Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,521,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Where there is increased concern about immigration, there is a move to the Political Right, together with flag -waving, sabre -rattling and isolationism. And Christianity is right in there, terrified both of secularism and Islam. Indeed the problems stem right back to religion (1).

Is society getting better? I see a lot that's better. I see a lot that could be improved. But I can think back to the supposed 'Good Old Days when it all seemed to be better. But I can assure you it wasn't. I'd say that with more secularism has come a world that is potentially better, and I can't see that religion can take any credit for it, nor secularism justifiably blamed for the bad.

(1) Ok, desert storm was about Oil, not religion, but Al Quaida was a religious movement though the idiotic original motive was replaced by Good old anti - Israel and American support for it.
yeah, claiming that we are ok with letting people in through a process and not just letting people in without a process is so "saber rattling. its flat out nazi-like

stopping one immigrant, or a sagmificant percentage, from entering is so "racists". yeah, use racism as the reason when the facts don't support letting them all in when they want. you are so afraid of "the right" that you dismiss all commonsense about immigration. first of all, your not even from here, most Americans say let them in. But unlike your side, from outside, we don't say let them in at all cost.

America supported al-quadia like you support "deny everything so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell."

just like you say "whats it matter, they can be used to reach our goal? AND ... lessen that religions power in that region?" you whole post is based off of "anti-religion/god". its not based on common sense. commonsense says you don't just let anybody in. and commonsense says people will suffer.

but I like how you mixed in emotion to make your sense of anti-religion win the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, claiming that we are ok with letting people in through a process and not just letting people in without a process is so "saber rattling. its flat out nazi-like

stopping one immigrant, or a sagmificant percentage, from entering is so "racists". yeah, use racism as the reason when the facts don't support letting them all in when they want. you are so afraid of "the right" that you dismiss all commonsense about immigration. first of all, your not even from here, most Americans say let them in. But unlike your side, from outside, we don't say let them in at all cost.

America supported al-quadia like you support "deny everything so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell."

just like you say "whats it matter, they can be used to reach our goal? AND ... lessen that religions power in that region?" you whole post is based off of "anti-religion/god". its not based on common sense. commonsense says you don't just let anybody in. and commonsense says people will suffer.

but I like how you mixed in emotion to make your sense of anti-religion win the day.
I really think he's lost it folks!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
ad hominem is not proof or disproof of a claim.

the claim is.

using a fear of "theism" as reason to shy away from serous immigration laws is less valid than addressing the laws based on who is going to pay for the people.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,136,360 times
Quote:
People not only need to live, they need something to make life worth living. For some it's religion. For others, sex, drugs and rock. For yet others, it's antique human junk.
I agree.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
There's nothing bad with love thy neighbor. It is a good thing, but, when religion is used to twist and justify bad behavior, it's deplorable. For instance. A Facebook friend didn't like being challenged over build the wall. I'm an atheist, she's Catholic. I asked her how she was going to justify the hate when she stands in front of her God and has to explain why she wouldn't help hungry people. Her logic was that God gives me a choice on who I want to help or not. So does it say in the bible that it's okay to turn away someone in need because I give you the choice to do so regardless of the fact that they're hungry, tired, cold and traumatized. It's okay to hate because their skin color is different and they're trying to survive and help their children survive? Really?

I told her that I wasn't a Christian but I believed in feeding someone who was hungry, and giving them a warm place if they're cold, but she couldn't see past the hate.

If you look at organized religion, they all have an agenda. Radical Islam wants Sharia law everywhere and they are willing to kill and torture to achieve. Catholics want religious over reach into every woman's life to force an ideology that no abortion should ever be performed. How is any of this fanaticism helpful to society?

Old 04-19-2019, 01:07 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Never, in the field of human conflab, was so much said by so few that was of so little value.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
There's nothing bad with love thy neighbor. It is a good thing, but, when religion is used to twist and justify bad behavior, it's deplorable. For instance. A Facebook friend didn't like being challenged over build the wall. I'm an atheist, she's Catholic. I asked her how she was going to justify the hate when she stands in front of her God and has to explain why she wouldn't help hungry people. Her logic was that God gives me a choice on who I want to help or not. So does it say in the bible that it's okay to turn away someone in need because I give you the choice to do so regardless of the fact that they're hungry, tired, cold and traumatized. It's okay to hate because their skin color is different and they're trying to survive and help their children survive? Really?

I told her that I wasn't a Christian but I believed in feeding someone who was hungry, and giving them a warm place if they're cold, but she couldn't see past the hate.

If you look at organized religion, they all have an agenda. Radical Islam wants Sharia law everywhere and they are willing to kill and torture to achieve. Catholics want religious over reach into every woman's life to force an ideology that no abortion should ever be performed. How is any of this fanaticism helpful to society?

I completely agree. religion can be fine. It motivates. It often motivates when human inclination isn't enough. BUT

But it has to be ameliorated by human morality or it can go badly astray.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:28 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,591,198 times
Why is religion often seen as something negative?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Never, in the field of human conflab, was so much said by so few that was of so little value.
says stalin to mao.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why is religion often seen as something negative?
things that religious people do, make religion look bad.

that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality