Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Since you have to be here, it would probably be easier if you explain to any new posters exactly what you'd like to see posted because otherwise they may not understand or think it's okay, initially, to bash religions/religious and will therefore go off discussing who knows what religious concept/thoughts.
I can be very clear with what I personally think is a waste of time here. In "Gone With The Wind", there's a sign at Wilkes' plantation that says, "Do not squander time. That is the stuff life is made of." That's very much the way I feel about "unique" "I have found the answer" religions. Over a few thousand years there have been countless unique religious movements. Even as a retired person, I don't have the time to consider those countless ideas. Show me an idea that has a significant following, and I might bite. Even though I'm from Palmyra, NY, I'm not a Mormon. But there are 14.8 millions Mormons. I'll at least listen. Scientology...nope...doesn't hit the threshold for me...they only convinced 25,000 people in a world of 7.5 billion people...must not be much there.

Of course, people have a right to post their ideas. But for me, I lean toward things that are in the ballpark of "quite a few people believe in _____________" before I'll bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can be very clear with what I personally think is a waste of time here. In "Gone With The Wind", there's a sign at Wilkes' plantation that says, "Do not squander time. That is the stuff life is made of." That's very much the way I feel about "unique" "I have found the answer" religions. Over a few thousand years there have been countless unique religious movements. Even as a retired person, I don't have the time to consider those countless ideas. Show me an idea that has a significant following, and I might bite. Even though I'm from Palmyra, NY, I'm not a Mormon. But there are 14.8 millions Mormons. I'll at least listen. Scientology...nope...doesn't hit the threshold for me...they only convinced 25,000 people in a world of 7.5 billion people...must not be much there.

Of course, people have a right to post their ideas. But for me, I lean toward things that are in the ballpark of "quite a few people believe in _____________" before I'll bite.
Isn't that the way you feel about every religion? And why do you think posters keep pestering you with religious concepts after you've made it known your an atheist?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Isn't that the way you feel about every religion? And why do you think posters keep pestering you with religious concepts after you've made it known your an atheist?
No, that isn't way I feel about most religions. If a religion has a substantial number of followers, I'll consider what they have to say...at least briefly and sometimes even more. The religions at the far ends of the continuum...no, not really very interested.

If you think that atheism equates to closed mind, you're wrong.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Ten Commandments are not the complete Torah...
Yes , true but the most important part of the Torah are the Ten Commandments......

Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh Yeah, I saw that movie. He came down from the mountain carrying the fifteen commandments and dropped one of three tablets each containing five of them.
I did not catch that movie version the one I saw was Moses throwing the Ten Commandments down on the nation of Israel who were having this huge orgy party while Moses was away on the mountain top.

Another truth that you will never see depicted about Moses is that his first wife was a sub Saharan Black African.....

Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyI View Post
Life = truth. If you want to know the truth, figure out life. That knowledge does not come from any human source whether that's religion, written books, philosophy, etc. or promotes anything similar to what I have discovered, which is that the human body contains ins To me, there is no such thing as whose truth, for that is only opinions and opinions are personal beliefs that are not in alignment with truth, hence, why there are so many philosophies. Currently, I know of no one who teaches tructions on how to live life, resolve mortality, become immortal, and solve every problem on earth. It's the manual, as it were. No human can take credit for that except for whoever designed and created life and the body.
Sounds like you haven't lived long enough to really know what truth is, truth can be many things and each individual has many different interpretations of what is true. You see it's what makes us, human beings, very unique in this world we have the capacity to think for ourselves and to make our own decisions as to what is truth. Young'n you need to live a lot longer to be able to decide for yourself what is truth and you may find what you perceive as truth may be something entirely different than what you're expecting.Osiyo

Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM

34 posts, read 13,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Sounds like you haven't lived long enough to really know what truth is, truth can be many things and each individual has many different interpretations of what is true. You see it's what makes us, human beings, very unique in this world we have the capacity to think for ourselves and to make our own decisions as to what is truth. Young'n you need to live a lot longer to be able to decide for yourself what is truth and you may find what you perceive as truth may be something entirely different than what you're expecting.Osiyo
Daddy, that is called Luciferian Satanism, what you describe. What I speak of is based on the truth that sets all free, the meaning of life, the holy grail, whatever you want to call it. That is different than the truth that is 'what happens'.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyI View Post
Daddy, that is called Luciferian Satanism, what you describe. What I speak of is based on the truth that sets all free, the meaning of life, the holy grail, whatever you want to call it. That is different than the truth that is 'what happens'.
this gets real interesting, now how would you know what I'm speaking about? You must be some kind of psychic to be able to do such a thing when in truth you're just speculating and this Luciferian Satanism, sounds like something that you made up to justify your agenda about what you seem to think is the truth. You can use all the fancy words that you wish but it's still ignorance on your part.I knew from the get-go that this particular conversation with this particular individual was going to go nowhere but in circles and that's a real shame, he needs to open his mind and learn the real truth of things, unfortunately this may never happen. Osiyo

Old 05-09-2019, 05:21 AM

34 posts, read 13,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
this gets real interesting, now how would you know what I'm speaking about? You must be some kind of psychic to be able to do such a thing when in truth you're just speculating and this Luciferian Satanism, sounds like something that you made up to justify your agenda about what you seem to think is the truth. You can use all the fancy words that you wish but it's still ignorance on your part.I knew from the get-go that this particular conversation with this particular individual was going to go nowhere but in circles and that's a real shame, he needs to open his mind and learn the real truth of things, unfortunately this may never happen. Osiyo
That's kind of what happens when you're condescending, talk down to people and having to insult them.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:30 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
One thing I am certain about is that referring to someone's beliefs as "Luciferian Satanism" is highly insulting. People have received infractions for saying things similar to that. I would suggest that anyone considering using such a phrase take a moment to read the posting rules for this forum. As moderators, our assumption is that your DID read the rules before you started posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality