Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 11:00 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,104,228 times

Advertisements

According to the chart on the original post, it looks mainly like the “nones” are growing at the expense of mainline Protestants. I’m not sure that is much of a “win” for atheists and agnostics. Mainline Protestants aren’t all that religious to begin with. They also tend to have more liberal political views and also dislike fundamentalists.

A real win would be “nones” growing at the expense of fundamentalists. That doesn’t appear to be happening.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's good you posted this on the R/S forum...it shows how open-minded you are... and that statement would have probably go unnoticed on the Athiest forum. And why shouldn't you judge the whole by whatever circles you've encountered? It certainly helps to save time and allows one to get back to whatever it is they are promoting.
I thought...if it's good enough for Jeff, it's good enough for me. Or don't you think so? I noticed that you didn't say anything similar to Jeff when he stated that he'd never met a friendly atheist, yet you feel the need to stick your oar in with me. Why is that?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,300,613 times
Quote:
I brought up communism because it seems it is the only way some people will ever be happy, otherwise they will always be the victim of other's choices.
Even after that mark, me down as someone who still doesn't get the reference to communism in this thread.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,595,620 times
Quote:
It's good you posted this on the R/S forum...it shows how open-minded you are... and that statement would have probably go unnoticed on the Athiest forum. And why shouldn't you judge the whole by whatever circles you've encountered? It certainly helps to save time and allows one to get back to whatever it is they are promoting.
Someone didn't get Raf's post.... You know it was in response to Jeff saying he had never met a friendly atheist, right? You seem like a very sad person... Every post is the same nonsense, over and over again... Kind of like the GldnRain guy, who posts the same few sentences in every thread he participates in. Sad and kind of pathetic...

So guys, what is the over/under on how many friendly atheists that Jeff has met, that he doesn't even know are atheists?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Someone didn't get Raf's post.... You know it was in response to Jeff saying he had never met a friendly atheist, right? You seem like a very sad person... Every post is the same nonsense, over and over again... Kind of like the GldnRain guy, who posts the same few sentences in every thread he participates in. Sad and kind of pathetic...

So guys, what is the over/under on how many friendly atheists that Jeff has met, that he doesn't even know are atheists?
I may seem like a sad person but you really are, with nothing else to do but nit-pick until you die.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I may seem like a sad person but you really are, with nothing else to do but nit-pick until you die.
Says the person who only posts about other people posting to Jeff, and has yet to contribute anything to any thread I have ever seen you participate in? Yea, okay then gabs.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Says the person who only posts about other people posting to Jeff, and has yet to contribute anything to any thread I have ever seen you participate in? Yea, okay then gabs.
And what is your contribution besides trying to maintain your status-quo worldview?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,573,603 times
Quote:
Recognizing sarcasm may be a learned trait you should study a bit.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
And what is your contribution besides trying to maintain your status-quo worldview?
My "status-quo" worldview? I think you have me mistaken for someone else. It isn't atheists that want to maintain the status-quo....

I make actual contributions to threads every day I post. I don't just snark at others and act like I'm better than them, such as you do.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I fully agree with your post but I can't rep it.
I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the opposite. Tyson sounds very spiritual to me.
Certainly inspired by his subject. Speaks very well and with force. Ozzy of course sorts this into confident warrior for Truth or arrogant atheistic scientist, according to his bias - filter.

Double standards, like reversed logic and projection simply goes with the territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpz8PMcRJSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was perfect. That connection, that one-ness with the universe, that to me is exactly what God is. Religions personify that connection and then add human characteristics to it.

I know what he means about looking at the stars and knowing we are part of one another.
I like that I certainly start from the scientific fact point of view and can get to a very 'spiritual' sense of wonder about it, as with atomic physics and the nano -end of biology. And perhaps you start from the Theistic end and shed some of the 'anthropomorphism' (that was something I shed in my teens when I concluded that an Einstein - Spinoza creator without a relation to any one religion could hardly have a beard and balls, and so to refer to it as 'He' was absurd) and we can very well be in the same ballpark at closest.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-15-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.