Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 03:55 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You atheists think it's just WONDERFUL the idea of atheism taking over, and the world will be a much better place right? In reality it's more the scene in The Shining where Jack Nicholson is sitting on the bed with his son and tells him, "I would never do anything to hurt you Danny", while Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is playing in the background.

Unfortunately I'm not kidding. I wish I was. That's exactly what this deluded idea is like.
What did I just read?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The world needs empathy and love. That's how you built a better world.
As luck would have it, empathy and love do not require one iota of religion.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,595,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What did I just read?
A tin foil hat wearing Christian conspiracy theorist, who thinks atheists and smart people are the devil.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,301,683 times
Quote:
Something else is increasing too.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-s...ce-2000-2018-6

Yea yea, I already know you'll find some way to deny cold hard facts from the CDC.
There is zero mention of decrease religion being a part of the increase in suicides. Not a single mention. The hard cold facts is you are blaming us for only reading the articles and not accepting your conclusion as the major cause of suicides. Come up with one credible report that actually blames atheism for suicides. You can link all the articles you want but until they start mentioning atheists as a cause for the increase all you are doing is bring attention over and over to the one problem and never get closer to evidence for what you claim. I doubt a single person is questioning that suicide rates are increasing in the States. The links you have posted already have oroven that. It is not a good thing to be happening. We can all agree that it is increasing and that is not good.

But then you put in a claim that has no mention in the articles and blame us for not accepting your evidence. Give evidence, what you are really telling us is that you believe atheism is bad and that we should accept whatever you say even though you provided no evidence for your claim.

Also I personally think that constantly claiming to others that life can have no meaning as is worthless and you cannot even love without being a Christian ax you define it, is not helpful in combating suicides.

If you are truly concerned about suicides and in preventing it, volunteer to help but most of all read what the articles actually claim and addressing those problems. It appears that you oppose atheism and look for subjects to attack them with.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,595,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Does anyone have a crazy to English translator?

How is the rise of atheism going to cause the entire world to be infected by a supernatural force that was previously contained inside a fictional hotel?

I think a better analogy would be Jack running around the maze at the end. Jack is like a believer that is desperately searching for something only to discover that the voices in his head sold him a blll of goods and he is now insane, alone and freezing to death.
The best part, was Ozzy saying WE were the deluded ones, while comparing atheists to a fictional character in a horror movie... I mean... Wow.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:24 PM

33,514 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Quote:
The article says there has been virtually no change in evangelical base for the past 20 years. Period. Stop trying to distort the truth. We are not going away any time soon. I find it hypocritical that you will accept this kind of evidence WITHOUT QUESTION yet similar evidence that shows suicide rates skyrocketing with the increase of nones is completely rejected. Until you dig into the reasons for the decline or increase then there is nothing to conclude here.
What you need to ask Jeff is who is committing suicide.

Suicide ideation was greater among depressed patients who considered religion more important.

Past suicide attempts were more common among depressed patients with a religious affiliation. Additionally, suicide ideation was more severe among depressed patients who said religion is more important, and among those who attend services more frequently.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990512/

Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jeff, the ONLY trendline that is going up is the "nones", of which at least 1/3 are atheists/agnostics. The only flatline group is Jewish (no surprise) and somewhat surprisingly, to me at least, is Black Protestant, although even they have a slight downward trend.

Repeat. Only the "nones" are increasing. Irrefutably.
Quote:
Something else is increasing too.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-s...ce-2000-2018-6

Yea yea, I already know you'll find some way to deny cold hard facts from the CDC.
Jeff, are you implicitly admitting that atheism is increasing? Because if you are, you have a (very) loose correlation between the increase of atheism and suicide rates. But if you deny the increase of atheism, then you have no such correlation and you must admit that atheism has nothing to do with suicide.

Which argument would you like to abandon? You cannot hold on to both because they contradict one another.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,301,683 times
Quote:
And we've already seen what happens in history when atheists get power and become leaders. Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot. Rivers of blood. Might as well start digging those mass graves if atheists are going to take over. Because if we adopt a society that rules completely under logic and reason, how long would it be before people who can't contribute to society like the weak and elderly are eliminated by law? Because that's the logical thing to do especially if you have limited resources. The world needs empathy and love. That's how you built a better world.
More secular nations show a lot more live and emphathy than does your more religious country. I see little emphathy from you towards those who are not themselves Bible Believers. Lenin was no worse a leader that the Zars he replaced. Stalin and Pol Pot were mad men. What about the genocides committed by King Leopold, or by Hitler, tall the Holy Wars and the near genocides of natives of the Americas.

The City of Medicine Hat applied logic and reasoning and eliminated homelessness in this city. Is that bad? The less religious and more social democratic nations provide more healthcare, benefits and stronger support for their citizens and seem less afraid to take in refuges. Do you know that the year the Syrian refugee problem was at its worse that Canada with 36 million pop took in about three times the number of refugees than the US, or about 30 times per capita, or that a family having a child get a full year leave off work and receive unemployment benefits?

Cuba has provided not only universal healthcare but is rated as a better healthcare system than your country and they export doctors to countries that really need them. But all you can concentrate on are the few terrible leaders who happened to be atheists. At the start of both world wars each country involved was a Christian nation, your Civil War was fought primary by Christians and lead by Christians.

And if you bothered to actually listen to what an atheist tells you, much of our lives are govern by emotiins, we live, hate, laugh and cry because of emotiins. We just use evidence and logic when we make decisions that require them. Looking up babies is emotional, and support those who do so are not signs of emphathy and love. You want the world to be a better place , increase your tolerance for liberals, LBGT, atheists and those in need. Find out the facts about others before judging them. Is someone arguing with you because you are a Christian or because you just said an odd thing?

Old 04-11-2019, 04:35 PM

33,514 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Quote:
And it's also a huge leap to suggest that atheism is going to rise by leaps and bounds just because one study shows more people check marking "none" on a survey.
It's already risen by leaps and bounds world wide.

There have long been predictions that religion would fade from relevancy as the world modernizes, but all the recent surveys are finding that it’s happening startlingly fast. France will have a majority secular population soon. So will the Netherlands and New Zealand. The United Kingdom and Australia will soon lose Christian majorities. Religion is rapidly becoming less important than it’s ever been.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...sing-religion/

Old 04-11-2019, 04:40 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's already risen by leaps and bounds world wide.

There have long been predictions that religion would fade from relevancy as the world modernizes, but all the recent surveys are finding that it’s happening startlingly fast. France will have a majority secular population soon. So will the Netherlands and New Zealand. The United Kingdom and Australia will soon lose Christian majorities. Religion is rapidly becoming less important than it’s ever been.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...sing-religion/
There are positives to this disposal of the "dirty bathwater of religion" but I am concerned for the "baby" (Belief in God) that might be thrown out with it. Fortunately, the "Nones" at least evince a tendency to retain the "baby" in some form minus the trappings of religious dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.