Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet you are the ones with the imaginary five friends.
I don't even know what you mean. But most people would say it's more sane to see things that other people don't, rather than to deny what is in plain sight.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I feel like an adult sometimes. Watching a group of mentally ill children at play through the window above the children's playroom, standing with the doctors. All of the other adults are just shaking their heads in agreement as if to say: "Yes, it's all very sad isn't it. But they don't seem to want to change".
Are you sure you're on the side of the glass with the doctors?

Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, you're the one that doesn't get it, even though you've asked this before and been answered before. But here is a restatement of at least a few of the reasons:

1. Many christians believe that the bible (remember, you criticized me just a few days ago when I explained this and I called it the babble) is the exact word of god. Some say it was written by the hand of god.

2. Virtually all christians use deception to explain away the inconsistencies and nonsensical stories of the bible. When it's to their advantage in a discussion they argue that the bible is an historical book. But when it's to their advantage in a discussion, they change and say that no, it's a book of allegories. It's a very dishonest way of discussing things, and they use it to the hilt in discussing things like Adam & Eve and the Biblical Flood. YOU do it often.

3. Who are we arguing with? Apparently you...for one.

Maybe he, like all the other fundies, have the people who answered on ignore?

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-21-2019 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Make quoted text visible.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Maybe he, like all the other fundies, have the people who answered on ignore?
ignore is the primary weapon of the Fundy. they call it shunning tho?

Old 04-21-2019, 01:49 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You started this thread with this title: God's Existence Avoids the Infinite Regress trap of a CreatorLater, you said:
Most religions believe what, exactly? Where is it defined that God exists to create humans?
This seems to reveal the back-to-front thinking you are using to interpret my views. Where did you get this idea that I ever said anything about why God exists. I have been explaining why WE exist.
Quote:
You said God is why we exist. I asked what your basis is for saying that. Which Bible verse says that God is the reason for human existence? I suppose you could say that Genesis says that in the sense that it says God created man, but what you said was that God is the reason why we exist. What is your basis for saying that? In other words, WHY did God create man? Once again, what is it that most religions believe that you can't see to be able to communicate clearly?
This convoluted reasoning is very confusing. What is the difference between God creating us and God as the reason why we exist? I do not see the distinction. It is a pretty general belief among those who believe in God. I am simply providing a different rationale from the magical one used in most religions. You want to isolate my non-magical views about God as not religion or spirituality which is preposterous. Ask yourself why you would want to do that.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This seems to reveal the back-to-front thinking you are using to interpret my views. Where did you get this idea that I ever said anything about why God exists. I have been explaining why WE exist. This convoluted reasoning is very confusing. What is the difference between God creating us and God as the reason why we exist? I do not see the distinction. It is a pretty general belief among those who believe in God. I am simply providing a different rationale from the magical one used in most religions. You want to isolate my non-magical views about God as not religion or spirituality which is preposterous. Ask yourself why you would want to do that.
The reason my blood cells exist is due to me "living". I did not create them.

I can interact with them to a point.

yes, they try to isolate specific set of gods so that some anti-religious/god can continue on their rampage. Basically, they define what god is and then get to tell us what is evidence and what is not ecidence. all based on their specific statement of belief.

we have seen that when we adjust a set of traits to a belief using science .. that doesn't end well for the anti-god sect of atheism. the rest of atheism is just fine with it.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:53 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This seems to reveal the back-to-front thinking you are using to interpret my views. Where did you get this idea that I ever said anything about why God exists. I have been explaining why WE exist. This convoluted reasoning is very confusing. What is the difference between God creating us and God as the reason why we exist? I do not see the distinction. It is a pretty general belief among those who believe in God. I am simply providing a different rationale from the magical one used in most religions. You want to isolate my non-magical views about God as not religion or spirituality which is preposterous. Ask yourself why you would want to do that.
I should have known better than to ask you to make sense. You didn't answer what I asked. Twice.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I should have known better than to ask you to make sense. You didn't answer what I asked. Twice.
yeah, you did the same to me when you claimed I said atheist.theist is personality disorder and i asked you why you changed what I said.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't understand why so many atheists here seem to be stuck on Bible literalism. They can't get past it...or else they don't WANT to. Most Christians don't even agree with the claims you make about them. So who exactly are you arguing with, not counting the exception of a very small minority of fundamentalists who probably don't even post in this forum?
Are you for real?

You didn't read the several threads on Ark Encounter?

Ark Encounter is a creationist theme park in Kentucky (in Grant County about 30 minutes south of me in Cincinnati, Ohio).

That's more than just "a small minority."

You also ignore a very, very large segment who don't believe Earth is 6,000 years old, yet still believe the Earth/Universe was created in six days and the whole Noah story and the talking snake, and everything else.

Lest you forget, a 2014 Gallup poll demonstrated:

1) 56% believe Adam and Eve are real
2) 55% believe creationism and/or intelligent design should be taught in school
3) 51% the bible is the actual or inspired word of god
4) 41% believe humans did not evolve from non-human life forms
5) 37% believe god created the Earth/Universe in six days.

Those are not "a small minority" no matter how much you wail. Those are simple majorities and large minorities.

If the bible isn't literal, then it's of no real value, because allegory is subjective and subject to wide interpretation, which makes it meaningless.

On its face, you can group the books by type:

1) mytho-history including cosmogony and the story of the patriarchs
2) prose works like Ruth, Proverbs, Psalms and Lamentations
3) prophesy, like Ezekiel, Isaiah and the latter prophets
4) history (Kings, Chronicles and Judges)

The histories are marginally valuable, even though they're filled with propaganda and disinformation.

In the Prism Stela, Sennacherib claims he kept Josiah caged up like a bird.

Josiah claims an angel of god killed 185,000 of Sennacherib's men and so Sennacherib left (see Kings and Chronicles).

What are we to make of that?

Sennacherib is the clear victor here, in spite of the fact that he was unable to force his way into Jerusalem.

The whole point of laying siege is to get into a city, which Sennacherib failed to to, but he did succeed in his mission, which was exacting tribute from the Kingdom of Judah and relegating King Josiah back to vassal status.

We know that, because Kings and Chronicles say Josiah gave Sennacherib 30 talents of gold, 600 talents of silver, lots of antimony and ivory and other valuable things.

So, if an angel of god really did smote 185,000 of Sennacherib's men, why pay him off?

And, why didn't the angel of god kill Sennacherib?

God's failure to kill Sennacherib is the direct cause of the collapse of the Kingdom of Judah and the destruction of the Hebrews.

If god kills Sennacherib, then the Assyrian kingdom is in disarray, and the Kingdom of Judah expands, retaking all the territory conquered by Sennacherib -- and that's the one thing the Prism Stela and Kings and Chronicles do agree upon and that Sennacherib captured 42 walled-cities -- gains even more territory and it has a chance against Babylon.

Instead, the intelligentsia in Judah is divided among pro-Assyrian and pro-Babylonian groups -- including Jeremiah, Saphan and Gedaliah, but the kings are ardently pro-Assyrian. Babylon crushes Assyria taking over, and then when Zedekiah rebels against Babylonians, Nebuchadnezzar kills his sons in front of him and then blinds Zedekiah.

Then Nebuchadnezzar appoints Gedaliah as governor, but someone assassinates Gedaliah, and Nebuchadnezzar returns and destroys Jerusalem, with many Hebrews ironically fleeing to Egypt and the rest carted off and taken back to Babylon.

Not only is Yahweh a poor general, he's not very smart and he set the Hebrews up for failure, which gives me a Million reasons not to want to worship the Yahweh-Jesus-Ghosty-Thing.

Why would I worship someone intellectually (and morally) inferior to me?

Oddly, one can't help but notice Allah never set Muslims up for failure.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's a means to an end. You will always claim some type of victimhood against random people because you have a stomp speech to sale. Why do you think you have to babysit the forum and continuously remind posters that you've debunked various topics they'd like to discuss, to your satisfaction?
Why do I have to explain or justify myself to anyone? I am interested in the subject, I think it matters and it's fun. How about that to be going on with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality