Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Its interesting to me, that even the closest people to Jesus, when he was alive, (the apostles and disciples), they required proof from Jesus numerous times, and it was still tough for them to fully believe...but people today, 2000+ yrs later, are just expected to blindly believe on faith alone? Why was faith not enough for the apostles/ disciples?

Had Jesus not done anything supernatural for them, and told them to 'just believe', would christianity have stood the test of time and grow like it did? I wonder sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I see evidence for a creator. If you don’t, that’s your business. Faith is not blind.
It can be dumb.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Given that God is reportedly unknowable, works in mysterious ways, passes all human understanding, etc, etc... it never ceases to amaze me how many are able to tell us EXACTLY what God intends, what God wants, what God thinks, what God's point was, what God came to do, what God didn't come to do, what God teaches, what God refuses to do, what God chooses to do, what God says, and on and on.

It's almost as if we were putting thoughts in Her head and words in Her mouth...
Jesus said this message isn't for everyone. Let those who have ears to hear, hear.

You can believe He didn't say that, but you can't really believe it was me who came up with that idea independently.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its interesting to me, that even the closest people to Jesus, when he was alive, (the apostles and disciples), they required proof from Jesus numerous times, and it was still tough for them to fully believe...but people today, 2000+ yrs later, are just expected to blindly believe on faith alone? Why was faith not enough for the apostles/ disciples?

Had Jesus not done anything supernatural for them, and told them to 'just believe', would christianity have stood the test of time and grow like it did? I wonder sometimes.
I don't think you're expected to just blindly believe. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I see evidence for a creator. If you don’t, that’s your business. Faith is not blind.
It's blind in not seeing the difference between Evidence and Good Evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't think you're expected to just blindly believe. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
But that is Blind belief. It is even worse - it is indoctrinated belief. The experience is no doubt real, but other who have the same experience may see other gods.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Is there anything that one could not profess to believe in through faith?
I'm kind of struggling with your question, so maybe I'm not answering it correctly.

You can go on absolutely blind faith, which is kind of silly, or you can go by faith of experience.

If I need a piece of equipment here tomorrow from Houston to do a job, and I haven't yet found anyone to transport it, I could call the customer and say, blindly, "I have faith the machine will be here tomorrow". Just taking a flyer.

OR

If I have found the transporter, and know him to be a very good and reliable driver, and he's agreed to take the job, I could then call the customer with reason behind my faith, and say "I have faith the machine will be here tomorrow".

Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Jesus was God`s promise of the rejection of the scribes ..... Only time Jesus wrote was on the temple floor as the women caught in adultery , which is assumed that Jesus wrote the commandment of adultery by the hand of God which Moses got years before ............ See God promised to put the Word of God on the heart of the believer ... Where then the disciples must of took record of the Word and miracles of Jesus Christ, where the Holy Book was wrote

Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Jesus said this message isn't for everyone. Let those who have ears to hear, hear.

You can believe He didn't say that, but you can't really believe it was me who came up with that idea independently.
He also said (according to the NT) "At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children."

You may stare at me in puzzlement and say.."Well, that's just what I was saying.."

To which I say. Those with ears may hear, but first they need to Listen, then to understand. The Bible praises faith, but doesn't seem to praise rational thought very much.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:23 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
But it is sometimes ill informed.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Given that God is reportedly unknowable, works in mysterious ways, passes all human understanding, etc, etc... it never ceases to amaze me how many are able to tell us EXACTLY what God intends, what God wants, what God thinks, what God's point was, what God came to do, what God didn't come to do, what God teaches, what God refuses to do, what God chooses to do, what God says, and on and on.
And the "so called" Christians can't even come to an agreement on that stuff.

It's always amazed me that you can break down Christians into two basic groups.

1) The "blood atonement" Christians

2) The "beatitude" Christians.

And they don't get along together too well because the two philosophical approaches conflict in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality