Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 AM

141 posts, read 58,778 times

Advertisements

WELL...I'm still a newbie at this place. I really was, originally, a "Casual Visitor".

At least, after this, I have my first original post under my belt...for better or worse, I'm at least not a TOTAL newbie here. *nods*

I chose this title to leave it reasonably wide open...and, I chose it because the "Why Christians hate Atheists" (or something like that) was where I first posted in this place.

I guess I'll open with this...If I may...
I've visited several threads and done some reading. I've seen some immense intelligence. Yes, for real. There are a few, what I would call, brilliant minds here.

Having said that, I've also noted one other thing...and I see it often. Arrogance, Pride, Conceit is rampant. I've seen rudeness, I've seen lambasting and abusing, I've seen something, at least, approaching hatred.

I've seen it from atheists and...I've seen it from those identifying themselves as Christians.

And, that will be my first pointed comment.

Christians...if you are truly a Christian...simply put--grow up and go back to Scripture. Your arrogance, pride, "holier than thou" attitude is an abomination.

Jesus did NOT teach this in the least. In fact, if you do study Scripture, you'll see He often came down on the religious leaders of His day--the Pharisees--more harshly than anyone else. He called them a brood of vipers, white washed tombs, the blind leading the blind...they were prideful, arrogant, conceited, know it alls...they worshiped---themselves.

I don't see dead people...but, I do see...modern day Pharisees.

Further, Paul was clear in Romans 12, for example..."do not think more highly of yourself than you ought..." Read and heed.

I am a Christian. Jesus is the Lord and Savior of my life. I am not perfect...I fall and fail...but my hope, my prayer, my heart's desire is to--on this topic--respect and love other's as I love myself. I may disagree with their life choices, I may disagree with their thinking...but, I'll still strive to honor and respect them.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop...I suffer from "run off" of the keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
WELL...I'm still a newbie at this place. I really was, originally, a "Casual Visitor".

At least, after this, I have my first original post under my belt...for better or worse, I'm at least not a TOTAL newbie here. *nods*

I chose this title to leave it reasonably wide open...and, I chose it because the "Why Christians hate Atheists" (or something like that) was where I first posted in this place.

I've visited several threads and done some reading. I've seen some immense intelligence. Yes, for real. There are a few, what I would call, brilliant minds here.

Having said that, I've also noted one other thing...and I see it often. Arrogance, Pride, Conceit is rampant. I've seen rudeness, I've seen lambasting and abusing, I've seen something, at least, approaching hatred.

I've seen it from atheists and...I've seen it from those identifying themselves as Christians.

Christians...if you are truly a Christian...simply put--grow up and go back to Scripture. Your arrogance, pride, "holier than thou" attitude is an abomination.

Jesus did NOT teach this in the least. In fact, if you do study Scripture, you'll see He often came down on the religious leaders of His day--the Pharisees--more harshly than anyone else. He called them a brood of vipers, white washed tombs, the blind leading the blind...they were prideful, arrogant, conceited, know it alls...they worshiped---themselves.

Further, Paul was clear in Romans 12, for example..."do not think more highly of yourself than you ought..." Read and heed.

I am a Christian. Jesus is the Lord and Savior of my life. I am not perfect...I fall and fail...but my hope, my prayer, my heart's desire is to--on this topic--respect and love other's as I love myself. I may disagree with their life choices, I may disagree with their thinking...but, I'll still strive to honor and respect them.

Might be better posting this in 'Christianity'. Not many Christians come here.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:

I hope you hang around.

You're very right. Jesus was love, and patience and forbearance. And joy. And forgiveness.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Christians vs. Atheists, what? (Just need clarification what the topic is.)

Old 03-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Christians vs. Atheists, what? (Just need clarification what the topic is.)
The attacks I see between the two crowds...as I alluded to in my post...that's the "main topic"
But, as I also said...the "Other Thingies" notation leaves it a bit more wide open. Or, so I intended.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,308,360 times
It's actually pretty tame around here lately but I noticed the same thing you did when I first started posting here. Now I just think of it as Christian conclusion v atheist conclusion. There are personal attacks all the time but mainly is what is being discussed is beliefs and beliefs don't have feelings.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
The attacks I see between the two crowds...as I alluded to in my post...that's the "main topic"
But, as I also said...the "Other Thingies" notation leaves it a bit more wide open. Or, so I intended.
I would change that to fundy theist vs fundy atheist. They have to resort to anything that diverts us away from the observations used to support a claim. if they didn't, they would be forced to look at the logic that renders the two views "less valid".

Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:

WELL..I'm still a newbie at this place. I really was, originally, a "Casual Visitor".

I don’t see dead people...but, I do see...modern day Pharisees.

But think about from this angle.

If Jesus can come down harshly on people and call them “brood of vipers” and “blind leading the blind”, then why can’t Christians tell the same to some Atheists because those Atheists act “prideful, arrogant, conceited, know it alls...”? (where is that blind viper TRANSPONDER? He thinks he is a know all.)

On a serious note though - I think you are slightly over reacting. I have seen very little of what you seem to have gotten bothered with. There are then Forum rules that deter personal attacks etc - and mods are doing a great job.

So chill and relax and post more often. It’s nice to have to thoughts and ideas to discuss.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But think about from this angle.

If Jesus can come down harshly on people and call them “brood of vipers” and “blind leading the blind”, then why can’t Christians tell the same to some Atheists because those Atheists act “prideful, arrogant, conceited, know it apls...”? (where is that blind viper TRANSPONDER?)

On a serious note though - I think you are slightly over reacting. I have seen very little of what you seem to have gotten bothered with. There are then Forum rules that deter personal attacks etc - and mods are doing a great job.

Being from Missouri----GO CARDINALS!!!!!

Ok, I catch your humor. But, as I think you know---that was not the way of Jesus. We bless those who persecute us. We pray for those that hate us...that's why I can not (or, really TRY to!) respond to other's in a disrespectful fashion.

As to "attacks" so to speak. I read some pretty old postings...so, you're probably correct. The newer postings are better. And, to clarify---I guess they didn't go as far as "personal attacks" that would violate posting rules but, man, some of the postings were rude and hateful.

ANYWAY, hello...

Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Ok. I don't see your posts as 'rambling' but covering a lot of points. Which is fine as it doesn't select one point to hammer away at. For my part your polite posting was a welcome change and I would like to respond by hoping that a discussion that does not suffer from what is all too common - people getting annoyed and starting to make personal remarks when their view point is seriously challenged, and of course taking it personally when it is argued that their case is not logically or evidentially sound.

Perhaps atheists do get too snarky. That ought not to matter in the case is sound, but too often it riles people. I do feel that those arguing for a more or less Theistic (or even what -is -called - "agnostic" (read "half -wanting to believe in a god") do take it personally and resort to accusations of rudeness when their beliefs get challenged.

If I may 'ramble' a bit about atheism. It is not believing the claim for a god of any kind (until there is valid reason to), and rejecting the claims of Christianity, the Bible and the Jesus depicted in the Bible - though I personally thing there was an actual Jesus, not too unlike the gospel Jesus.

While I do not believe for a moment that Jesus actually wrangled with the Pharisees in the way depicted in the gospels, I take the point that speaking harshly at times in order to make valid criticism has its' uses. It cuts both ways, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Might be better posting this in 'Christianity'. Not many Christians come here.
I suspect our new pal would get more from not talking to the chior but the godless bastards in the pub on a Sunday.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality