Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Can we agree teaching religion is, in your mind, part of parenting? So why is it the school’s responsibility to do your parenting?
Because the parents don't always do a good job of teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Because the parents don't always do a good job of teaching.
You still haven’t explained why it’s the school’s responsibility to supplement lazy parenting/religion.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
So lets just eliminate everything for the sake of the sole atheist in class. Wonderful idea.
Let's follow Madeleine Murray O'Hare. She was such a brilliant and inspiring person.
Sarcasm and hate figures (at least for Believers) will make no case for you.

Yes - these days especially where nations have schoolkids with different religious beliefs or none, either equal time is given to each religion (and atheism as non -religion now has the same rights, under law) or None of them get represented. Leave religion to the home.

And rather parents tell a teacher how to run their school than have a religious denomination do so.
Quote:
School should be a place where people learn that they are part of a larger society, and that they must learn to get along with others in order to be a productive member of society.
Ye

Quote:
God is the universal spirit which unites people together.
No. Or you can't claim that as a fact to base educational practice on. Rather that we are all humans and share a lot of very common human traits, instincts and customs, which can't all be put down to dissemination. We ought to look at what binds us, not divides us.

'God' divides the theists from the non -theists right away.

'Which God' divides it even more. No, Ozzy, using God to 'unite' people is only going to work when Islam overruns the world. Which looks more likely than Christianity doing so.

But then if you are happy to recite Sikh scriptures, I son't suppose you'll object to a global islamic society. including you and yours.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sarcasm and hate figures (at least for Believers) will make no case for you.

Yes - these days especially where nations have schoolkids with different religious beliefs or none, either equal time is given to each religion (and atheism as non -religion now has the same rights, under law) or None of them get represented. Leave religion to the home.

And rather parents tell a teacher how to run their school than have a religious denomination do so.
The religion is built into the parents in most cases.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I think religion is just a societal thing. There are plenty of foreign people who convert when they enter a new country.

The one who fights that, THEIR ego is what tells them to fight it, even when their spirit tells them not to. They are no better than the atheist fighting his own culture's unity.
The fact is that people who go to a different country do not care to send their kids to a school with the local religion, but will set up a Faith -school. So you are saying that is like an atheist fighting their own country? Their own views and beliefs count for nothing and they should just convert? Would you?

Quote:
The religion is built into the parents in most cases.

Yes. So what? Oh I know that, where One religion (and denomination) rules the community. They are all fine with the common religion being taught in school. Those who are different? They can go to hell.

But when some significant other parent groups want Their religion represented, let alone lack of it, they first protest, and then settle for NO religion being taught in school - which is what it should have been all along.

Now, I've heard reports (or claims at least) of atheist kids ganging up and insulting Christian kids. Thus the school out to at least deal with religious tolerance. They may even have to have all kinds flavors religion classes just to have mutual appreciation and no ganging up. a school Biryani party and even Islam would look ok.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-06-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You still haven’t explained why it’s the school’s responsibility to supplement lazy parenting/religion.
So what? You still haven't explained what you would put in the place of ant-theism.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
God is the universal spirit which unites people together.
Yet experience shows this cognitive dissonance does the opposite.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet experience shows this cognitive dissonance does the opposite.
Faith is responsible for every good thing that has every happened to anyone.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't the parents of the other religions be helping to explain what the prayer means, then? Shouldn't they be involved with the student's school life and know what is going on in school? Shouldn't those parents be helping their children in this regard, as far as understanding a strange and exotic sounding prayer.

Let's be honest, I doubt that any public school would try to reinstate the Lord's Prayer as an ecumenical prayer today, in today's growing multicultural climate. Even if they deemed it that way 50 years ago in the large cities.
what's wrong with a word or two of respect for the country that is accepting the (if it does) and offers them a life and home.

Why recite a prayer? Why not a simple '"God is Great"? Why not a ten minute 'Hari Krishna' chant? In fact you seem to be proposing what i mentioned - some element of understanding the religion (or none) of others, not expecting them to go along with one particular prayer...they should Convert to their new country religion, isn't that what you argued? I say let them be what they want and learn to appreciate the others. That's what a non -religious society aims for.

Quote:
Faith is responsible for every good thing that has every happened to anyone.
In my case, knowing that I was an atheist was the best thing that ever happened to me. Anyway, don't the Believers say that atheism is also based on Faith? Isn't everyday life? Faith that your car will start? Faith than your house will not fall down? 'Faith' does Everything, and therefore, nothing.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It doesn't matter if there is one atheist in the class. In today's society, it is almost a given that there will be people of various faiths (and perhaps no faith) in every classroom. When I was going through school, nearly every class had a few kids from Jewish families and a few from Eastern Orthodox families. Now, the US has people who moved here from India to work in hospitality, engineering and health care. Their children go to public schools. When I was working, I had a coworker from Vietnam and another from Malaysia. Are those children supposed to just go along with your idea? Are they supposed to sit silently and be ostracised by the other children?

Do you know anything about Madalyn Murray O'Hair? She was a mean and nasty person. She was a hateful boss to her employees and was such a bad parent that one of her sons didn't speak to her for several years prior to her death. She was offensive to everybody, with no concern to how she came across in her human interactions. She would show up for TV interviews chain smoking cigarettes and cursing so badly that they would have to cancel the interview. You need to find a better role model.
I'm pretty sure Ozzy was being sarcastic in his praise of O'Hair.

And that, really, is the answer to the question in the atheist forum about why people hate atheists.

Because of her. She was the banner carrier for atheism and put a really, really ugly face on the movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality