Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM

8,504 posts, read 3,746,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do you not comprehend the bold? It is the essence of defining for ourselves and that is capricious and constrained by either consensus or fiat. To me, if even our very existence has no purpose or reason, making some up may facilitate our social interactions but I consider them useful but meaningless. YMMV.
It is not meaningless if it give us purpose (individually, not universally) regardless of what ‘our purpose’ as a whole is, if there is one. It is you who does not understand as you are speaking in terms of humanity and a reason for existence whereas I am speaking to finding one’s own individual purpose (which, of course, is capricious). If we don’t define it (and think for/‘make it up’) ourselves, who will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 02:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,497,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
In my opinion, the quote doesn’t speak to ‘something’. To the contrary, it speaks to individual control and the ability to choose/maneuver one’s course (despite the things one can’t control such as the wind).
for me it doesn't because we all can build "personal boats" but there will be designs that work better than others. the waterways control the type of boat people can build and things like what you are doing with the boat that limit it also.

But you are right too its not all all or nothing a fair for me. You can go where you want, you just can't do what you want. you don't go with the wind in the same manor you go against the wind. there are better ways and not so much ways to go about whatever you are trying to do.

"personal gods" are like art to me, you can draw any type of building you want that doesn't mean we can build it or that it is useful.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you for that.

It Could be...but I believe not. The principle of reciprocity (the golden rule) works quite convincingly as an obvious truce - shall we say - situation that emerges after the feuds have pretty munch rubbed everyone out. If a morality that was handed down (or 'written on our hearts' as Paul describes what is essentially, instinct - evolved or educated) did not exist, it would have been necessary - in fact vital in a society more complex than stone age hunter - gathering - to invent one. And that, I believe, is what we did.
you believe in anti-god and anti-religion, the reason are as flimsy as my god only types.

the fact that you believe in your sects statement of belief is meaningless when we place it on a relative validity scale.

the way you make it seem more real to you is eliminate all the competition. you don't care how you eliminate it either.

your comes up so short and its followers so certain, that it s actually dangerous.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
for me it doesn't because we all can build "personal boats" but there will be designs that work better than others. the waterways control the type of boat people can build and things like what you are doing with the boat that limit it also.

But you are right too its not all all or nothing a fair for me. You can go where you want, you just can't do what you want. you don't go with the wind in the same manor you go against the wind. there are better ways and not so much ways to go about whatever you are trying to do.

"personal gods" are like art to me, you can draw any type of building you want that doesn't mean we can build it or that it is useful.
The analogy/quote speaks to adjusting the sails (so we may maneuver the boat); it does not speak to building a different boat. We have control of our lives, in essence, despite the things we don’t (such as the wind).

That said, nothing I draw would be useful.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,291,660 times
Quote:
It is not meaningless if it give us purpose (individually, not universally) regardless of what ‘our purpose’ as a whole is, if there is one. It is you who does not understand as you are speaking in terms of humanity and a reason for existence whereas I am speaking to finding one’s own individual purpose (which, of course, is capricious). If we don’t define it (and think for/‘make it up’) ourselves, who will?
One can easily find one's purpose I'd life without any gods or goddesses. One does not need to believe that they are sinners who must spend their entire life repenting for imagined wrong doings so that they may have a life after this one. In fact that, to me, makes this life meaningless. I d9nt need someone else to define a meaning for my life, in fact I object to when religious folks try impinge their beliefs upon me assuming that I need the beliefs in order to have meaning in mine.

As far as love goes one can learn more about it from a dog then from most religious people. A dog immediately loves one for themselves not as a project to change into believing something just on their say so.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
One can easily find one's purpose I'd life without any gods or goddesses. One does not need to believe that they are sinners who must spend their entire life repenting for imagined wrong doings so that they may have a life after this one. In fact that, to me, makes this life meaningless. I d9nt need someone else to define a meaning for my life, in fact I object to when religious folks try impinge their beliefs upon me assuming that I need the beliefs in order to have meaning in mine.
That’s my point - we find our own purpose (and is why I stated so in previous posts). A universal ‘reason’ for being here by which to be judged in order to get to the ‘next level’ is an absurd reason to love. To love (or do anything) as a reason to obtain ‘favor’ to a ‘heaven’ is not genuine but rather personally motivated behavior.

It doesn’t bother me in the least what other people may or may not believe on a personal level - just as I’m certain they don’t care what I think.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-09-2019 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
The analogy/quote speaks to adjusting the sails (so we may maneuver the boat); it does not speak to building a different boat. We have control of our lives, in essence, despite the things we don’t (such as the wind).

That said, nothing I draw would be useful.
gotcha ... maybe I over thought it. so back to sails only ... there are better ways to go against the wind and better ways to go with the wind. If one doesn't understand sailing, there will be trouble.

I would say we have control so long as we use the wind's properties as it relates to sailing.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

As far as love goes one can learn more about it from a dog then from most religious people. A dog immediately loves one for themselves not as a project to change into believing something just on their say so.
lmao, from a dog more than people ... thats just funny.

it kind of helps me understand.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,755,133 times
Quote:
Do you not comprehend the bold? It is the essence of defining for ourselves and that is capricious and constrained by either consensus or fiat. To me, if even our very existence has no purpose or reason, making some up may facilitate our social interactions but I consider them useful but meaningless. YMMV.
Quote:
We do not disagree on the effectiveness of an individual purpose to this existence, but if this existence has an ultimate purpose to "birth" a specific "spiritual being," it behooves us to try to ensure that we are doing that. So, as long as you do NOT believe we have such an ultimate purpose, live and let live, I say. However, I have personal reasons to believe we have such a purpose - to produce as much love in this world as possible - and I have been trying my best to achieve it and encourage it.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
We do not disagree on the effectiveness of an individual purpose to this existence, but if this existence has an ultimate purpose to "birth" a specific "spiritual being," it behooves us to try to ensure that we are doing that. So, as long as you do NOT believe we have such an ultimate purpose, live and let live, I say. However, I have personal reasons to believe we have such a purpose - to produce as much love in this world as possible - and I have been trying my best to achieve it and encourage it.
I agree, I am just less emotional than you.

we are here to "live". "living" is the purpose for now. That "living" implies loving and helping others for me. In fact, I think its more living than self serving living.

But I understand that a personal thing. I am sailing a particular way and hoping its ok in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality