Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM

31,374 posts, read 19,996,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Goldie is a deist who either does not understand logic, or likes posts to get responses.
Been about three years since I read a post of his. He's a waste of time and bandwidth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,586,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yes that would "appear" to be the case. And I'm guessing that Christians here who do believe it is true are avoiding discussing the topic with me because they think I'm trying to back then into a corner or something. I'm truly not.

I'm genuinely trying to understand the mindset I held for so long, in which something that "appears" to be untrue somehow mysteriously IS true. As a former fundamentalist/literalist, once a couple of foundational "Jenga pieces" were pulled out (including these kind of prayer promise verses), my entire faith eventually toppled. And ever since that traumatic loss of my faith, I've been trying to figure out
1) how in the world I ever believed things that, even back then didn't make any sense to the logical part of my brain, and
2) if there is any way I could ever again be comfortable in a Christian church (as I do miss many aspects of it) when I cannot believe the things its guidebook says.

So it really is more of a question about how do Christians (particularly ones who say the Bible is inerrant) share their faith with people who are stuck on things like this.
How long ago? Do you still feel traumatized?

For me, it was an incredibly freeing thing. Everything just...clicked. I realized that I had not really believed any of it for quite some time.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,586,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Wow, is this really the best way you know how to share your beliefs? I never said I was bothered that the vast majority of the world is religious. I said nothing like that at all. I posted here with sincere questions, and you respond to me with hatred.

Really??? And I would want to adopt your belief system because......?????
We have a handful of posters who take every opportunity to stand on their soapbox and go on about their favorite rant, whether it is germane or not. The rants tend to be illogical, full of inaccuracies, and a bit "off". You learn to just skip their posts.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:21 PM

23,154 posts, read 26,041,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Goldie is a deist who either does not understand logic, or likes posts to get responses.
I'm not going to try to find it but even though I may not remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, I DO remember a post he made admitting that

Old 05-03-2019, 02:25 PM

6,451 posts, read 6,604,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How long ago? Do you still feel traumatized?

For me, it was an incredibly freeing thing. Everything just...clicked. I realized that I had not really believed any of it for quite some time.
It all came undone about 12 years ago. It does not still feel *traumatic*, but I will probably always feel troubled by, or at least deeply regret, that part of my life. I raised my children that way (I have definitely apologized, and thankfully they no longer hold those beliefs), I even homeschooled them so they wouldn't be "contaminated by the world." I think my kids still resent that I kinda ruined their childhood, then pulled the rug out from under them with a "Whoops, I guess I was wrong about everything I taught you" when they were late teens to early 20s.

It actually took me about 3 years to fully pull away and finally stop feeling like I was going to go to hell. THAT was the terrifying part. But I finally realized if the only way I could avoid hell was to continue faking it, well, that made no sense whatsoever. What kind of God would care more about what I BELIEVED (which 3 years of faking it taught me I had no control over) instead of caring how I lived my life???

Old 05-03-2019, 02:26 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,639,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You certainly do like to paint over the wide variations in the religious world which, in reality, tend to cancel each other out.
<snp
So get hip and disabuse yourself of the "god belief". It's too wildly diverse to be real.
The beliefs ABOUT God have no impact on the Existence of God which remains an empirical question.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:01 PM

16,578 posts, read 4,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The beliefs ABOUT God have no impact on the Existence of God which remains an empirical question.
Gods, plural. And using Bayes, the different beliefs about different gods does have an impact on the probability on the existence of a god or gods. I thought you had taught this for 30 years?

Old 05-03-2019, 04:05 PM

16,578 posts, read 4,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Been about three years since I read a post of his. He's a waste of time and bandwidth.
Really? The logical conclusion of his arguments that the universe is a rubber duck is a waste of time and bandwidth?

For me, this is like digging in the garden and finding gold. OK, that is hyperbole. OK, for me, this is like digging in the garden and finding a piece of broken colored glass.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:06 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Which of many gods.

I assume you're talking about Ganesh.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:13 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which of many gods.

I assume you're talking about Ganesh.
I like Ganesh. He helps one overcome obstacles, but he also provides the obstacles in the first place. I think that's a wonderful way of helping us humans stretch ourselves farther than we might have otherwise.

Or else he's just mean and setting us up for his own entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality