Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 01:14 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm not falsely accusing you; I quoted you.

Yes, that verse is approving slavery. Slaves are being instructed to submit to their masters no matter how they are treated. Where are the masters being instructed to stop owning slaves?
You know what,I'm done with you. You refuse to answer my question and just ping pong back to the same tired arguments. You did not quote me directly saying I approve of slavery. But your kind will never apologize and never admit to be wrong. EVER. Consider this my last post to you. FOREVER.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You know what,I'm done with you. You refuse to answer my question and just ping pong back to the same tired arguments. You did not quote me directly saying I approve of slavery. But your kind will never apologize and never admit to be wrong. EVER. Consider this my last post to you. FOREVER.
So you even admit it, that you were not accused of approving slavery, even though you tried to justify
it as far as the bible is concerned.
So, what's your beef?
Isn't this what' called a "flounce"? Like when you have no adequate reply so you just throw it off?

Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
I’m merely seeking the truth also jeffbase. Can you please answer the question?

Does Ephesians 6:5 approv or condemn slavory?

Ephesians 6:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
Quote:
You are only here to mock Christians. I know your game.
Come on jeffbase, man up and answer the question.

Does Ephesians 6:5 approve or condemn slavory?

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:39 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
" Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - 1 Peter 2:18-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm not falsely accusing you; I quoted you.

Yes, that verse is approving slavery. Slaves are being instructed to submit to their masters no matter how they are treated. Where are the masters being instructed to stop owning slaves?

Quote:
Jeff, if you do that, it will be utterly obvious that what you quoted in hopes to show that God (because it's all divine approved scripture) was merely having to put up with sinful humans, is just showing that Biblegod has no problem with slavery, not just in the OT but in the New.

Grabbing your hat and stalking out may look to you like avoiding having to admit that the Bible endorses slavery, but it will look to everyone else like what we in the trade call a 'Flounce'.

If you don't know what that is, Raffs will tell you if you ask him nicely.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Hey jeffbase, Do you think you would have been a slave or an owner if you existed back in those days?

Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
" Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - 1 Peter 2:18-25

Jeff, if you do that, it will be utterly obvious that what you quoted in hopes to show that God (because it's all divine approved scripture) was merely having to put up with sinful humans, is just showing that Biblegod has no problem with slavery, not just in the OT but in the New.
Again, I've put in way too much time and effort laying out strong arguments to combat this lie, but it's obvious that your side will never give up this position because it's a cheap easy scapegoat. If you can't even get past the fallacy of assuming our modern day culture is EXACTLY the same as an ancient one then its time to move on. You keep saying that the Bible has no problem with slavery when I showed several verses where it condemns it. But no, you cling to your one or two verses out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Grabbing your hat and stalking out may look to you like avoiding having to admit that the Bible endorses slavery, but it will look to everyone else like what we in the trade call a 'Flounce'.

If you don't know what that is, Raffs will tell you if you ask him nicely.
Really, you're going to go there? It's no different than the lie that your side ran me off when the reality is I don't even have time or energy to response to even just your replies since you find it necessary to argue against just about every sentence I post. Just once, I would like to ask a question and put your side on the spot instead of being on the defense constantly and she has repeatedly ignored my questions while lying that I support slavery. My tolerance for that has been drained. It has nothing to do with avoiding tough questions.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Come on jeffbase, man up and answer the question.

Does Ephesians 6:5 approve or condemn slavory?

I already explained it. It is only given instructions on how to make the best of your current situation.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So you even admit it, that you were not accused of approving slavery, even though you tried to justify
it as far as the bible is concerned.
So, what's your beef?
Isn't this what' called a "flounce"? Like when you have no adequate reply so you just throw it off?
And you haven't explained to me how freeing slaves so they can starve and die and cause the entire society to collapse is the right moral thing to do.

Answer my question first. Please tell me how you would eliminate slavery immediately and successfully while preserving free will. Also please share with proof how immediately changing a social economic structure perfectly and always integrates with every other nation using the former structure.

I await your detailed response.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Again, I've put in way too much time and effort laying out strong arguments to combat this lie, but it's obvious that your side will never give up this position because it's a cheap easy scapegoat. If you can't even get past the fallacy of assuming our modern day culture is EXACTLY the same as an ancient one then its time to move on. You keep saying that the Bible has no problem with slavery when I showed several verses where it condemns it. But no, you cling to your one or two verses out of context.
As I recall we showed the parts you missed out (like a Hebrew enslaving a Hebrew for life - you stopped at 'I love my master') and showing that a foreign slave was Never let go, and indeed here that the epistle in No way condemns slavery or even shakes its' head over what can't be changed -yet. It tells the slaves to put up with it and not a word of condemnation.

Quote:
Really, you're going to go there? It's no different than the lie that your side ran me off when the reality is I don't even have time or energy to response to even just your replies since you find it necessary to argue against just about every sentence I post. Just once, I would like to ask a question and put your side on the spot instead of being on the defense constantly and she has repeatedly ignored my questions while lying that I support slavery. My tolerance for that has been drained. It has nothing to do with avoiding tough questions.
No Jeff, and I hope you'll change your mind about going there. Flounce off or stay and battle it out, it's up to you. I'm just saying that it won't be a win for you.
Well, maybe you'll save your face, but at the expense of the religion you purport to be defending. But for quite a few Christian apologists, that seems to be their order of priorities.

Quote:
And you haven't explained to me how freeing slaves so they can starve and die and cause the entire society to collapse is the right moral thing to do.

Answer my question first. Please tell me how you would eliminate slavery immediately and successfully while preserving free will. Also please share with proof how immediately changing a social economic structure perfectly and always integrates with every other nation using the former structure.

I await your detailed response.
Well, how about the way God dealt with Pharaoh -but in reverse; Unharden the hearts of the slaveowners, just as he dealt with Paul and turned him. No problem with free will there. God could have done that any time he wanted.

If he existed, that is. Otherwise we'd just have to wait for Humans to work it out for themselves.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-04-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 02:35 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times
Quote:
I’m merely seeking the truth also jeffbase. Can you please answer the question?

Does Ephesians 6:5 approv or condemn slavory?

Quote:
You are only here to mock Christians. I know your game.
This is why no one takes you seriously, Jeff. What mocking is being done? Why do you have to play the victim here, when you were asked a legitimate question, yet you had to, once again, deflect.

That is not honest debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality