Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 10:14 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You'll have to ask someone who's died and gone to heaven. Or, alternately, wait till you die. If you find out, come back and let us know.
Sorry, you lost it all.
We are not talking about evidences and proofs.

We are talking faith and believe.

If you are an Atheist for example then I can tell you the exact same thing ... wait till you die, if you find out come, back and let us know that God does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I think everyone in heaven (all of the various and sundry ones) should keep worshiping god so as to not **** him off over some trifle, and slam everyone there like he did to Adam and Eve et al, and send you all to hell for all eternity, (as well as all of humanity to follow).
So there are two things incorrect in your analogy.

First, Adam was expelled from Heaven NOT because he refused to worship God.

Second, Adam was NOT sent to hell for eternity.

So both examples do not relate to answering the OP, even though you are not a believer; but thanks for trying anyway.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the notion of heaven isn't a little sad, because it seems to be the need to hope for something better over the life we have been given. Like our experience here on earth isn't good enough. We need better to look forward to...

Then again, I know too many people suffer miserable lives and no wonder they want better. Insist on better. Believing in heaven helps them with the trials and tribulations that life inevitably brings. Then too there is the notion of hell that typically goes "hand in hand" with the notion of heaven. Nobody wants that!

Also always seems we're better at knowing what gets one into hell over what gets one into heaven. I'm just glad I don't feel the need to contemplate any of this too seriously. I prefer to simply enjoy life to the fullest while I can in the best way I know how. Be the best person I can be and what will be will be (or not be).

Like now it's time to get on with preparing our customary BSB. Here's to the best Sunday you can have too!
I think perhaps it's the human psychology on a collective basis.

This is how we are built. The use of sticks and carrots is our way to function (with perhaps a few exceptional cases).
Some of understand the language of a stick, others go for carrots, and sometimes a mix of both makes us function better.
Imagine, if there were no traffic laws, no traffic tickets, no cops, and no auto insurance needed, what would be the situation on our roads?

Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
From what I know a little about Jewish doctrine, this gimme gimme gimme reward reward reward, sounds more like a mantra of Jewish worship, no?
No -- Jewish worship is more "praise praise praise" and "thank you thank you thank you". There is some aspect of prayer that, on weekdays and non-holidays "asks" for things (more often concepts than specific things) but Judaism teaches that we do what we do not in order to receive reward.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
What's the Jewish and Christian belief on this?

In the Islamic Heaven, no there is no more worship of God in heaven.

Once you are in - there is no more obligation of worshiping. You have done your part in this life, and that's enough.
Judaism teaches that in heaven, there is still constant praise and worship of God.

source one:

"In our daily prayers we refer to the songs of praise which the angels sing before G‑d. The angels have "shifts," singing at designated times of day or night. The type of praise they sing reflects the particular angel's spiritual status. The angels' singing is alluded to in the abovementioned story of Jacob's fight with the angel, at the end of which the angel pleaded with Jacob to free him "for the dawn has risen."13 According to the Midrash, the angel's rush was because his shift to sing before G‑d had arrived. Similarly, according to the Midrash, when Moses spent forty days studying with G‑d, he knew what time of day it was based on the changing shifts of the angels' singing."

source two:
"One group of angels, the Chayos Hakodesh, have six wings, and each day of the week they use a different one to sing praises to Hashem. The first time they reached Shabbos they asked Hashem for a seventh wing to use on that day to praise Him. “You don’t need a wing today,” answered Hashem. “There is a wing down on earth which sings for me today as it says (Yeshaya 24:16), ‘M’knaf ha’aretz zemiros shamanu – from the edge of the earth we have heard songs.’”

On Shabbos, Hashem tells the angels that He doesn’t need their songs and praises, as He has ours. Therefore, we add many more praises and songs on Shabbos, to fulfill our special job of being the 7th wing. Now we begin to understand the importance of Shabbos zemiros. When we sing, we are joining the myriads of holy angels in their sublime task of singing praises to Hashem! "

source three:

"There is a very special image portrayed in
Gemara Taanit 31a, in which Rabbi Eliezer
explains that at the end of days, there
will be a huge circle of Tzadikim dancing
around Hashem in Gan Eden and each
person will point to Hashem and cry out
“Here is my G-d”! Many explain that these
Tzadikim may not be the people we typically view as Tzadikkim – it may be the
simple and humble Yid, it may be the special-needs child, it may be our next-door
neighbor. And yet each person, no matter
what his background is, or what hashkafa he espouses, joins hands in praise of
Hashem."

Old 06-06-2021, 11:36 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Judaism teaches that in heaven, there is still constant praise and worship of God.

source one:

"In our daily prayers we refer to the songs of praise which the angels sing before G‑d. The angels have "shifts," singing at designated times of day or night. The type of praise they sing reflects the particular angel's spiritual status. The angels' singing is alluded to in the abovementioned story of Jacob's fight with the angel, at the end of which the angel pleaded with Jacob to free him "for the dawn has risen."13 According to the Midrash, the angel's rush was because his shift to sing before G‑d had arrived. Similarly, according to the Midrash, when Moses spent forty days studying with G‑d, he knew what time of day it was based on the changing shifts of the angels' singing."

source two:
"One group of angels, the Chayos Hakodesh, have six wings, and each day of the week they use a different one to sing praises to Hashem. The first time they reached Shabbos they asked Hashem for a seventh wing to use on that day to praise Him. “You don’t need a wing today,” answered Hashem. “There is a wing down on earth which sings for me today as it says (Yeshaya 24:16), ‘M’knaf ha’aretz zemiros shamanu – from the edge of the earth we have heard songs.’”

On Shabbos, Hashem tells the angels that He doesn’t need their songs and praises, as He has ours. Therefore, we add many more praises and songs on Shabbos, to fulfill our special job of being the 7th wing. Now we begin to understand the importance of Shabbos zemiros. When we sing, we are joining the myriads of holy angels in their sublime task of singing praises to Hashem! "

source three:

simple and humble Yid, it may be the special-needs child, it may be our next-door
Hashem."
What an awesome post.

We Christian's, we should take note that if we are to understand anything at all, we would have to put ourselves in the shoes of a Jew and what was in the mind of a Jew as we are reading scriptures, idioms and Jewish concepts that formed and said from what all Jews would have known.

I read the bible 40 hours a week most of my life and when I got about 45, I only then came to understand that I understood nothing, and that was because I could never put my feet in the shoes of a Jew to understand where he was coming from because of the sheer mountain of information I never read, and at 45, there arent enough years to catch up.

Those circling Hashem, it sounds like the end of the water ceremony where the congregation is circling the altar in great joy saying, Save now,."

Like it had come, and now they circle God in praise.

Those orders of singers, so awesome, sounds like the 3 divisions of priests in their 24 ranks officiating in 2 seasons.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post

source one:

source two:

source three:

Hashem."
Thanks for the answer.
What is Shaboos?

Also, the subsequent question is, not angels but if Humans in the Jewish heaven, choose not to pray, are there any consequences, OR they won't have a choice? They would be pre-programmed to pray/sing/worship in their shift?

Old 06-06-2021, 04:45 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,840 times
Quote:
Sorry, you lost it all.
We are not talking about evidences and proofs.

We are talking faith and believe.

If you are an Atheist for example then I can tell you the exact same thing ... wait till you die, if you find out come, back and let us know that God does not exist.
I'll take the fact that NOBODY, atheist or believer, has actually done so as conclusive proof that the entire sphere of god and religion, and heaven and hell and afterlife etc., is all what it appears to be to the rational observer - nonsense.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.
What is Shaboos?

Also, the subsequent question is, not angels but if Humans in the Jewish heaven, choose not to pray, are there any consequences, OR they won't have a choice? They would be pre-programmed to pray/sing/worship in their shift?
angels have no free will. This makes human prayer more powerful because we have a choice.

"Shabbos" is an accented way of referring to the Sabbath (or Shabbat).

Old 06-06-2021, 06:21 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
If you read the OP again, I stated that in the Islamic faith, there is no OBLIGATION to worship God anymore once you are in.

Now, if you want to worship God in heaven anyway, then no one is stopping you.

The concept and logic I am talking about is,

"If you choose to NOT worship God in heaven, then are NO consequences, NO side effects, and NO questioning".

The idea is, God is not going reduce the amount of his "pouring love" on you, or take you out of heaven and chuck you in hell because you did not worship him.
This act of obligatory worship is limited to this life only.

Also, if you decide to worship God in heaven anyway, then there are no extra benefits either.

I guess, you can try again to answer the OP.
Do you believe that there is OBLIGATORY worship of God in the Christian heaven that already has no sex?
Well then, that's a different question from the thread title. God has promised me eternal life, and sworn by Himself as He can swear by none higher, so I cannot be sent to hell for any reason, now or ever. He paid a great price for me. I am a slave of God. He created and saved me to worship, love, and serve Him forever. He is going to get what He paid for. No one can thwart the will of God. I am not my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality