Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
That's not true at all. I know her personally. She didn't just "recover" after chemotherapy.
Strange, her doctor disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
If you read her book you would know that.
Well, if she says otherwise in her book, then it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Exactly how is it improving? We have a prison population that is overflowing.
So nothing new then.

Quote:
A drug crisis because people have no hope without Christ.
So all those Christians who take drugs and drink too much do not believe in Jesus?

Quote:
A suicide epidemic.
If there is a suicide epidemic, is there any wonder? Your health care is a mess, and the fact that many US citizens need to work very hard just to pay the bills is a social problem. Many Christians have the same problem.

Quote:
Plus other social ills like sex trafficking.
Nothing new there.

Quote:
People are so isolated in their own cellphone social media bubble. Gone are the days when neighbors would sit on the back porch together in the evening. We've created a culture that is too busy.
Yes, just ignore the many advantages and focus on something that is not even a problem. You are simply arguing people are communicating in a different way. What about it? Now they can exchange more interesting information than Billy Bob Jr Jr Jr the 3rd is going to the dentists next Tuesday.

Quote:
A few generations ago, communities were tight knit. And if a neighbor got sick, you went and helped out with their farm. It was the good Christian way of life. Look at the Amish. They adopt a similar lifestyle and seem to be some of the happiest stress free people in America.
Until you can not live an Amish life, then it is not such a happy life. And if such a life style impresses you, why are you here on the internet?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Ever met a happy fundie? I haven't. Their world is bleak, grey and always raining. They are the most miserable, dour, buzz-killing force in the universe.

Thank goodness they're on a fast track to extinction.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Exactly how is it improving? We have a prison population that is overflowing.
Throwing more people in prison, for longer terms, does not mean things aren't improving. Many things are improving, and will continue to, regardless of how bad you fundies want to take us back to the "good ole times". Not to mention, it is the Christian conservatives who back these laws that put more people into prison, so maybe look to your side for a solution, since you are the ones causing it. (Example- Marijuana and prostitution laws)

Quote:
A drug crisis because people have no hope without Christ. A suicide epidemic.
"Believe in Jesus, because he is a powerful placebo for some people".

There, fixed it for you. It couldn't possibly be because of anything other than being atheists, huh, Jeff?

Quote:
Plus other social ills like sex trafficking.
Which have always been around. Why are you acting like this is new???

Quote:
People are so isolated in their own cellphone social media bubble. Gone are the days when neighbors would sit on the back porch together in the evening. We've created a culture that is too busy.
I won't disagree here. However, there are many that still do those things. My neighborhood for instance, has a big get together at least once a month, more during the summer. We also have many people who sit outside and talk to the neighbors and hang out at the community pool area and grill for themselves and others. Some people don't, that is for sure, but this has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof.

Quote:
A few generations ago, communities were tight knit. And if a neighbor got sick, you went and helped out with their farm. It was the good Christian way of life. Look at the Amish. They adopt a similar lifestyle and seem to be some of the happiest stress free people in America.
Oh yea? You mean the good Christian way of life that enslaved black people, then segregated them? The same way of life that allowed gay people to be lynched and treated as second class citizens? The way of life that wants women to do nothing but clean the house, take care of the kids, and cook for her husband??

Yea, sorry Jeffery, but most people would prefer not to go back to those times, no matter how many of you would like to.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Exactly how is it improving? We have a prison population that is overflowing. A drug crisis because people have no hope without Christ. A suicide epidemic. Plus other social ills like sex trafficking. People are so isolated in their own cellphone social media bubble. Gone are the days when neighbors would sit on the back porch together in the evening. We've created a culture that is too busy.

What does any of this have to do with prayer or Christianity?

You have not shown any cause:effect relationship between your cherry picked problems and religion of any sort.

We could debate how things are different now than they were at some point in the past, but it is easy to see many different influences there are on human behavior aside from religion.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Exactly how is it improving? We have a prison population that is overflowing. A drug crisis because people have no hope without Christ. A suicide epidemic. Plus other social ills like sex trafficking. People are so isolated in their own cellphone social media bubble. Gone are the days when neighbors would sit on the back porch together in the evening. We've created a culture that is too busy.

I know what you mean. And you probably won't agree with me about some of the things I see as 'improvements', such as attitudes towards sex, more that enables people to relate to other kinds of people with appreciation rather than distrust, communicate ideas and learn and do more than before. The problem as I see it is that people don't appreciate what's there for them. I probably won't need to remind you that the majority of people in jail are Christians, and, if there is a drug problem, I can't agree with you that it is because of a lack of Jesus. Nor can i share your admiration of medieval farm -life. Nor of sitting and swapping inane gossip on the back porch.
No, I see a lot of potential improvements, but we don't know how to make the best use of it. I see the problem as a common lack of understanding through missing pieces in education, but of course, you will see it as not enough Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What does any of this have to do with prayer or Christianity?

You have not shown any cause:effect relationship between your cherry picked problems and religion of any sort.

We could debate how things are different now than they were at some point in the past, but it is easy to see many different influences there are on human behavior aside from religion.
Ah, well, we got derailed when Jeff railed at us for mocking and decrying Christianity and suggested that this sort of secularist behavior is what is ruining the world. When I look at it, the immediate problems that I see seem to have been religious differences as well as what one might call a 'conservative' mentality (let the Elite be rich and the rest be kept poor - a desperate population is one that can be sold religion to give them spurious hope) and when I expressed that view, Jedd contested it and here we are in a good ol' fashioned derail.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-27-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 12:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So nothing new then.

So all those Christians who take drugs and drink too much do not believe in Jesus?

If there is a suicide epidemic, is there any wonder? Your health care is a mess, and the fact that many US citizens need to work very hard just to pay the bills is a social problem. Many Christians have the same problem.

Nothing new there.

Yes, just ignore the many advantages and focus on something that is not even a problem. You are simply arguing people are communicating in a different way. What about it? Now they can exchange more interesting information than Billy Bob Jr Jr Jr the 3rd is going to the dentists next Tuesday.

Until you can not live an Amish life, then it is not such a happy life. And if such a life style impresses you, why are you here on the internet?
Jeff, like many of my fellow Americans doesn't understand that there are many people in other countries living much better lives because the policies, laws and culture are more conducive to happiness. Norway, Finland, Denmark and other countries score much better on happiness studies and have large amounts of their population atheist or agnostic. These idiotic Christian preachers over here stress that stupid concept that you need Jesus to be happy and content. Heck, the american south is filled with so called Jesus lovers and it has some of the worst places to live.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Jeff, like many of my fellow Americans doesn't understand that there are many people in other countries living much better lives because the policies, laws and culture are more conducive to happiness. Norway, Finland, Denmark and other countries score much better on happiness studies and have large amounts of their population atheist or agnostic. These idiotic Christian preachers over here stress that stupid concept that you need Jesus to be happy and content. Heck, the american south is filled with so called Jesus lovers and it has some of the worst places to live.

Which once again proves that God and Jesus have nothing to do with the situation. If people are in dire poverty down in the South it's probably BECAUSE OF Jesus, not for a lack of him. The Scandinavians have proved you can have a great society free of drugs, crime, poverty and social upheaval and you don't need Jesus to accomplish it. But religious politics are too entrenched in this country which is why until society breaks the choke-hold fundamentalism has on us the most poor crime-ridden parts of the country will always be the most fundamentalism-driven ones.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:50 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Jesus never promised us happiness, in this life. He promised to bear our burdens.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus never promised us happiness, in this life. He promised to bear our burdens.
Empty tripe. Must explain all those Christians who commit suicide. I could go on with the stupidity of your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality