Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Don't know if eliminating world hunger is ever going to happen but anyone who has money to their name should thank God for what he has and give at least something to a food bank or similar organization. Just my opinion.
Did god give these people money to their name like it was it part of its plan?

How do you know they don’t?

God has streets of gold. Why isn’t it ponying up the food bill since it IS the father?

Dear god, please start up that manna from heaven factory in the sky and feed your starving children you poop head.

^^^^
That’s what you guys scream when you find out your taxes are spent on feeding others children, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The (F)father is fictional to you, what are you doing to combat hunger?

Never heard of it and most Christians seem to have a fairly decent work ethic.
The father is an actual Omni-father to you. What are you doing about your deadbeat Omni-father and it’s intentional starvation of its children?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Did god give these people money to their name like it was it part of its plan?

How do you know they don’t?

God has streets of gold. Why isn’t it ponying up the food bill since it IS the father?

Dear god, please start up that manna from heaven factory in the sky and feed your starving children you poop head.

^^^^
That’s what you guys scream when you find out your taxes are spent on feeding others children, right?
Who's the real poop-head, you or the figure you deem imaginary? Speaking of starving children, hope the topic doesn't ruin your breakfast.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nah...It's obvious that this type of thing is almost always meant as a mock and insult of those that believe in The Bible.
Like the cartoon of the man standing on a dock next to a post that has a life preserver attached to a rope hung on it. There is a man in the water that is struggling and sinking...and yells to the guy on the dock to help him. Instead of throwing him the tube...he yells, "Thoughts and prayers to ya, man! Thoughts and prayers!!"

Notice the references of the story in The Bible about Jehovah sending, "manna from heaven"...and an inquiry about why he doesn't still do that in answer to the prayers for aid to the starving?

It is obviously a metaphorical and allegorical story...and there was never actually any food sent from heaven to feed people in the desert.
They know full well it is not a literal story...but seek to bash those that believe it is.
Otherwise...they would just say, " You know those are representative stories that use metaphorical characters and allegorical scenarios to convey a philosophical message or convey an idea, right? It isn't literally true."
Instead of always coming across as a wiseguy asking taunting questions like, "What's up with your omnipotent God letting people starve to death when you prayed for them to be fed? Where's the manna at?"
They do not believe Jehovah exists...but critique and assess his conduct. And they mostly do it to mock those who are believers.
I can't speak for the others, but my posts here were not at all to mock. And when you say we don't believe the manna story is literally true, well, I sure did for most of my life.

I'm participating in this thread because I spent most of my life trying to reconcile verses about prayer with what I experienced in real life.

Examples:
And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Because I attended a fundamentalist Bible Church, neither the pastor nor anyone else there would ever come right out and say, "Well, those verses are not literally true." No, they'd jump through mental hoops with excuses like, "God always answers prayer, but sometimes His answer is No" or "God wants you to wait patiently for His answer." (How long anniversary supposed to "wait" after the person I prayed for died???)

Clearly we don't always get what we ask for in prayer.

It would be like a young man in love telling his sweetheart that he would do anything for her. When she asks him to taker her dancing, he tells her no. So clearly, he would NOT do anything she asked.

It just bothers me that to this day, Christian fundamentalists (of which I still have many friends) will not just come out and say "Ok, those verses are not literally true." They believe (or at least SAY they believe) that every word of the Bible is literally true, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.....including the fact that praying for world hunger to end will not cause it to end.

Again, I'm not mocking. I'm just pointing out a mindset (which I held for decades myself) that makes no logical sense. If anyone could help me make sense of it, I'd be thrilled to go back to church.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't speak for the others, but my posts here were not at all to mock. And when you say we don't believe the manna story is literally true, well, I sure did for most of my life.

I'm participating in this thread because I spent most of my life trying to reconcile verses about prayer with what I experienced in real life.

Examples:
And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Because I attended a fundamentalist Bible Church, neither the pastor nor anyone else there would ever come right out and say, "Well, those verses are not literally true." No, they'd jump through mental hoops with excuses like, "God always answers prayer, but sometimes His answer is No" or "God wants you to wait patiently for His answer." (How long anniversary supposed to "wait" after the person I prayed for died???)

Clearly we don't always get what we ask for in prayer.

It would be like a young man in love telling his sweetheart that he would do anything for her. When she asks him to taker her dancing, he tells her no. So clearly, he would NOT do anything she asked.

It just bothers me that to this day, Christian fundamentalists (of which I still have many friends) will not just come out and say "Ok, those verses are not literally true." They believe (or at least SAY they believe) that every word of the Bible is literally true, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.....including the fact that praying for world hunger to end will not cause it to end.

Again, I'm not mocking. I'm just pointing out a mindset (which I held for decades myself) that makes no logical sense. If anyone could help me make sense of it, I'd be thrilled to go back to church.
Praying for world hunger to end will not cause it to end as long as there is capitalism...there are investments being made to maintain starvation and imprisonment.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Who's the real poop-head, you or the figure you deem imaginary? Speaking of starving children, hope the topic doesn't ruin your breakfast.
Why do you make so many excuses for this god you worship who creates and starves its creation?

Your god, that starves 20000 children every day, must love me, I had a wonderful breakfast.

Tell us about your breakfast.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Praying for world hunger to end will not cause it to end as long as there is capitalism...there are investments being made to maintain starvation and imprisonment.
So why not pray for capitalism go away?

Why does it take a atheist to show you your way?

Old 05-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Where’d you go gabfest?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
That didn't answer my post at all.

I will simplify it: is it true, or is it not true, that "whatsoever we ask in Jesus' name, He will do" ? John 14:13

Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That didn't answer my post at all.

I will simplify it: is it true, or is it not true, that "whatsoever we ask in Jesus' name, He will do" ? John 14:13
I'm trying to remember what was told to me when I was a kid and asked about this. I think it was something along the lines of "only if you ask for the right things".

Of course, there's no list of right things given after the verse...

The only prayers I make these days is to ask for guidance. Not in such pretty words, either. It's more along the lines of "OK, help me figure out what I should do about THIS." If I do that and let it go, the answer seems to become apparent within a reasonable amount of time. Of course, it can easily be argued that doing this allows my mind to open up to see other possibilities than the limited or obvious ones in front of me, or that new information comes along that helps me make the decision I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality