Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
School should be a place where people learn that they are part of a larger society, and that they must learn to get along with others in order to be a productive member of society. God is the universal spirit which unites people together.
Forcing your particular religious beliefs on other people's children is your idea of getting along? I already explained to you the problem certain Christian sects might have with this and you just try to pretend this is an atheist thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
School should be a place where people learn that they are part of a larger society, and that they must learn to get along with others in order to be a productive member of society. God is the universal spirit which unites people together.
No, school should be a place where students learn respect for other cultures, as well as their own, and that larger society is the world.

And no, your god does not unite Buddhists, Hindus, etc. That's just your ego talking.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Forcing your particular religious beliefs on other people's children is your idea of getting along? I already explained to you the problem certain Christian sects might have with this and you just try to pretend this is an atheist thing.
So maybe it's just a fundy thing. Theist or atheist.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
So maybe it's just a fundy thing. Theist or atheist.
What is?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, school should be a place where students learn respect for other cultures, as well as their own, and that larger society is the world.

And no, your god does not unite Buddhists, Hindus, etc. That's just your ego talking.
I think religion is just a societal thing. There are plenty of foreign people who convert when they enter a new country.

The one who fights that, THEIR ego is what tells them to fight it, even when their spirit tells them not to. They are no better than the atheist fighting his own culture's unity.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think a lot of people think along these lines. I'll do the best I can and hope that God doesn't get too nitpicky with people like me. Those who I've judged to be worse than me in this lifetime will get what's coming to them in the next life.

I don't see it that way. Nor do I think one's religious beliefs or lack thereof matter one wit other than to the degree that they influence us for better or worse. And since I have personal experience with being a Christian who thought that we all need to believe Jesus died to save us from God's wrath in order for us not to be sentenced to an eternity of torment, and I know that belief did a lot of damage to me in innumerable ways, that's the belief I challenge. I challenge it on a pragmatic level (it can be a very destructive belief), and on the point that it is a self-contradictory belief system, ie. it makes no sense.

I do agree with you that we don't know our "destiny". No one can prove that there even is an "afterlife". But, if God is love, then there's nothing to fear from God, although some Christians assure us there is.
If, as per Christian theology, God is all love and nothing but love, then there should’nt be a concept of Hell in Christianity. Why would such a God create hell and fire if he is all love and nothing but love?

Matter of fact, he turned and created TWO hells.
His heaven has no sex!
That’s another hell in itself.

I mean, you have gazillions of years to live, you look at your lovely wife - and you don’t get an erection, ? After Tuesday, even the calendar says, W T F!

An all “love” and nothing but “love” God won’t allow it’s believers to “make love”?

So much for this “love” thingy, isn’t it?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 03-06-2019 at 12:13 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
No - that is what YOU believe - that some "god" is the universal spirit that makes everyone get along.

Essentially what you're saying here is that if everyone had your beliefs, everyone would get along. That's the same EXACT thing as saying, "Gee, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any war!"

Well, if the atheist view is incorrect, so is yours.

It is patently absurd to think that we should push - not just religion in general, but YOUR personal idea of what it should be - onto a captive audience in school.

As I've said again and again, your religious beliefs should be yours alone, and everyone ought to have the freedom to accept - or reject - various beliefs as they see fit.

I am adamantly against using compulsory education as a vehicle to drive home your - or anyone else's - religious belief.

You may have noticed, but I have a little, uhm, bias against fascism. That includes, I might add, theocratic fascism whereby the State (i.e. schools) set the standard for what a student should believe and what they should reject. That is their own personal business and not the business of the state.

It couldn't be any simpler than that.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should be offended by the Lord's Prayer in public school. To me it is so much about brining about a better world, something which everyone can agree with.
Why shouldn't I be offended?

When students have to recite a prayer to a specific god of a specific religion, it means the State is mandating a specific religious belief.

That makes me *very* offended. Oh, of course YOU wouldn't be offended because it parallels what you, yourself, believe.

But why should a Hindu student recite a Catholic prayer? Why should a Muslim student? A Protestant? A Wiccan? An atheist?

Again, this is why I have become an anti-thesit - because FAR too many believers care nothing for the rights of others. They want THEIR religion to be placed above all others, the more brainwashed into believing it the better.

And no thought at all is given to the students' rights to decide for themselves what to believe - or if to believe at all.

What's unfortunate is that religion is handed out like drugs - there's a reason why it was called "The Opiate of the Masses" - and there are enough dealers out there trying to get everyone hooked on their particular drug. Might as well put herione in the milk of every student at school - because why not? I take herione, right? So might as well make sure everyone is addicted.

It's the same thing.

If religious people didn't have this lousy attitude toward freedom, I wouldn't be so outspoken about it. But I run across this again and again knowing the only protection any minority group has is that flimsy piece of paper called the Constitution - which a lot of Christians ignore. And are ignoring even as we speak.

Already 5 or 6 states has allowed the phrase, "In God We Trust" on the walls of classrooms - which is just greasing the rails for religious belief.

We live in a pluralistic society with a lot of different beliefs - including differing beliefs within the same religion. It is disgusting to live in a supposedly "free" society that wants to brainwash its kids into religion.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should be offended by the Lord's Prayer in public school. To me it is so much about brining about a better world, something which everyone can agree with.
Wrong, Ozzy. EVERYONE should be offending by anybody trying to impose The Lord's Prayer on public school children. The 1st Amendment clearly prohibit's the government from imposing any religion on the citizens. The Lord's Prayer is specifically a Christian ritual. The Supreme Court made it abundantly clear that such activities in schools violate the 1st Amendment. We should all, as citizens, fight any attempt to circumvent the Constitution. Our religious freedom is at stake if we fail to do so.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No - that is what YOU believe - that some "god" is the universal spirit that makes everyone get along.

Essentially what you're saying here is that if everyone had your beliefs, everyone would get along. That's the same EXACT thing as saying, "Gee, if there was no religion, there wouldn't be any war!"

Well, if the atheist view is incorrect, so is yours.

It is patently absurd to think that we should push - not just religion in general, but YOUR personal idea of what it should be - onto a captive audience in school.

As I've said again and again, your religious beliefs should be yours alone, and everyone ought to have the freedom to accept - or reject - various beliefs as they see fit.

I am adamantly against using compulsory education as a vehicle to drive home your - or anyone else's - religious belief.

You may have noticed, but I have a little, uhm, bias against fascism. That includes, I might add, theocratic fascism whereby the State (i.e. schools) set the standard for what a student should believe and what they should reject. That is their own personal business and not the business of the state.

It couldn't be any simpler than that.
You are assuming that they are trying to push a religious view or make all people believe one thing, just by having them all recite the same prayer. School is just one realm where people can get along with each other for a few hours out of the day. That's not intruding on your personal desire for people to go home and stay enemies with their neighbors, or whatever it is you are trying to promote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality