let it go.

First off I certainly don't think abortion should be illegal and I don't think all people who are against abortion necessarily think it should be either.

If someone doesn't want to have a baby then they have no right having unprotected sex.

If you don't believe abortion is murder then sure let it go but many people believe it is murder. Do you not think murder is a big deal?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,826 times
I believe it is a big deal.....

Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Depends on whether you think the fetus is a human entity. If it is a person, then abortion is murder. If its not, then I can see why people would think it is ok.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Quote:

I'm pro-choice but against abortion.
What's the big deal? Have you had one? It's not fun and 20 years later i have regrets that i had no idea i'd have when i was so much younger.
It's a violent procedure, it's painful and setting aside the moral issue and all that goes with that, it is the killing of a life form and i don't even kill little bugs ... or anything.
Also, (and i don't like to support pro-life [ie; anti choice) people because i really think this choice belongs in the hands of the woman, when i had an abortion i did not realize that at 3 months (which is where i was in the pregnancy) the fetus is quite well formed.
I didn't get it until a few months later, i watched a PBS program on conception and the development of the fetus.
So, though i'm very pro-choice, i actually don't have an issue with young women being shown where the fetus is developmentally.
Had i been aware of this, i may not have had an abortion. And what would that entail. Well, either i'd have a beautiful child or someone else would had i opted to give him/her up for adoption. Hindsight isn't 20/20 because it's impossible to know what that choice of the past would have meant.
All that said, i wish people would stop Moderator cut: inappropriate without protection if they are not equipped to be parents.
And when women have more than one abortion, it's upsetting. If you're not sensitive enough after one abortion to take precautions to ensure there won't be a second abortion ... well, i dunno. I think people are pretty numbed out and disassociated, generally speaking.
So when you ask, "What's the big deal?", what can i say? Are you that shallow? Even at a young age and even though i decided to have an abortion, i knew that it was a very big deal.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-10-2008 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Let's try and "reword" that one, okay?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
^^^^ I agree with a lot of this. Although I have yet to be pregnant, and never had to make the decision to have an abortion. And while, I doubt I could go through with an abortion, I don't feel it is my place to tell anyone what they should or should not do.

ALSO, I don't think people do need to be more educated, and schools should do more to educate students on birth control, and discuss what methods work, and how.
I know a lot of people are aghast that students would be taught about this in school, but if they don't get the info at home, then they may not get accurate good information anywhere. Furthermore, I think there needs to be easier access to low-cost birth control. Without education and access, I think we could help alot.

Furthermore, I think if abortion were to be illegal, or if there is a strong lobby to restrict legal abortions (which will never eliminate abortion - people will just do it illegally), I think we need to find a solution for how all of those unwanted children will taken care of. Are all the offenders going to be jailed? I think abortion is low on the list of "crimes" that should be prosecuted.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Quote:

If someone dosen't want to have a baby, is it ok if we kill babies?

I personally am against abortion, but public policy should allow it.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i do have a child, and i dont know if i would ever have an abortion. some people do terminate their pregnancies if they know early on that the child may have serious problems.
i do not think abortion should be illigal! it will only end up being done in behind some dirty shop like they did years ago...
but with that said, i dont think it should be used as a form of birth control like too many women are using it....

Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
It is murder.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,446 times
I am a man so I will never be faced with the choice of having an abortion. I still think men should be very familiar with the subject, as they are generally the cause of an unwanted pregnancy. I don't think a late-stage abortion is murder, but it does fall somewhere close, and should be reserved for those rare occasions when birth is not a safe option. However, if a pregnancy is very very early it seems less likely you are killing a human being, and more likely you are aborting something not yet a human being. 'Bun in the oven' comes to mind. The problem seems to be that the baby develops a lot of key human parts like the spinal cord before a woman might even be aware she is pregnant, or had time to consider whether to abort or not. By the time she is actually at the clinic ready for the abortion, the developing baby is not just a cluster of cells, but has several differentiated parts which might classify it as a 'person.' Who can say when a child first becomes sentient? This seems to be the core of the debate, and I would be hard pressed to find a black and white answer which either says all abortion is evil, or abort freely as much as you want.

I do not think abortion should be illegal. This would only cause the desperate pregnant woman to seek an abortion in a less sanitary, less controlled, less regulated environment. She might die from an operation performed by someone who is not a doctor, and then both child and mother are lost.

I agree that these subjects should be thoroughly covered in schools, mandatory as a part of every sex ed class, starting perhaps from junior high. Parents who didn't agree could opt their children out of the class. Any subject which is ignored in school will only add to the problems in America, whether it be abortion, personal finance, healthy eating habits..

It can only help young people if they understand the subject and are able to make a more educated decision. Give every student a business card with a phone number and website on it, which could be accessed to answer any questions students might have while outside of the classroom. Equipping students with knowledge is at least a start.

On a related note, teaching abstinence does not seem to work very well for fighting either pregnancy or std's (American Social Health Association - Learn about STDs/STIs). A program geared towards teaching safe sex seems more promising, as a condom will prevent most pregnancies and also significantly decrease the risk of transfering an std to a partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality